74 cub battery issue maybe?

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
siii8873
10+ Years
10+ Years

74 cub battery issue maybe?

Postby siii8873 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:09 pm

I replaced my battery in my cub this spring because it was no longer startingthe cub. If I jumped it it would start. I replaced it with a blem and all was fine for a short time. Went to start it a few days ago and it needed help. Ran it for about a 1/2 hr doing some grading. Shut it off to answer a phone call and it wouldn't start. Just a click of the solenoid. I placed my charger on the battery first at 10amp manual for about 15 min then dropped it to 2amp automatic and left it on overnight, Went to start it the next day and nothing not even a click of the solenoid. Changed the battery to a spare deep cycle I had and it started right up.
Not sure what's going on here, maybe just a bad battery. I looked closely when attaching the replacement battery and didn't see any arching which could have indicated a leak to ground somewhere.
"May the current be with you and the wind at your back"

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: 74 cub battery issue maybe?

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:30 pm

If the spare battery starts it, I'd suspect the battery. Have it tested.
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

tst
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 12514

Postby tst » Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:28 pm

put a volt meter on the tractor and make sure its charging before you blame the battery

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:02 pm

Engine off and lights off, disconnect one battery cable. Connect multi-meter, set on amps, in series with the empty battery terminal and battery cable. If you have a parasitic amp draw it will show up with this test.

If you have a parasitic amp draw, two probable locations; regulator cut out or solenoid.

Other, previous suggestions are excellent. Probably bad battery.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Dale Finch
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '55 Cub "Bertha"
'55 Cub "Ben"
'55 Cub "Bailey"
'56 Cub "Boris"
'48 Super A "Bubba"

Postby Dale Finch » Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:07 pm

Eugene wrote:If you have a parasitic amp draw, two probable locations; regulator cut out or solenoid

Eugene, my friend has a chronic dead battery situation. I am not sure, but I think he said it was showing charge while running, but if left to sit for a few days, the battery is dead. It is 12v without a regulator, so can you explain how a solenoid can cause a parasitic amp draw? Is it internal to the coil? Or something with the wiring? Thanks for the education!

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:58 pm

Dale Finch wrote:Eugene, my friend has a chronic dead battery situation. I am not sure, but I think he said it was showing charge while running, but if left to sit for a few days, the battery is dead. It is 12v without a regulator, so can you explain how a solenoid can cause a parasitic amp draw? Is it internal to the coil? Or something with the wiring? Thanks for the education!
Think of a solenoid as an electromagnet, a relay, containing a coil, possibly a spring, and a plunger to activate the high amperage contact(s), battery contact to starter.

Normally the solenoid just quits, but some times worn parts wear into the coil or a weak spring fails to fully remove the plunger from the contacts.

Have your friend disconnect one battery cable and fully charge the battery. Then connect the amp meter (multi-meter) as earlier described. The disconnect one appliance at a time. When the amp draw ceases, that is the fault or area of the fault.

12 volt without regulator is probably an alternator. Alternators have a built in regulator which could also be at fault.

Edit: 2003 Ford Expedition with parasitic amp draw that would drain the battery over night. Took several hours removing one fuse at a time to locate the parasitic amp draw. Shouldn't take that long to locate the problem on a Cub.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Dale Finch
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '55 Cub "Bertha"
'55 Cub "Ben"
'55 Cub "Bailey"
'56 Cub "Boris"
'48 Super A "Bubba"

Postby Dale Finch » Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:38 am

Thanks! Good explanation...will pass it along and when I return from a dive trip (Jan 12), I will follow up.

Apologies for hijacking the thread!