Brought home #4 today...

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Re: Brought home #4 today...

Postby Buzzard Wing » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:17 pm

The 64 I got from Fla had loaded tires, found out when I went to yank them to get the rims sandblasted :shock:. Turns out they were loaded with water, and somehow survived the yankee winter without damage. I drained them and replaced the tubes.

My Lo Boy that I use for mowing and snowplowing has a set of loaded tires on aftermarket rims that came off another Lo Boy. There is no apparent leak, so they are still loaded. In my thinking the liquid gives a lower center of gravity than wheel weights (which you have too), so a sensible option on hills. You may want to reconsider draining them.

I like Zenith carbs too.

Enjoy that Cub, it's pretty cool.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:26 pm

Buzzard Wing wrote:. . . Turns out they were loaded with water, and somehow survived the yankee winter without damage. . . .

They will generally survive freezing as long as you don't move it while frozen. If you move it, the tires will be torn up in no time.

clintmo
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: 26033
Tractors Owned: 49 Cub
55 Cub

Postby clintmo » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:50 pm

Buzzard Wing wrote:You may want to reconsider draining them.

I'm guessing they're filled with calcium judging by how rusty the rims are compared to the rest of the tractor, but I don't know. The PO didn't know they were filled until we tried airing up the tires. I don't really want the difficulty of handling them when off the tractor. I'm pretty satisfied with the stability of my other Cubs being set wide and with weights. Seems like the weight of loaded tires is that much more load on the Cub. I probably won't mess with them until I get the tractor running, so I'll have time to think on it.

Buzzard Wing wrote:I like Zenith carbs too.

How are they different from the IH? In performance and maintenance?

Thanks, everyone.
Clint

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:00 pm

clintmo wrote:How are they different from the IH? In performance and maintenance?

Not much difference. Repair parts for the Zenith may be a little harder to find and more expensive. McDonald Carburetor has a pretty good selection, though.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

clintmo
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
55 Cub

Postby clintmo » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:01 am

We'll, it seems to be a little stuck. I got a chance to go out last night and get a little more acquainted with my new old friend. Put a crank in it and got a partial turn with some difficulty and then it locked up. Rocked it around in 3rd but it didn't budge. I haven't gotten it inside yet so I don't have the hood off. I'll make a place in the building for it and then I'll be able to more fully investigate.

Clint
Last edited by clintmo on Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:25 am

That could be a stuck valve. It probably can be made to turn part of a turn backwards. I good next step is to pull the valve cover and take a look. Squirt some penetrating oil on the stems and try to put some through the spark plug holes onto the valves.

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:03 pm

Tractor Supply sells a valve stem adapter that lets you connect a garden hose.

You can minimize fluid spillage by jacking up the wheel so the weight is off it. Turn the valve stem to the 12:00 position, and remove the valve stem to let the air out. You can then screw on the adapter and hose, rotate the tire 180 degrees, and start pumping.

There's no way to get the adapter on there without losing most of the air.

danovercash
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28081

Postby danovercash » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:26 pm

With a few pieces of plumbing and a schrader valve you could make an adapter to put low pressure air back in tire between adapter and drain hose. If you don't siphon from inside there will be considerable liquid in tube you can't easily get out. BTDT.
"I'd rather be a mechanic in the shop"- Henry Ford

252646 & 221525. 195897 (Gone, but not forgotten)

Thackery
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Thackery » Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:45 pm

#4, you are gaining ground fast. You may catch Barnyard if you keep going at this rate for maybe another 40-50 years.
I have 4 in the barn now, all runners. It is great to have a Cub with a implement mounted and ready at any time.
I like the wide stance but it may not do much but get in the way. You know your hills, so you will figure it out.
Good luck with the partial stuck, just be patient.
As for the loaded tires, my 2nd Cub had loaded tires and I never bothered with them until the rims started to rust out.
I can say that handling them was a chore and actually could be dangerous if you are not prepared for the load they can exert on you when they start to get off center.
My brother-in-law put beet juice in his tires for loading.
Thackery
1953 Cub, Sickle Mower, 42" Mower, Cultivators, 189 Double Plow, 54 Blade, Grader Blade
1968 Lo-Boy w/1000 Loader, 1957 Lo-Boy w/FH, FH Disc, FH Potato Plow.

clintmo
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
55 Cub

Postby clintmo » Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:23 am

Thackery wrote:I have 4 in the barn now, all runners. Thackery

I actually thought of you when considering whether four was too many. "How many did Doug say he had? Was it four? He seems like a reasonable guy."

Thackery wrote:I like the wide stance but it may not do much but get in the way. You know your hills, so you will figure it out.Thackery

Definitely gonna get in the way. I have a spare set of rear tires and rims. I think those loaded tires and the spacers are coming off and the spares are going on, just so it doesn't take up so much room in my already crowded quonset hut.

Thackery wrote:As for the loaded tires, my 2nd Cub had loaded tires and I never bothered with them until the rims started to rust out.
I can say that handling them was a chore and actually could be dangerous if you are not prepared for the load they can exert on you when they start to get off center.Thackery

The rims are already getting pretty rusty. And yes, I'm already dreading handling those tires/wheels off the tractor with the wheel weights where they are, throwing the balance off. I think I'll enlist a helper. If one of those things goes down, I'll never get it back up alone.

Good to hear from you, Thackery. Missed seeing you at the Cub Tug.

Clint

danovercash
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28081

Postby danovercash » Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:35 pm

Engine lift might come in handy. Used a trailer mounted cherry picker to handle the second to last one. Loaded a loaded rear in back of pickup several times. Take rim off center then remove weights if needed. The rim I had to replace rusted from the outside in because the stem leaked, inside still had good paint.
"I'd rather be a mechanic in the shop"- Henry Ford

252646 & 221525. 195897 (Gone, but not forgotten)

Thackery
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Thackery » Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:47 pm

Funny," I'm a reasonable guy", I need you to tell my critics that.

I have a Zenith on the latest Lo-Boy I bought as well. I have not messed with it, but have not needed to.
It runs great other than it will start and then quite in about 10 seconds then start and run great.
I really like that Lo-Boy so far, quiet, good power, no smoke.

Give us updates as you get time to troubleshoot your #4. Typically it only takes patience.
Thackery
1953 Cub, Sickle Mower, 42" Mower, Cultivators, 189 Double Plow, 54 Blade, Grader Blade
1968 Lo-Boy w/1000 Loader, 1957 Lo-Boy w/FH, FH Disc, FH Potato Plow.

redman36
Zip Code: 23234
Tractors Owned: 49 IH cub
50 I h cub

Postby redman36 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:18 pm

on the partial turn stuck you might check if has magneto. had my generator to lock upon trying to crank,would turn about 180/200 degrees then lock. after stripping motor and not finding problem I pulled genset from engine ,still same problem. removed magneto to find snap coupling weight broke off engine and genset fine. after putting it back learned to remove any rotating part before tear down. 7 1/2 kw kohler lesson learned. Good luck on find

clintmo
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
55 Cub

Re: Brought home #4 today... (stuck engine UPDATE)

Postby clintmo » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:11 am

I was finally able to make a place in the building for #4 a month or so ago. Tonight I decided to get started trying to get it unstuck. I hit a snag when the third plug would not budge. I've never had a spark plug stick like this before. Does anyone think this suggests that that is the cylinder where the trouble lies? I have PB Blaster in the other three and on the stuck plug. I didn't have the time to remove the hood, but if the plug won't free up after some good soaking I will remove the hood and get a socket on there.

Any thoughts and suggestions are appreciated!

Clint

staninlowerAL
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1)'52, (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (1)'72 154 Number Series Loboy, '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '53 MM BG (offset), (2) '49 Avery V's, '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76 Yanmar 1500, Sears Surburban's, MTD's, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:01 am

I think its a long shot to say that a stuck plug has anything to do with a stuck engine UNLESS there is some way for moisture to get into the cylinder (maybe through a valve that was open and the exhaust was left uncovered). You will probably have to get the hood off to work on it more. Maybe try tapping the base of the plug while it is soaking, sometimes that helps the lubricant get down around the threads. Also you might consider some heat on the base of the plug. Stan