Hydraulic lift fluid

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
w0dlr
5+ Years
5+ Years

Hydraulic lift fluid

Postby w0dlr » Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:11 am

I am in the process of re-ringing my Cub and cleaning it up. I have not started nor attempted to start it. The hydraulic system is low. Enough so that I can not feel any fluid with my finger
tip. I can find the capacity of the system, but nothing tells me what the system is filled with. It is filled with some type hydraulic fluid, or motor oil. I have a wood splitter that the cylinder
uses either oil or hydraulic fluid.

Appreciate advice on what to fill it with.
Thanks, Dave in SW Missouri

Glen
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Hydraulic lift fluid

Postby Glen » Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:55 am

Hi,
Welcome to the website. Nowadays Case IH dealers sell Hy-Tran fluid for the Cub Touch Control. It is thin hydraulic fluid. It comes in a 1 gallon size the last time I asked. The Cub only uses a little less than 2 quarts in the system. They don't use motor oil in it.
There are other brands of fluid, make sure they work with IH systems before buying them.
Here is a page from a Cub owner's manual telling how to fill the system and remove the air from it. Be sure to do what it says in paragraph 4. Click on the pic makes it bigger. :)

http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Cub%20 ... age-67.jpg

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:19 am

The fluid in your touch control system could be light weight non-detergent oil, Hy-tran which is IH recommended, or some other hydraulic oil.

Since the touch control system is very low, or empty, I would use what ever hydraulic oil i have on hand. Guessing the hydraulic pump leaked, leaks, the fluid into the engines oil pan.
I have an excuse. CRS.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:03 am

If your hydraulic fluid is low and you do not have any external leaks, the pump on the side of the engine is most likely leaking past the O-ring on the pump[ shaft into the crankcase.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Glen
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:14 pm

Hi,
I don't know if you had the Touch Control tubes off, or the system is just low on fluid.
It could be leaking at the pump, like Eugene and John said. The fluid level won't be up to the fill hole with the arms ahead, or up, even when filled with the proper amount of fluid. The fluid goes down in the unit as the arms go ahead. The level rises with the arms to the rear or down position. That's why the book says fill it with the arms to the rear or down position.
If you are checking the fluid level with the arms ahead, it will look low on fluid. :) :tractor:
Last edited by Glen on Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

w0dlr
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby w0dlr » Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:26 pm

Thanks guys for the info on the lift arms, etc. I haven't fired it up but wanted to check on this before I started it. The arm is forward, so that may be the reason it is showing
low on fluid. I'll let you know how it plays out.
Thanks again for the help and Merry Christmas from Dave in Kirbyville, Mo.

bythepond88
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60073

Postby bythepond88 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:52 pm

w0dlr wrote: I have not started nor attempted to start it.

Please make sure to prime the oil pump before starting her up after you get her back together.
Michael Cummings
Eddie - a 1959 International Lo-Boy named after my father in law, who who bought her new.

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:56 pm

Unless you've disassembled the hydraulic system and cleaned every bit of oil and residue off everything, you can safely start and run the tractor with low hydraulic fluid for a short time without fear of damage. There is enough hydraulic fluid settled to the bottom of the system (i.e. in the pump and lines) to keep the pump lubricated.

At the risk of starting another prolonged oil thread, I will say that the Cub hydraulic system does not contain any exotic materials that will be destroyed by the "wrong" oil. CaseIH Hytran is recommended. Anything labeled "CaseIH Hytran compatible" or "MS1209 compliant" is a suitable substitute. Starting with a completely drained system, anything labeled "hydraulic" will be fine. Heck, peanut oil would work, but then you might end up allergic to your tractor...

nicolascub
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 5889
Skype Name: nicolashayes
Tractors Owned: 1952 Farmall Cub

Postby nicolascub » Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:25 am

Matt how are you?

If i use the cub without hyd fluid on the system, could it be bad for the pump? I have a leak in to the engine.
I was thinking of draining the hyd fluid because i dont use it, and use the tractor without hyd fluid, that is possible?

Thank you.

Papa's Cub
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 31553
Tractors Owned: 1966 Int'l Cub w/mower 2005 Farm-Trac, 7ft Harrows, 1976 Int'l Cub Woods 59-C-2 Turn Plow w/Depth Full set of cultivators, Harrows and complete Planter & Fertilizer unit

Postby Papa's Cub » Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:55 am

Nicolas, When you put a kit in the hydraulic pump did you inspect the shaft for a wear groove? Sometimes the shaft has to be repaired/replaced before the fluid will stop leaking into the engine. Yes, you can drain the fluid from the reservoir if you don't need to use the system, but I'd pull the pump and remove the drive gear first. Good luck, Tom.
If you always do what you've always done -- you'll always get what you've always got!

Clownfish
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: 36578
Tractors Owned: 49 Farmall Cub
1959 Farmall Cub
2005 Massey Ferguson 1528

Postby Clownfish » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:35 am

If you remove the pump you will need to block off the opening. Tm (Site sponsor at bottom of page) sells the plate and gasket.
http://www.tmtractor.com/new/hy/735fp.htm

Edit: If you only remove the gear I guess you won't have an opening to block off.

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:43 pm

If you take the drive gear off the pump, you can put it back in place to block off the hole.

I would not run the tractor for extended periods with the hydraulic system empty. As I said earlier, for SHORT periods. There is always some oil settled in the bottom of the pump to keep it from burning up immediately.

nicolascub
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby nicolascub » Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:22 pm

Papa's Cub wrote:Nicolas, When you put a kit in the hydraulic pump did you inspect the shaft for a wear groove? Sometimes the shaft has to be repaired/replaced before the fluid will stop leaking into the engine. Yes, you can drain the fluid from the reservoir if you don't need to use the system, but I'd pull the pump and remove the drive gear first. Good luck, Tom.

Thank you Tom, so if i drain all the hydraulic fluid until i buy a new lip seal for the pump shaft, can i use the tractor without hyd fluid on the system? (off course not using the hyd system at all)

Thank you!

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:26 pm

If you do, you need to remove the pump and put a cover plate over the hole as well as covering or plugging the holes in the main unit to keep dirt out.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

nicolascub
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby nicolascub » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:59 pm

Thanks! i will remove the pump and put an oil retainer there. there is some hyd fluid in the main unit so i dont think it will hurt the pump, i just drive the tractor for maintain the engine runing twice a month for 20 minutes..

Thank you!