This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Which end is heavier

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40218
Circle of Safety: Y

Which end is heavier

Postby Paul B » Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:46 pm

As a general rule of thumb, for trailer loading purposes, which end of a Cub is the heaviest, front or rear? Or is there about the same amount of weight on either axle? I am talking about just a basic Cub with hydraulics and a drawbar.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:03 pm

Paul, I don't know for sure. I've loaded 2 cubs nose to nose, back to back and front to back. When loading 1 cub and a golf cart, I load the cub forward and the golf cart behind. I always figured the rear was heavier but then most of the time, that's because there were wheel weights or loaded tires on the back. My personal opinion is that the back is a little heavier than the front. But I have nothing to back that up.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

RedNed
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby RedNed » Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:12 pm

I would say the back too. The CG is pretty balanced. Put a driver on it, Oh yeah, the back........... :lol:
1960 f-cub,IH Cub Cadet model 76, 125,
1957 IH350u

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:15 pm

When I experimented a bit, it turned out the CG was a couple inches ahead of the shaft the pedals mount on. As I recall, it was a bare tractor with hydraulics and standard drawbar, no wheel weights.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:27 pm

Don't know aobut without weights, but with them they are definitly heavier on the rear. I made a stnad that fits the rear pads and put a floor jack under the stand and lift the fornt.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:39 pm

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:Don't know aobut without weights, but with them they are definitly heavier on the rear. I made a stnad that fits the rear pads and put a floor jack under the stand and lift the fornt.

John,

I think you are close to the method Jim used. Place a jack under different places and lift slightly. Experiment till you find a place that only one wheel maintains contact with the floor. Naturally this will work better with centerline tractors, but it should be true of Cubs too. Please don't lift very high!!!

Funny how this works out, but I think most tractors will balance not far from the shifter.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:49 pm

I thought mine would be cloe to balanced ther, but it was a lot heavier on the rear.

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40218

Postby Paul B » Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:01 pm

Thanks guys. I always figured it would be about equal, if not nose heavy. Guess that is the automobile mentatility in me that thinks front engine, nose heavy.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:54 am

George Willer wrote:
John,

I think you are close to the method Jim used. Place a jack under different places and lift slightly. Experiment till you find a place that only one wheel maintains contact with the floor. Naturally this will work better with centerline tractors, but it should be true of Cubs too. Please don't lift very high!!!

That was it. Surprising how quickly you can find the answer this way. I think I spent more time gathering up the jack and cribbing than I did finding the CG. You can just try jacking at various points along the bell housing until both ends of the tractor want to lift, then you are close. Of course, the tractor will want to lean right when you do it. Determining left-right location is left as an exercise for the student.

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:40 am

Paul B wrote:Thanks guys. I always figured it would be about equal, if not nose heavy. Guess that is the automobile mentatility in me that thinks front engine, nose heavy.

Paul,

I'm pretty sure the difference in weigh distrbution front to back is even more to the rear in a Lo-Boy, since the rear wheels have been moved forward about 7".
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:44 pm

George Willer wrote:[
I'm pretty sure the difference in weigh distrbution front to back is even more to the rear in a Lo-Boy, since the rear wheels have been moved forward about 7".
I would have thought that would move the balance point toward the front. if it changed it at all. Since the weght still attaches at the same point, would it actually change it?

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Aug 19, 2005 1:15 pm

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:
George Willer wrote:[
I would have thought that would move the balance point toward the front. if it changed it at all. Since the weght still attaches at the same point, would it actually change it?

It would move the CG forward relative to the bell housing, platform etc because the drop housings, wheels etc. move forward. HOWEVER, because the rear wheels move forward more than the CG does, the CG winds up closer to the rear axle, putting more weight on the back.

Return to “Farmall Cub”