Centre line engine?

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
UK-Cub
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: LA9
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Centre line engine?

Postby UK-Cub » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:37 am

Clownfish wrote:How about some pictures of the sandwiches also? From my experience Cub owners like food almost much as we like Cubs.

Sorry sandwiches all gone, just a few crumbs left.

That was after the finals had been taken off. I used the method previously described and it worked a treat.

Looks as though we have some oil leaks!
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
David

1956 Lister D stationary engine
1957 French Cub
2012 Land Rover Defender 110 double cab pick up

Every day is a school day

"Choose a job you love and you will never have to work a day in your life" Confucius

UK-Cub
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby UK-Cub » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:54 pm

The power of caustic soda, note I wore strong gauge rubber gauntlets and rinsed the part off with soapy water before using WD40 on machined surfaces.

For reference the spacer stood for 2 hours each end up in a mix of 1 lb. in 2 gallons of water - caustic soda added slowly to the water (conversions are approximate)
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
David

1957 French Cub

"Choose a job you love and you will never have to work a day in your life" Confucius

UK-Cub
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby UK-Cub » Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:45 pm

A close up of the identifiers on the right finals spacer.
Attachments
image.jpeg
David

1957 French Cub

Scrivet
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:14 pm

Is the Blue Willow Churchill or Johnson Brothers?

(From Cubs to china pattern discussions, this is a diverse and knowledgeable group!)

UK-Cub
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby UK-Cub » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:50 am

Scrivet wrote:Is the Blue Willow Churchill or Johnson Brothers?

(From Cubs to china pattern discussions, this is a diverse and knowledgeable group!)

Churchill!

Now to less serious matters, this 1958 French Cub appears to be a mongrel, I've found some F date codes meaning parts of the back end are 1960. Not just that but both finals have the same linkages on the brake bands meaning the left band only half covered the drum.

Isn't it things like this that makes life interesting.

The drum and band linkage are currently soaking in diesel, there was a lot of oil contamination already, so no worries there, besides I'm sure the linkage is reversible on reassembly IH would surely have made it so, if not some parts will need to be made.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
David

1957 French Cub

George M
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall Cub
2004 Cub Cadet 812

Postby George M » Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:55 pm

I have one too. I love the progress on this project.

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:15 pm

David, I didn't double check in a parts manual, but I do believe the brake toggles are a right and a left and not interchangeable. I don't have one to look at so I'm not sure how easily you could convert one or if it would need to be machined from scratch. Not knowing how your customs handles used tractor parts, it might be reasonable to have one shipped over.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Scrivet
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Scrivet » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:20 pm

UK-Cub wrote:............ Not just that but both finals have the same linkages on the brake bands meaning the left band only half covered the drum...............
I'm sure you ruled this out already but the drum can walk on the shaft if it isn't tightened down properly. It will walk out away from the shoulder and only have half the width (or even less) of the band around the drum.

UK-Cub
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby UK-Cub » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:22 am

Thanks Bob / Scrivet, haven't yet mastered quotes from two posts in one reply!

I have indentified that the brake drum is correct axially but the brake band isn't.

Mine is a French Cub but I think later / earlier US Cubs have the same linkage.

It is part 21 that is handed as can be seen from the photos.

I'm currently planning to
Cut off the projecting boss from the yoke
Use the cut off and a washer or make a longer spacer
Use that longer arrangement at the other side.
Reverse the pin that has a spacer attached.

The pin is in shear so all should be good.

I need to strip the other final that looks 'good' to ensure what I plan is sound otherwise I'll need to fabricate a whole new yoke.

Axial alignment of the drum and band should now be correct.

The drum and yoke are soaking in caustic soda, to clean / degrease.

Measure (at least) twice and cut once.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
The band locating pins were walking out
David

1957 French Cub

Glen
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:02 pm

Hi,
I looked at my Cub, which has the same brake style as yours, and the long round cast spacer on the brake yoke should face toward the transmission. The right and left are different, the spacer is made on the opposite side of the 2 parts. If yours in the pic was in the tractor with the long side facing the transmission, then it was correct.
If it is the part for the other side, then look at the other side and see if the other side has the part for the side in your pic, maybe they need switching, and you don't need to cut it.
You could also buy the part somewhere here in the USA probably, and have it sent there.
I see in your parts pic, it shows the serial number twice for when the brakes were changed. The 173601 is our serial number on the USA Cubs.
The parts pic does not show the spacer made on the yoke. :)

UK-Cub
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby UK-Cub » Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:25 am

Glen wrote:Hi,
I looked at my Cub, which has the same brake style as yours, and the long round cast spacer on the brake yoke should face toward the transmission. The right and left are different, the spacer is made on the opposite side of the 2 parts. If yours in the pic was in the tractor with the long side facing the transmission, then it was correct.
If it is the part for the other side, then look at the other side and see if the other side has the part for the side in your pic, maybe they need switching, and you don't need to cut it.
You could also buy the part somewhere here in the USA probably, and have it sent there.
I see in your parts pic, it shows the serial number twice for when the brakes were changed. The 173601 is our serial number on the USA Cubs.
The parts pic does not show the spacer made on the yoke. :)

Glen and Bob and Scrivet and any other followers,

I've learned two valuable lessons so far,

Don't look for complications
Do take lots of photos

On examination of the left brake components and comparing them with the right brake components and looking at photos during disassembly the answer was obvious.

The left brake band had been fitted upside down, backwards, reversed, whatever, just as simple as that so on reassembly I just need to do it right. Unless of course I discover a sinister reason it was fitted wrongly.

The photo shows the yoke the wrong way round.
Attachments
image.jpeg
David

1957 French Cub

Scrivet
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Scrivet » Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:50 am

Aren't you glad you found that before all the re-engineering. My vote is the same reason as to why you see some rear tires facing opposite directions. Somebody assembled it exactly the same as they did the other side, not mirror imaged.

UK-Cub
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby UK-Cub » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:05 am

Scrivet wrote:Aren't you glad you found that before all the re-engineering. My vote is the same reason as to why you see some rear tires facing opposite directions. Somebody assembled it exactly the same as they did the other side, not mirror imaged.

Not sure, when I got a new motor cycle in 1968 my parents wondered how long it would be before I started 'tinkering' - not long! :hattip:
David

1957 French Cub

UK-Cub
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby UK-Cub » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:54 am

Gently pulling the right brake drum
Attachments
image.jpeg
David

1957 French Cub

UK-Cub
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby UK-Cub » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:24 am

Decided not to do the mods. :surrender:

I got a price for the required rear spacers but even at 'mate's rates' (wonder how that translates?) they were more than I'd foolishly anticipated and together with other necessary changes at the front the final total cost would have been prohibitive.

I'm rather glad I set out on the journey though, I discovered the faulty right rear brake assembly meaning the band covered less than half the drum as the mechanism was upside down, by being back to front! so was possibly ineffective. I've read posts on here suggesting good Cub brakes aren't the best so bad Cub brakes would be downright dangerous.

I'll carry on with the cleaning exercise and will be replacing seals etc as I go along as well as doing a necessary rewire.

Regards,
David

1957 French Cub