odd tread wear

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
brewzalot
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: 53105
Tractors Owned: '57 cub Loboy
'61 cub
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: odd tread wear

Postby brewzalot » Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:11 pm

Did a little test today, not scientific however. I painted the tread on the left rear tire with the odd wear pattern and ran it over some plywood. The first picture shows the test on level ground , the second is with the left wheel riding up on 4 x 4's to simulate a slope. Each test was done at 5,10,and 15 psi and all pictures are of the same lugs. As expected the higher the pressure the more it rode on the center of the tire( the pattern is narrower). The lower psi made the worn area more visible, leading me to believe if it was pressure related it would be from under inflation not over. Either way, the lugs on the left especially toward the center show up in all tests- leaving me still wondering how this is physically possible to wear them only in the center on one side.

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:Or maybe a bent axle or wheel, jack it up and spin the wheel to see if there is a wiggle.

When I had it jacked up- no wiggle, spun true, bearings seemed fine.

tread level - Copy.JPG

tread angle 2 - Copy.JPG

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: odd tread wear

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:28 pm

Running on a hard surface with underinflated tires causes all sorts of weird wear patterns. A soft tire is able to squirm much more than a harder tire. How it wears depends on the tread pattern too, some a lot worse than others. Underinflation is the probable source of your wear pattern.