This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Touch Control Operator Lever Restricted

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Sgt. Drew
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 17072

Touch Control Operator Lever Restricted

Postby Sgt. Drew » Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:06 pm

Hi everyone, I've visited the site often and gotten tons of great info but this is my first post. I have a '50 cub with touch control.

Is it normal for the touch control operator lever to only go 2/3 to 3/4 of the way forward?

I've lengthened the adjustable yoke as far as I can but 3/4 of the way forward is all I can get. In case someone is wondering the obvious, the front and back operator lever stops are at the far front and rear, respectively. I've unlocked the control valve lever stop on the underside of the TC block and I still can't get the lever to go the whole way forward. This brings up another interesting point. When I had the control valve lock loosened, the unit didn't stay in high pressure when I had the control lever as far forward as I could move it (still only 3/4 of the way forward). The control rod doesn't appear to be bent or anything.

I'm not usually the type to ask for help but I'm really stumped on this one. Thank for any help!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Touch Control Operator Lever Restricted

Postby Dale Finch » Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:16 pm

This may be a stupid question, but even though the lever is moving only partial range on the quadrant, is the rockshaft moving full range? In other words, if you have a belly mower, for example, is it moving up and down the height you think it should?
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

Sgt. Drew
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Sgt. Drew » Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:52 am

Thanks for responding. No, I don't think it is. Any idea where I can get a visual or spec to let me know how far forward the rickshaft shout be moving? Although, the fast hitch assembly is nearly against the rear of the tractor when I have it lifted as far as the hydraulics will go (so adjustable it's probably not a great indicator).

With the control valve stop unlocked, I should have been able to put the system into constant high pressure when I pushed the operator lever as far forward as it would go. Unfortunately, the system returns to low pressure when it's in the most forward position I can select with the control valve stop free.

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower

Postby Dale Finch » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:26 am

I may be wrong, and hopefully a more knowledgeable person will come along, but if you read through the manual (above links), it describes the different pressure stages of tbe Touch Control system, and each time you move the lever, the system applies high pressure UNTIL the piston moves to the proper position, at which time the pressure drops back to low. The TC should only be in high pressure mode long enough to move the rockshaft to the new position. Otherwise it can do some damage. That is the whole reason for setting the limits at the TC block...to keep the range "centered".

Do you have the Assist Spring mounted and adjusted to apply pressure for lift assistance?
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

Sgt. Drew
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Sgt. Drew » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:03 pm

I detached the helper spring so I could more easily access the upper plug on the rear manifold. You're absolutely correct that the pressure should return to low once the piston reaches the location selected by the operator (assuming no obstructions and the stop under the hydraulic block is properly set). I was afraid the stop under the block might have been out of adjustment and possibly limiting the movement of the control rod. So, I followed the touch control manual to adjust this stop. At one step in the process, you need to find the maximum limit of travel of the rockshaft (i.e. Piston). This involves loosening the stop and determining the forward location of the rockshaft that causes the system to stay in high pressure (can't move any further than the piston so high pressure is maintained until you move the control lever back just a little). There's where the problem really identifies itself. I can't place the system into continual high pressure in the piston out position. This tells me that something is restricting the travel of the control valve operating lever. I was hoping someone might have had some experience or insight on this as I'm hoping I don't need to remove the system to figure out the problem (especially with the snow season coming).

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:16 pm

I've never seen a problem like you are describing. But my first step would be to look into the linkage in the front of the block that interconnects the piston, valve, and lever. There may be something in there blocking movement or something bent or otherwise damaged that is preventing the full range of movement. After you loosened the stop and moved the back half all the way back, were you able to move the lever until the linkage contacted the stop? (I'm not sure it should actually contact the stop when the stop is moved all the way.)

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:30 pm

So even when the linkage is disconnected, the lever will not go full forward?

If so, that is a problem with the lever itself. Something is binding up there where the lever pivots. Should be obvious if you get down there and really take a good long look at it while working the lever back and forth.

Return to “Farmall Cub”