This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cranking Speed on 6 Volts

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Cranking Speed on 6 Volts

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:41 pm

Since there have been a couple threads recently that got into expected cranking speed on 6 volts, I made a video showing some of the items that can make a difference and what engine speed can be expected while cranking.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

brewzalot
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 53105
Tractors Owned: '57 cub Loboy
'61 cub

Re: Cranking Speed on 6 Volts

Postby brewzalot » Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:19 pm

On the green tractors we had on the farm if you left the 3 point up when you shut off the tractor (without moving the control lever to the down position) and it sat long enough to leak down, when you went to start it again , it would start coming up right away and took quite a bit away from the engine cranking speed . Is that the case on a Cub rock shaft? For example- when going to start a Cub tractor with the belly mower in the down position but the TC lever in the up position will the mower start to raise as soon as you start cranking? I haven't had an implement on mine yet to test this.

tim

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:33 pm

brewzalot wrote:. . . start coming up right away . . .

Yes. As soon as the engine starts to turn over, the rockshaft will try to move to the position that corresponds to the position of the control lever. If there are leaking O-rings inside the main unit, implements can drift down when the engine is not running. You can also get this effect if someone moves the control lever after the engine is shut off.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:36 pm

brewzalot wrote:When going to start a Cub tractor with the belly mower in the down position but the TC lever in the up position will the mower start to raise as soon as you start cranking?
Might be a slight pause as the hydraulic system builds up pressure, but Yes.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Gary Orr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44483

Postby Gary Orr » Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:52 pm

I like the hand crank myself, save the starter for when I really need it. JMO : :tractor:

dustyrobbins
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 98092

Postby dustyrobbins » Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:29 pm

Thanks for sharing this. Given my own turnover issues, being able to hear the crank speed was very helpful. Mine is not close to turning over at that speed so I will need to continue diagnosing.

Return to “Farmall Cub”