This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Where to start?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
boyerwood
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 44691

Where to start?

Postby boyerwood » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:30 pm

Hello everyone,
I can't believe there is a Farmall Cub Forum!

I am 57 and grew up on my Dad's Farmall Cub. It had a blade, mower, plow, cultivators and sickle mower. It has been setting for about 5 years now.

I want to restore it. I am ready to start tearing into it, but do not want to make any costly errors being in a rush. Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks...
Steve in Ohio :help:

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

randallc
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 72940
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall Cub, 152 disk plow, 2 gang disk, belly mower, sickle mower
1949 Farmall Cub, cultivator, moldboard plow, disk,front blade. Cub Cadet, LTX1045 Mower. Cub Cadet's 109, 125, 1000, and 1250
1961 cub c2 belly mower and full blade. 48 cub manual lift with cultivators.
1947 Cub
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Where to start?

Postby randallc » Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:11 am

Welcome to the forum from Arkansas. Your wide open on where to start. Most of the time I start with simply checking the oil. The see if the motor is stuck. If it is free, gas, a hand crank, put it in neutral and see if it will fire. If it will fire, prime the oil pump by removing the oil filter cover and pumping oil into the little hole in the block and fire it up. If it fires up, change the oil and check the water and fresh gas.
Anyway, I guess I am say, just start one piece at a time.
Got a problem, you can research the free manuals, and ask questions. Figure out if there is a CubFest somewhere close and attend one. The folks who started and maintained this site did a great job and are still doing a great job. Enjoy your cub.
Guinea, 1951 Farmall Cub; Jumping Willy, 1949 Farmall Cub, 61 Cub, Scrapy, and 48 Cub Al, 48 cub, Billy D.

Smokeycub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44266
Tractors Owned: 48 F Cub #11678
65 Cub Cadet 104
70 450C JD loader
67 Cub Cadet 107
90 B7100HST-D Kubota
72 Cub Cadet 149
54 Super C

Postby Smokeycub » Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:26 am

Hello Steve and welcome to the best site there is for Farmall Cubs! There are many highly knowledgeable and experienced Cub owners here that are more than happy to help you with any specific questions or problems you may have. Growing up with a Cub in your life was probably pretty special for you. That said there is a plethora of information in the manuals and things listed in the above header and would be worth your while to check them out, they're quite interesting too. Since it's been sitting for five years without running be sure to prime the oil pump before you try to start it. That's covered in the "How To" section. Personally, I would assess what needs done before I start tearing things apart. It sounds like you have a nice collection of implements for it (lots of info on those on here as well), hope it runs great for you. Best of luck with it!
Ray
Smokeycub
Attachments - 193 plow - 144 cultivator - 22 mower - 28A disc harrow - 54 leveling blade - Woods 59C2 - drag harrows - Mott D9 flail - flat belt pulley
The squeaky wheel may get the grease but it's usually the first to be replaced!

twotone
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15132
Tractors Owned: 53 F Cub
73 F Cub
53 Super A With Snow/Grader Blade
193 Plow With Colter And Jointer
144 Cultivators
22 Mower

Postby twotone » Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:41 am

Welcome to the forum Steve. I'm just a year younger than you, and my love for the Cub started about 10-15 years ago. The only part of a Cub I've never been into is the Trans. I don't understand modern stuff, but I can understand a Cub. I was quite surprised to find this forum also. The folks here are very knowledgeable, helpful, and just a great bunch of people. Glad you found the forum, and have fun with your Cub!
Know Your Cub, And Your Cub Will Know You.

Tom

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:09 am

Welcome to the forum from the Deep South. :) Here's the link to BARNYARD BASH, one of the upcoming CUBFESTS in 2016 in your area. It's highly recommended, just contact the host on this forum. http://www.barnyardbash.com/ The guys have you covered with the above suggestions but I also would add that the OWNERS/OPERATORS MANUAL available at the top of this page as a free download pdf file is a good place to start. There are some particulars to certain year models like magneto or battery ignition but just pick the one closest to your year model and you will be fine with it. Here's the link to PDF MANUALS: http://www.farmallcub.com/[ Sorry, direct links to manual section is not allowed. ]/index.p ... ls&order=0 Post back with your progress and pictures (we love pictures) and any specific questions or problems that you find. Good Luck and enjoy your Cub. Stan
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:25 am

Make your self very familiar with the tractor, operating, maint. and such. There's a lot to be learned by browsing this forum that will help you get more familiar with it. Then you should approach it from the mechanical stand point first. Make sure all systems function as they should, leaks repaired and so on. After everything has passed the use test, then proceed with cosmetic work.

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)

Postby bob in CT » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:38 pm

"restore" has a lot of different meanings to people and the difference is probably $4-5,000 dollars!

Do you want to take it completely apart and renew everything along the way? and make it look like it came out of the Factory? Or do you want to fix what needs to be fixed to make it reliable and paint it to look nice? A complete engine rebuild alone will run you $1500 if that is what you have in mind.

Like Gary said, start by getting to know what you have. Above, you will find a link to "pdf manuals" . Find an operator's manual for the approximate year of the tractor and read it from cover-to-cover. Power wash the tractor now, before it gets too cold so you can see what you have. Put a bag over the distributor or magneto. If you are thinking about starting it, make sure all the fluids have been serviced. There is lot more to look at than you would think without reading the manual.

If you are digging in- find the latest tactor parts manual above. Anything with "ocr" in the name is a better scan (by yours truly) and can be keyword searched.

Next browse into service manuals and open the subfolder Blue Ribbon Service manuals GSS 1411 is the complete factory manual and you should read each section before starting to service it.

Next, start a single restoration thread here. Ask all your questions and update us in one place. many times it is very helpful to go back into someone's project history to see what was already done before answering a question. We will help every step of the way so don't be shy. We have all been there before.

When I do a complete teardown, I usually start in the back and take one thing apart at a time, do what needs to be done and assemble it. That way you don't have too much scattered about which is important if life interrupts the project and you need to pick it up months later. I like to finish with the engine so it is not sitting around for that long before I can get it started, but some like to tackle that first and just store it properly.

Check with us before you plan to start it or split the tractor as there are safety issues hat need to be addressed so a fun project does not cause and injury or damage the tractor.
Have fun and good luck!

boyerwood
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby boyerwood » Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:54 pm

Thanks you ....good advice all. Thank you for the replies, they all help. This will be a serious restore to a user tractor, but not a museum piece. I have almost every piece of equipment I could want, so I do want to end up using the tractor. I found the serial number. It is 11525. That makes it an early '48.

The tractor will be split and the engine will be machined and overhauled. Everything else will be kept original if it works.

Good list to start...Thanks!
Steve

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:00 pm

Since you plan to split the tractor for engine work be aware that the front end is very unstable and will roll side to side on the front axle pivot. Be sure to firmly and securely wedge this point on both sides to keep this from happening. Stan
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

boyerwood
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby boyerwood » Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:05 pm

Gary Dotson wrote:Make your self very familiar with the tractor, operating, maint. and such. There's a lot to be learned by browsing this forum that will help you get more familiar with it. Then you should approach it from the mechanical stand point first. Make sure all systems function as they should, leaks repaired and so on. After everything has passed the use test, then proceed with cosmetic work.

Thanks for the advice. This tractor has sat for at least 5 years and I remember it being very hard to start then...needing some type of maint. back then it never got. I plan on making this a nice looking user tractor with an overhauled engine. I think everything else can be salvaged.

Thanks...Steve

boyerwood
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby boyerwood » Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:09 pm

Thanks... I am excited to get started, but will take the time to know a little what to expect first.

Steve

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:28 pm

Steve,

Welcome to the forum. Lots of help here and folks willing to lend a hand. Wooster is not that far away and I get down there often to visit family. Others are near you in Marshallville and Ritman, so an experienced eye and hands are not far away.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Return to “Farmall Cub”