Will this cause any problems?

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Mark55
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 75951

Will this cause any problems?

Postby Mark55 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:36 pm

I had to pull the head on one of my cubs and broke 2 head bolts off. Was able to get one of them out without much trouble, but had to drill the other one. When I got it drilled and collapsed the threads the remains fell into the water jacket. I probed around with a piece of wire thinking I might be able to move it around where I could pick it up with a magnet but no luck. This was the next to back bolt in the center row of head bolts.

I am thinking that this won't cause any problems, but thought I would run it by the experts here.

Thanks,
Mark
It is wise to learn early in life that what you don't know somebody else is getting rich knowing!

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Will this cause any problems?

Postby Eugene » Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:51 pm

It won't cause a problem.

On the other hand this is an opportunity to remove the pieces of bolt and to flush the cooling system and remove the crud from around the bottom of the cylinders. Remove the coolant manifold on the lower right side of the block to flush the block.
I have an excuse. CRS.

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:23 am

I agree with Eugene regarding the opportunity to flush your cooling system but to answer your question, no it will not cause a problem.
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)

Postby bob in CT » Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:12 am

I used my pressure washer nozzle in the coolant return opening after removing the neck and directed it around and a lot of accumulated crud came out. This is a major cause of hot spots and overheating as the layers of crud reduce proper heat transfer at the hottest part of the cylinder. I would not be surprised if the remnants came out then too. Of course, you will need to wait until the head is installed to do that.

When you install the head, use some Teflon paste or similar NON-HARDENING sealer for the threads so coolant does not weep up the threads. Non-hardening is the important thing here as you need to re-torque the cylinder head after an initial run up to full operating temp and complete cool down. I use grade 9 bolts only and trim them to the exact length because you don't want threads sticking into the coolant and rusting over time or they will be a bear to get out. I buy them from McMaster Carr. Some use washers instead of trimming but the washers need to be the same grade as the bolts. I find it easier to cut them with a hack saw.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:55 am

With the head and water manifold on the lower right side of the engine removed. Roll the tractor outside. Garden hose with spray nozzle and spray down through the coolant ports in the top of the block. Also spray into the lower opening into the bolster/bottom of the radiator. Pay particular attention to the back side and around cylinder #4

Pressure sprayer would work much better on flushing out the block. I would avoid pressure spraying into the bolster.

Thinking it's winter and cold at your location. If you use the garden hose and nozzle, push the tractor inside and let set for a couple of days for the block cooling system to dry out, then spray again. Second spraying will remove more crud that came loose.

I have used this technique in the summer, hot days. Left the tractor setting outside in the sun. Took perhaps a day for the block cooling system to dry out and more crud to flake loose.
I have an excuse. CRS.

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby bob in CT » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:49 am

Mark55
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 75951

Postby Mark55 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:04 pm

Thanks for the replies. I did remove the inlet from right side of block and used a jet nozzle on a water hose to spray through all of the ports on top of the block. I had a 5 gallon bucket catching what came out of the inlet hole. After flushing I took a magnet and probed around the bottom of the bucket. No remains of the bolt, but about a cup of junk that stuck to the magnet. The broke bolt was about an inch long so it may not be able to be washed out.

I ordered new grade 9 bolts from McMaster this morning. What do you think about using a Felpro head gasket from Napa? We don't have a IH dealer in town any more.

Thanks,
Mark
It is wise to learn early in life that what you don't know somebody else is getting rich knowing!

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby bob in CT » Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:46 pm

Felpro is a quality gasket. I always spray them with CopperKote just to be sure.

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:07 am

If you use a Fel Pro gasket, I think you'll find that it will be metal on one side and composition on the other. I don't remember which is top / bottom, but you do not want to spray the composition side with copper coat. No problem using the Fel Pro gasket, though, I like em just fine.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:16 am

Shine a flashlight down the coolant openings in the top of the block. Perhaps you can see the bolt remnant. Magnet on a rod, try fishing out the bolt.
I have an excuse. CRS.