This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

The Pennington 600 lives!

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Clip
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 24551
Circle of Safety: Y

The Pennington 600 lives!

Postby Clip » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:31 pm

After probably 20 years of watching this thing rust behind the shed while I grew up, I finally got the chance to breathe new life into the Pennington. It showed up with the rest of the Cub stuff last year and waited patiently until I had the time to grab the parts diagram, source the bearings, seals, belts and blades and finally refurbish it properly. Each spindle has new bearings, snap rings, oil seals and Woodruff keys, new blades, and new belts to tie everything together. The front wheels were brand new replacements bought probably 15 years ago and came with the deck, solid rubber tire.

By far the hardest part was getting the spindles apart to access the bearings. The two-piece pulleys are a smart design but hard to remove without an assortment of chisels, wedges, penetrating oil, heat, and patience. The oil seals were a pain as well as the snap rings but all the bearings pressed out and in smoothly and the mower deck hums now. It leaves an incredible cut too, much wider and smoother than the C-2. I used to think the C-2 could cut lawn as well as heavy brush, but after seeing the results that new blades on the 600 give, I've changed my mind. Looking forward to daylight tomorrow when I can go out and find some more lawn to cut.

Stan, your info was a huge help in getting this thing running again, thanks!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Re: The Pennington 600 lives!

Postby staninlowerAL » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:19 am

Lookin' good!! And glad to be able to help but I can't take any credit. I just passed on information that was shared with me. I do have a few spare parts if you need something. :D Stan
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Re: The Pennington 600 lives!

Postby Stanton » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:57 am

Thanks for sharing your success. Looks like you've got some fun mowing in your future. :coffee:
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Return to “Farmall Cub”