This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

starter problems

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
tldec50
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 30553
Tractors Owned: 1948 farmall cub tractor
1962 massey ferguson 35 diesel
1952 john deere mt
1955 john deere crawler
1941 ford business coupe
1959 el camino
1977 international cub
1969 int'l 154
1958 420w john deere
Circle of Safety: Y

starter problems

Postby tldec50 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:12 pm

My cub starter was dragging and would not start.Took the cover off and the brushes were worn out.I removed the starter took it to a starter shop for a rebuild.When I got it back it was a pretty semi gloss black.Took it home and installed it and when I pulled the starter nothing.Checked voltage to the starter and had 12 volts.Since 12 volts was at the starter and it had one wire in, it had to be a ground problem.I cleaned the starter case where the starter bolts attached to bear metal,put the bolts on a wire wheel till shiny and cleaned the starter bolt threads in the bell housing with a battery post circular wire brush. Cleaned the paint off the mating surface of the starter and bell housing with a wire brush coated the bare metal with a light coat of grease and the bolts with the same. Re-installed the starter and it spins like a top and starts first time every time.Thought this might save someone some time since these cubs arg getting old and the starter bolts get dirty and rusty over time and they lose their grounding capability along with a build up of paint in the wrong places.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

JGtools
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 55325
Tractors Owned: 1958 ih 340 utility
1950 farmall cub
1948 ford 8n
kubota 3240
IH 154 loboy

Re: starter problems

Postby JGtools » Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:04 pm

Yup,I agree with shiny ground contacts. I painted my cub a few years back, and ran into the same problem as you. Once I wire wheeled the fresh paint off the starter and torque tube,all was good.

49wvcub
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 26833

Re: starter problems

Postby 49wvcub » Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:44 pm

Good Job.. I think grounding causes more problems than many realize on a electrical system. Most of the time that seems to be a good place to start troubleshooting electrical systems. :{_}:

Return to “Farmall Cub”