Tractor supply

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
havoc1482
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 01034
eBay ID: havoc1482
Tractors Owned: _______ 1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: @havoc1482

Re: Tractor supply

Postby havoc1482 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:04 am

I only own a Super A, but I can tell you that my local TSC sells the Cub filter with gasket, oil, and an ignition tune-up kit. They have the same for my Super A, but I found out the hard way that the ignition tune up was for just a Cub. They label it as just "International" lol
Mike

I bleed Black & Gold

IH Collectors Club New England (Chapter 18)

Western Mass. (The 413)

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:28 am

havoc1482 wrote:...... I found out the hard way that the ignition tune up was for just a Cub. They label it as just "International" lol
So far as I know, points are the same for all of the old IH 4 cylinders, and condenser was the same on all except the H4 magneto. I believe the rotor is the same for all the distributors, but not the magnetos. Not sure about the distributor caps, but I think they are all the same. Of course the coil caps are different from J4 to H4.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

SouthernOutlaw
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 36736

Postby SouthernOutlaw » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:41 am

I agree with everyone above about the quality of TS parts. TS is less than 5 min from my business, NAPA is a 45 mile drive. Worth every mile of it. My 600 Ford has electronic ignition installed, and I had to replace the distributor cap and rotor. Went to TS to pick up parts, and installed them one evening to do some plowing. Worked fine that day, but the next day no start. Traced it down to the rotor contact on the NEW cap. Drove to NAPA for the parts and no trouble since.

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:54 am

Not only do their parts not meet my expectations, but the 5 minutes away TSC, never restocks. I call it, "Girly Supply". You can get chicken, dog and horse stuff, but very little "tractor " stuff. Went there for a quart of IH red paint. NO IH red, or JD green, in quarts. Could get MM yellow, for the 2 Moline tractors, in all of New England. Was 2 months, before the JD and IH paints, ere restocked! And, if getting something heavy, they would rather say "out of stock" than go in back, and get some. Went there for dog food. None on the shelf. Asked, and they brought me a bag, from in back. Why not bring out 3, and put 2 in the shelf, while you're back there??
Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:07 pm

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:
havoc1482 wrote:...... I found out the hard way that the ignition tune up was for just a Cub. They label it as just "International" lol
So far as I know, points are the same for all of the old IH 4 cylinders, and condenser was the same on all except the H4 magneto. I believe the rotor is the same for all the distributors, but not the magnetos. Not sure about the distributor caps, but I think they are all the same. Of course the coil caps are different from J4 to H4.

If the IH parts don't fit, you might have a Delco or a Prestolite distributor. Those were available aftermarket replacements. Never seen either of them on a Super A but you never know...

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:23 pm

ScottyD'sdad wrote:Not only do their parts not meet my expectations, but the 5 minutes away TSC, never restocks. I call it, "Girly Supply". You can get chicken, dog and horse stuff, but very little "tractor " stuff. Went there for a quart of IH red paint. NO IH red, or JD green, in quarts. Could get MM yellow, for the 2 Moline tractors, in all of New England. Was 2 months, before the JD and IH paints, ere restocked! And, if getting something heavy, they would rather say "out of stock" than go in back, and get some. Went there for dog food. None on the shelf. Asked, and they brought me a bag, from in back. Why not bring out 3, and put 2 in the shelf, while you're back there??
Ed

Some stores are managed better than others, but as a general rule restocking only happens when corporate can send a full truckload. It's not economically feasible to restock small items piecemeal.

As for them not having much in the way of tractor stuff, Walmart doesn't have much in the way of walls, never seen a K for sale at Kmart, everybody walks at Runnings, BestBuy isn't the cheapest place to purchase electronics, and Sears hasn't cooked a single piece of meat ever. Sure they used to sell tractor parts but that market dried up. The store was on the verge of ceasing to exist, and may have gone bankrupt at one point, but they reinvented themselves to survive.

havoc1482
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 01034
eBay ID: havoc1482
Tractors Owned: _______ 1948 Farmall Super A
Twitter ID: @havoc1482

Postby havoc1482 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:57 pm

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:

The condenser, the rotor, the coil cap and the rotor cap are different between the J4 and H4.

It was a time when I didn't know much about my Super A and just assumed it was correct lol. At least I found a use for them because my boss has 2 Cubs.

As far a TSC resupply goes, my local one always have fresh stock of oil, filters, grease, bolts/nuts, paints, additives, cleaners, ect. It probably has to do with the fact this store services like 3 towns and is on a main route.
Mike

I bleed Black & Gold

IH Collectors Club New England (Chapter 18)

Western Mass. (The 413)