odd tread wear

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
brewzalot
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: 53105
Tractors Owned: '57 cub Loboy
'61 cub
Circle of Safety: Y

odd tread wear

Postby brewzalot » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:06 pm

tire 1 - Copy.JPG

tire 2 - Copy.JPG

tire 3 - Copy.JPG

The tread wear on my one rear tractor tire has an odd wear pattern- trying to figure out why just the lugs on one side are worn down and only towards the center of the tire.
I bent a strip of aluminum to the diameter of the tire and laid it down the middle to make it easier to see. The area worn is circled in white marker, it is worn down at least a half inch more in this area.

Both tires are the same brand and look the same age. Just the one tire is like this the other has good lugs on both sides.
This was like this when I bought the tractor so I have no history to go on. I will be getting new ones next spring so its just a matter of curiosity at this point.

Could a tire chain cause this? If so wouldn't both tires be worn similarly?

Thoughts? thanks-tim

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Re: odd tread wear

Postby Eugene » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:22 pm

Interesting. My thought is that is a fault in the composition of the rubber in that part of the tire.

In the mid 1960's worked in a factory. One section of the factory mixed up their own rubber for floor mats, tires, etc.. Again guessing, last of one mixed rubber batch was placed in the tire form them rubber from a different batch added.

Not sure why you want to purchase a new set of rear tires, unless it's to make the tractor look prettier. I have rear tractor tires that are weather checked, one with part of a recap worn off, and one with a gash in the side. All holding air. I'm not going to replace the tires until there is nothing left to hold air.
I have an excuse. CRS.

danovercash
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28081

Postby danovercash » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:28 pm

Too many road trips and possibly wrong air pressure. Tractors that run on hard roads sometimes have a pattern like that. Left tire showing wear? Maybe it ran on pavement and right tire ran on shoulder.
"I'd rather be a mechanic in the shop"- Henry Ford

252646 & 221525. 195897 (Gone, but not forgotten)

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:42 pm

Look at the sidewalls. are they popped out and seated the same on both sides of the tire?
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

brewzalot
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
'61 cub

Postby brewzalot » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:12 am

Eugene wrote:My thought is that is a fault in the composition of the rubber in that part of the tire.

Could be Eugene, but I would think it would be bad just in certain areas then, this is uniform all the way around on all lugs.

Eugene wrote:Not sure why you want to purchase a new set of rear tires, unless it's to make the tractor look prettier.

I'm gonna buy them before rubber goes completely out of this world, even if these have some life left. My lo boy restoration is next, maybe I'll put them on that one seeing they're worse yet.

danovercash wrote:Too many road trips and possibly wrong air pressure.

That's what I thought at first, but any excessive road wear I've seen is at least even across the tire. Even underinflated wouldn't wear on just one side I wouldn't think. The wheel centers came off for painting and I changed the width so I cant be sure which wheel was originally right or left. I like the one wheel in the ditch theory, especially if it left the tractor on a severe angle. But even then that's an awful lot of wear...and why just in the center?

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:Look at the sidewalls. are they popped out and seated the same on both sides of the tire?

I'll look closer in the morning but I think its mounted ok.

All good theories

[/quote]

birddog
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 54515

Postby birddog » Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:12 pm

It doesn't stand to reason that you could get that kind of wear on just the tread on one side when they overlap the center. My guess would be that someone intentionally ground them down, although I can't imagine why.
Mark "birddog" Birdeau
Circle of Safety

Puffie40
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
1939 Farmall H
1959 MF 202
1965 MF 180
1937 Caterpillar 22

Postby Puffie40 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:19 pm

My guess is a combination of over inflation and road wear. You can see some extreme examples of this if you look up photos of Eastern European tractors.

If the tractor was driven to a farm plot with one tire always on the pavement, that could explain the advanced wear on the one tire. That is assuming that is a original set and not a used tire someone put on.

smallfarm
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 45504

Postby smallfarm » Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:38 pm

Used to have a guy where I worked we joked was paid on the side by Firestone to road test ag tires. Probably averaged about 15 miles a day. The tractor he use the most went through tires pretty fast. They looked like the pictures and worse. Over inflation and road miles is my vote.
Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business and to work with your hands, just as we told you, so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anybody.

tnestell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48609

Postby tnestell » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:39 pm

smallfarm wrote:Used to have a guy where I worked we joked was paid on the side by Firestone to road test ag tires. Probably averaged about 15 miles a day. The tractor he use the most went through tires pretty fast. They looked like the pictures and worse. Over inflation and road miles is my vote.
Makes sense to me

brewzalot
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
'61 cub

Postby brewzalot » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:25 pm

Even though I grew up on a farm in Wisconsin, I'm not familiar with using tire chains, could extensive use of one that didn't fit right cause this?

Puffie40
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
1939 Farmall H
1959 MF 202
1965 MF 180
1937 Caterpillar 22

Postby Puffie40 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:38 pm

I don't think this is from tire chains. If tire chains were to cause wear (they would practically have to be on for the entire life of the machine to cause this!) They would form stripes where the chains contact the tire, not worn down the center like these are.

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:28 pm

I think Puffie40 may be on to something.

It's the left rear tire, which would be riding on the pavement if the operator was driving on a narrow shoulder.

If the shoulder was low there would be a ridge at the edge of the pavement that the center of the tire would ride on.

smallfarm
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 45504

Postby smallfarm » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:43 pm

Rethought this and thought I'd throw out another thought.

When a car is out of alignment or the struts go out there are a number of distinctive wear patterns. Could this be from a "miss-aligned rear axle. Think of the rear axle tube being mounted cocked by something keeping the front or back from "mounting up even" or loose bolts holding it on????

I know this is very unlikely to be the cause, but if so and unnoticed these scenarios could be a serious safety issue.
Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business and to work with your hands, just as we told you, so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anybody.

Scrivet
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Scrivet » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:59 pm

smallfarm wrote:..........When a car is out of alignment or the struts go out there are a number of distinctive wear patterns. Could this be from a "miss-aligned rear axle. Think of the rear axle tube being mounted cocked by something keeping the front or back from "mounting up even" or loose bolts holding it on????.......
When I read this I immediately thought of a broken and rewelded final drive. Looking at the one picture I don't think this is the case. How about a worn outer bearing with the whole axle cocked a little causing the tire not to be plumb but tilted in some at the top? Weight of the tractor would, I think. keep it in place plus if you didn't step back and look from a ways back you may never notice it's leaning a little.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:50 pm

Or maybe a bent axle or wheel, jack it up and spin the wheel to see if there is a wiggle.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!