This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

coil

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
hurleyjd
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 75497

coil

Postby hurleyjd » Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:24 pm

Mr. McCarty sent me my reconditioned carb. Tried cranking nothing. Coil that was not used very much was dead. Installed another coil one of the flame thrower coils. Oil filled now all of the oil is gone and not working. These coils are expensive, any suggestions for a coil that will work and not cost as much. 12 volt conversion.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: coil

Postby Eugene » Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:57 pm

Auto parts store. If open today, Sunday, they should have a coil for your tractor in stock.

You didn't state if you had an electronic ignition, 6 volt coil with ballast resistor, 12 volt coil with internal resistor. You stated that you had a 12 volt conversion, but not how the ignition system was constructed.
I have an excuse. CRS.

hurleyjd
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 75497

Postby hurleyjd » Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:51 pm

Eugene wrote:Auto parts store. If open today, Sunday, they should have a coil for your tractor in stock.

You didn't state if you had an electronic ignition, 6 volt coil with ballast resistor, 12 volt coil with internal resistor. You stated that you had a 12 volt conversion, but not how the ignition system was constructed.

petronix iginition the present coil is the petronix flame thrower. I picked up a coil from Autozone 12V which says to use with primary resistance wire or external resistor. Will this be okay. It is oil filled.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:13 pm

hurleyjd wrote:I picked up a coil from Autozone 12V which says to use with primary resistance wire or external resistor. Will this be okay. It is oil filled.
I don't know the answer.

There are folks on this site who have installed Petronix ignition systems who should be able to provide a definite answer.
I have an excuse. CRS.

tnestell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48609

Postby tnestell » Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:42 pm

I think you need a ballast resistor or take it back and get a coil with an internal resistor. When I put a flame thrower coil in my Cub with the Pertronix ignition it had about 3 ohms resistance which was fine for use without an external resistor.

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)

Postby bob in CT » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:34 pm

Try a Standard Motor Products UC15 coil. Internal resistor.

Return to “Farmall Cub”