Distributor Drive Housing Grease Relief Hole Question

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
EugeneFromMichigan
Zip Code: 48357

Distributor Drive Housing Grease Relief Hole Question

Postby EugeneFromMichigan » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:22 pm

I'm currently overhauling the distributor on my '57 Cub and just finished cleaning out gobs of ancient grease from the distributor drive housing. I see the slotted plug on the outside of the casting through which new grease can be injected, but can't find the "relief hole" on the other side (i.e.,engine side) of the casting which the manual and various posts here talk about. There is a small "nub" on that side but it is so badly corroded I can't tell if it's a casting sprue or the remains of a small screw. Regardless it is nowhere near the diameter of the slotted plug on the outside. I've tried poking it with a dental pick, but don't find any evidence of a hole through this nub. I've also run a finger along the inside of the casting and don't feel anything that suggests a hole in that location. I've searched both here and on Google for a photo which shows this relief hole, but have yet to find one showing the "back" or engine facing side of the casting. Most, of course, are mounted on the engine and so don't show the back side. Does someone have a photo showing this relief hole? Were some made without one? Is it simply a small hole through the casting, or is there some threaded plug with a hole in it? On a related note, what is the function of the large hole on the governor-side face of the casting, just above the bushing? It seems any "excess" grease would exit through this before squirting out a small hole on the back side of the housing itself. Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Glen
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Distributor Drive Housing Grease Relief Hole Question

Postby Glen » Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:32 am

Hi,
The relief hole is behind the plug hole on the distributor shaft, there is no relief hole on the outside of the housing you are talking about. Any excess grease would go out the hole you said, toward the drive gear. You have to put grease fittings in the 2 holes and grease the Battery Ignition Unit. Here is a page from the Cub owner's manual showing how. The pic on the right of the page shows the plugs. Read what it says about lubrication carefully, it explains it. Click on the pic makes it bigger. :)

http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Cub%20 ... age-31.jpg

EugeneFromMichigan
Zip Code: 48357

Postby EugeneFromMichigan » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:22 am

Thanks Glen: I've seen that page of the manual before, but was confused by the wording. The phrase "... relief hole opposite the plug" made me think there was separate hole on the other/opposite/back side of the distributor drive housing. I guess that phrase, however, refers solely to the distributor itself? I confess I haven't paid much attention yet to the distributor per se; I started with the drive housing first and will work on the distributor after some parts arrive. Maybe it will all be clearer once I have both cleaned up and reassembled. Again, many thanks!

Glen
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Glen » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:15 pm

Hi,
Yes that is right, the relief hole on the outside of the unit is only behind the plug on the distributor shaft. I've never seen one on the outside of the drive housing. Maybe one of the experts would like to comment, I'm pretty sure that is right. :)