Non-cub plow

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
ferret_airlift
Zip Code: 49251

Non-cub plow

Postby ferret_airlift » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:03 am

Has anyone ever attached a non-IHC plow to a cub? I have a Cub that I would like a dirt plow for, but as Cub plows are hard to come by, I was wondering if anyone has had any luck attaching a standard yard tractor plow to a cub? If so, what all did you have to do?

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Non-cub plow

Postby Don McCombs » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:16 am

Can't really answer your question directly. But, Cub plows are probably the most common implement available, next to sickle bar mowers. In fact, here's two in your area...

http://saginaw.craigslist.org/grd/5341029036.html

http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/grd/5293178507.html

I'm guessing that neither one is complete, but that's not an insurmountable problem. Keep an eye on Craigslist and eBay and I am willing to bet that by Spring, you will have found one to your liking. Also, place a wanted ad in The Vine forum. I'm sure you'll get responses.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

Puffie40
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
1939 Farmall H
1959 MF 202
1965 MF 180
1937 Caterpillar 22

Postby Puffie40 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:21 pm

With those plows, the most common missing (at least not pictured) part is the depth lever, which is sometimes left on the machine when the plow is taken off.

snoman7c
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 15909
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall Cub

Postby snoman7c » Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:13 pm

Here is a pic of my Cub. Had it mounted on final drives like a mower deck. I didn't like that. If you hit something, you could be looking for new final drives! I have found the original Farmall set-up and a snowplow a few years ago. It works alot better.
Attachments
232323232%7Ffp83232_uqcshlukaxroqdfv9%3B%3B4%3Dot_2_%3B6%3D92_%3D4_4%3D39_592_3%3B3337nu0mrj.jpg

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:29 pm

Yeah, not sure where you get the idea that plows are hard to come by, but as far as "standard" plows there really are only two types:

1. 3pt hitch
2. Sleeve hitch

Since a Cub comes with neither a sleeve hitch nor a 3pt hitch from the factory, you have that challenge to overcome. A sleeve hitch would be a total custom fabrication, but there is an aftermarket 3pt hitch available for the Cub that costs several hundred dollars.

Not sure either a sleeve hitch or a 3pt hitch plow is much more common. At least not used. A Cub can pull no more than a single 12" bottom so you need to keep that in mind when shopping, as well as the fact that the aftermarket 3pt hitch is a "Category 0" and larger Category 1 implements will not fit without heavy modification.

Turning over a clean proper furrow is a matter of precise angles and spacing. Sure you can cobble something together and drag it through the ground, but you're just rootin' up the dirt. Properly plowing leaves the dirt turned over even and smooth, giving you a consistent garden that you don't have to run over with the disc 27 times, and hand-rake out. Cub plows are designed to give you all that by simply installing them correctly. A 3pt hitch plow can be adjusted to plow properly by adjusting the linkages on the 3pt arms but that can take some time, and if your garden is small you may run out of ground to plow before you figure it out. With a sleeve hitch you are completely on your own to figure out how to make it adjust.

For all you guys who like to piggie-pile on people that say "It can't be done," please note that I did NOT say that it couldn't be done. I am simply saying that there are significant challenges to overcome and that a real Cub plow is certainly the least challenging way to turn over some dirt with a Cub.
Last edited by Matt Kirsch on Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:29 pm

snoman7c wrote:Here is a pic of my Cub. Had it mounted on final drives like a mower deck. I didn't like that. If you hit something, you could be looking for new final drives! I have found the original Farmall set-up and a snowplow a few years ago. It works alot better.

Ferret_Airlift is asking about a garden plow.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

ferret_airlift
Zip Code: 49251

Postby ferret_airlift » Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:54 pm

Mostly, I just haven't seen a lot of Cub plows that look in good condition, or even complete. I have the rear rockshaft, but not the rod, and I have seen more sleeve hitch units, so I wondered it anyone had tried, and been successful. My cub is a 1948

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14072
eBay ID: toysforjake
Tractors Owned: Lots of Cub Cadets!
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity 4416 Sovereign
Simplicity Conquest
Simplicity Legacy 4x4 Diesel
Mitsubishi MT180D 4x4 Diesel

Postby gitractorman » Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:00 pm

The sleeve hitch plows are too small for a standard Cub. Also, you wouldn't have the correct offset to keep the wheels in the furrow of the previously plowed row, so I think you'd be disappointed in the end. A standard Cub plow is what you need to find. Also, don't let the looks fool you. A little rust on a plow is nothing, and it is typical since most are stored outside.
Cub Cadets 682, 1811, 1864, Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 60" mower, 50" Tiller

leerenovations
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 74857
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick Farmall Cub (Farmalice), 1949 Ford 8N (Red), Unidentified horse drawn road grader with 8 ft moldboard.

Postby leerenovations » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:04 pm

I hasd the same problem down here in Oklahoma. But horse drawn walking plows are very plentiful down here. I took one and removed the handles and the bolt on clevis from the tongue. I then dug a small furrow in the ground by hand and parked the Cub at the right angle with one side in the furrow. I then placed the plow in the furrow also. Then I made a attatchment piece to bolt on the drawbar. The angle is what you have to account for, if you do it on level ground it wont sit properly and dig properly. I used a piece of cable to lift the plow using the rear rockshaft. I ve used to to plow around 40 acres in 5 years. Never had a trouble. Around here, people don't want to sell the implements, but they want to sell them with the tractors.
Tractors are like watermelons: the RED is good and you throw away the GREEN.

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:34 pm

I usually always get cussed out for posting this, but I have setup a Brinley plow,( 10" moldboard) on my homemade 3-pt. hitch on one of my cubs!---In this black gumbo that my garden is and cub will NOT pull it or the regular 14" bottoms that MY cub plows have on them! (I have 3 of them), cub wont pull them at all, at any depth! For me, (I need at least 10" deep)---I then took a David-Bradley 6" plow and mounted it on toolbar and can easily plow the 10" depth that I need!!---cub slips a little but usually keeps right on going!---I fall plowed dry hard small gardens here this fall, ( a half acre) with it because I cant get the big plow in there! ( have 3- 14 snap coupler and a 4-14 semi-mount for the 45's that I do the big gardens with!)
Your soil type and how deep you need or can work it will dictate what plow you can use!

That's how it works around here, so YOU be the judge of what you need/want to do!! LOL!!!

So if you have the time and enjoy working on your cub, and can only get the sleeve hitch or 3-pt, they can easily be made to work AND do good job of turning ground over!---Just takes a little time and some thinking, OR asking for ideas/help to make the conversion! LOL!!---Best thing I ever did to my cub was to make the 3-pt. for it. I can now use most any small cat 0 or 1 factory made stuff on it! thanks guys! from sonny

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:52 pm

Sonny, I can believe a cub having trouble pulling the standard molboard plow in gumbo. I have only plowed gumbo one time (at an RPRU demo ground) and my cub was straining for all it was worth with the 151 rear mount disk plow, no way it would have pulled a molboard in it at a reasonable depth. A standard cub plow is 12 inches, the Super A plow is 14, I assume you probably have the cub plow though. In this area we do not have gumbo, we have clay and rock, and I suspect a Brinley catching on a rock and stopping 1500 pounds including wheel weights in less than an inch of travel might not come out too well. As long as the pull is steady and not a sudden slam a properly mounted Brinley will work with no problem.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!