Transmission Hard To Shift

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
olgreyhair
Zip Code: 08848
Tractors Owned: 1952 Farmall Cub
John Deere 445

Transmission Hard To Shift

Postby olgreyhair » Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:31 am

Hello all. I have a new to me Cub that I'm trying to learn the ropes with. My question concerns difficulty shifting. If I idle the engine down I can shift all gears easily but if the engine rpm is up the transmission practically refuses to go in or out of gear. I don't want to bend the shift forks by forcing it. Is this normal behavior? Easy shifting while idling and difficult with rpm? Thanks for your time. G

cub.bub
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: 46628
Tractors Owned: 55 cub, 54a blade, (2) woods L59 mower...Allis Chalmers CA
1965 International 140, 60" grader blade.
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Transmission Hard To Shift

Postby cub.bub » Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:29 am

Welcome!
I'm not an expert like so many others are on here, but I would first look at adjustments, like clutch peddle free travel, and adjustment of clutch fingers.
If you have a manual it will show you, or you can type in a "search" at the top of page and will get you started.
My guess is the pedal free travel. Good luck.
Bruce.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:32 pm

Clarify "hard shifting". Do the gears grind or is it physically more demanding to shift gears?

If the gears are not grinding at high idle, then the problem is in the transmission.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Tiller1940
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 66042
Tractors Owned: 1937 Farmall F-12
1938 Farmall F-20
1940 Farmall B
1940 Farmall A
1950 Farmall C
1952 Farmall Cub

Postby Tiller1940 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:59 pm

If I'm wrong correct me but my owners manual says it should be adjusted so it has about 1 inch of free clutch travel.

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe
52 F-Cub
49 F-Cub

Postby Bill Hudson » Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:41 pm

Tiller1940 wrote:If I'm wrong correct me but my owners manual says it should be adjusted so it has about 1 inch of free clutch travel.

1" of free travel is correct.

Bill
"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

tst
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 12514

Postby tst » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:00 pm

if you can shift the transmission with the engine off then the clutch is not releasing to allow it to shift when running

randallc
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 72940
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall Cub, 152 disk plow, 2 gang disk, belly mower, sickle mower
1949 Farmall Cub, cultivator, moldboard plow, disk,front blade. Cub Cadet, LTX1045 Mower. Cub Cadet's 109, 125, 1000, and 1250
1961 cub c2 belly mower and full blade. 48 cub manual lift with cultivators.

Postby randallc » Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:03 am

Welcome to the forum from Arkansas. And while you are at it, service the transmission if you have not already. May be full of crud but the clutch is the likely culprit.
Guinea, 1951 Farmall Cub; Jumping Willy, 1949 Farmall Cub, 61 Cub, Scrapy, and 48 Cub Al, 48 cub, Billy D.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:24 am

olgreyhair wrote:I have a new to me Cub. Easy shifting while idling and difficult with rpm?
Still waiting for an explanation of "hard shifting" before we condemn the clutch or pilot shaft bushing.

Is the tractor in motion when trying to shift gears? Is the PTO engaged and the mower in motion when trying to shift gears? Do the gears grind at low engine idle?

Unlike a manual transmission in a car or truck, the Cub tractor operator has to wait until everything, forward motion and/or engaged pto, stops before shifting gears.
I have an excuse. CRS.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:15 am

First off, older tractor transmissions do not have synchronizers, so they take lots of practice to shift on the fly. If it grinds gears while stationary you probably have a clutch out of adjustment, a bad throw out bushing, or a bent main transmission shaft. If the shift leaver is hard to move, then you will need to take the top off the transmission and see why.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

olgreyhair
John Deere 445

Postby olgreyhair » Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:19 pm

Thanks for the welcome.
Hard to shift as in the gears grind if the engine rpm is too high. Tractor is stopped, no pto engaged.
As long as I idle it down it seems to go in and out of gear fine. We just bought the property and I haven't had time to service the poor thing at all, but she came with the house. Original owner built the house in '47, and bought this Cub in '52. She's lived her whole life on this land, so I think it's only fitting to spruce her up when I can.

pickerandsinger
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 13143
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub Low Boy w/ FH Mott Flail Mower
1953 Cub w/ sprayer and 54A blade (Chompers)
1954 Cub w/fast hitch (Ira)
1948 Cub ( Papa Paul)with Henderson loader..
1951 Mutt mix Cub (BattleAx
1950 Farmall Cub (basket case demo)
Cub parts tractor
1950 Ferguson TO20 w/ loader (John Henry)
1951 Ferguson TEA 20 (parts)( Uncle Rusty)
F/H Disc Harrow for cub L-38
C-22 Sickle Bar Mower
IH C2 and C3 mower
Universal tool attachment with disc hillers..Rear cultivators (various tips
York Rake for Cub home made
Single bottom Plow for Cub F194
Gravely 5660 12 hp/ w snoblower.rototiller,bush hog

Postby pickerandsinger » Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:26 pm

olgreyhair wrote:Thanks for the welcome.
Hard to shift as in the gears grind if the engine rpm is too high. Tractor is stopped, no pto engaged.
As long as I idle it down it seems to go in and out of gear fine. We just bought the property and I haven't had time to service the poor thing at all, but she came with the house. Original owner built the house in '47, and bought this Cub in '52. She's lived her whole life on this land, so I think it's only fitting to spruce her up when I can.
…..Most of mine require a slow count to 7 for them to shift without grinding….Of course that is at a stop… :lol: Dave
In Memory of 58,286

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:02 pm

pickerandsinger wrote:.Most of mine require a slow count to 7 for them to shift without grinding….Of course that is at a stop… :lol: Dave
My Cubs, upon engine start up, require a pause after depressing the clutch pedal to shift without grinding gears. If the tractor had been moving or the PTO engaged I have to wait until everything stops before shifting gears. Just the way the tractor was constructed.

You may still have a problem with the clutch operation or the pilot shaft bushing, but try pausing for 5 to 10 seconds before shifting gears.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Scrivet
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:46 pm

With the PTO engaged it is spinning at the same speed as the drive shaft through the transmission. You can get an idea of how long, or even if, the driveshaft takes to slow down or stop by watching it as you depress the clutch. As has been said not really designed for shift on the fly. More like; stop, idle down, pause, select different gear, idle up, release clutch and go.

olgreyhair
John Deere 445

Postby olgreyhair » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:59 pm

Thank You for all the reply.
" stop, idle down, pause, select different gear, idle up, release clutch and go." Explains it perfectly. I guess I'm good to go. Looking forward to doing a full service/tune up on the old girl. Reading the manual, it sounds like a full 12 pack just to oil every bearing cup, generator bearing, fan hub etc. etc.
They sure don't make em like this anymore.

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:13 pm

You may be in the early stages of the pilot bushing in the center of the flywheel, starting to hang up on the transmission input shaft.

There's really not much you can do about that problem without major surgery. In other words, splitting the tractor and replacing the pilot bushing. Be warned once that hood comes off, the "may as well do this while the hood's off" jobs, aka "may as well's," come fast and furious. You have to exercise good self control of you can drop the better part of $2500 by the time the dust settles.

If the transmission stops grinding when you give it a few seconds to calm down, it's not something that needs to be addressed immediately. I would wait until it got intolerable.