New guy with some questions

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
HD103
Zip Code: 62882

New guy with some questions

Postby HD103 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:27 pm

Hey guys! Im new to antique tractors and i recently took custody of what i believe to be a 1948 cub. It belonged to my grandpa until he died in 1998. It had been restored to some degree before he died and has been sitting under a lean to since. I pulled it out a while back and drug it into the shed and started in on it. New battery and over hauled the carb in an effort to get it running. only then to find out i had low compression on all 4 cylinders. last night i dug into it, got the tractor split and the engine out. everything in the bottom end looks great, so im thinking ill be able to get away with having the valves ground new valve guides etc... My question for all you gurus on here is where is the best place to find parts? Most of what im looking for is gaskets seals etc. And any other tips/tricks to make this easier. Im really looking forward to getting her running again and making it a show piece. All help is appreciated. Thanks!

-Logan

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: New guy with some questions

Postby Barnyard » Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:32 pm

Low compression is not always a reason to dismantle the engine. Many times that may be caused by stuck rings or valves. However, since u are this far you might as well continue. The best place for your parts is TM Tractor, a sponsor of this site with a link near the bottom of this page.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:40 pm

Welcome to the Forum. TM Tractor has the best service, but is not a Case/IH dealer. If you find they don't have what you need, ask again and we can probably suggest someone if you don't have a Case/IH dealer close by.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

HD103

Postby HD103 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:45 pm

Thank you for the quick replies. It was one of those things where you pull the head off to take a peek at what youve got, then the next thing you know the tractor is dismantled and the engine is swinging from the hoist lol. My father in law is helping me with this project. There arent too many pieces of farm equipment he doesnt know his way around, however neither one of us have ever tackled a cub before.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:54 pm

Welcome.

Auto parts store will be able to obtain overhaul and gasket parts for your Cub. Just throwing that out as another alternative. Some of the common tune parts, they will have on hand.

You will need engine overhaul tools for small engines. Most overhaul tools are to large for a Cub engine.

Since you have the engine out of the tractor, suggest new rings and crankshaft bearings.

Also measure everything before ordering parts. There is a good chance the engine has been overhauled at least once and may no longer be "standard".

New throw bearing. Check the clutch disk and pressure plate.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Donegal Cub
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Donegal Cub » Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:09 pm

Great advice from the guys as usual. Welcome to the forum :tractor: :tractor:
Bernard,
Donegal Cub.

HD103

Postby HD103 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:36 pm

Eugene wrote:Welcome.

Auto parts store will be able to obtain overhaul and gasket parts for your Cub. Just throwing that out as another alternative. Some of the common tune parts, they will have on hand.

You will need engine overhaul tools for small engines. Most overhaul tools are to large for a Cub engine.

Since you have the engine out of the tractor, suggest new rings and crankshaft bearings.

Also measure everything before ordering parts. There is a good chance the engine has been overhauled at least once and may no longer be "standard".

New throw bearing. Check the clutch disk and pressure plate.

Thanks for the advice. We pulled the rod caps and main journals last night, to my suprise everything was tight, but the bearings werent stamped over size of any kind. Havent had the chance to put the calipers on anything yet. Theres a good possibility that the marking were there and between being covered in old oil and maybe too many bud lights, i just missed them. Throw out bearing is siezed the clutch disc and pressure plate looked to be in pretty good shape. It looks like i came to the right place. seems like you guys know theses tractors like the back of your hands.

danovercash
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28081

Postby danovercash » Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:50 pm

Throw out bearing is graphite and does not spin! Just keep serviced with cheap (low melt point) grease. Be sure to prime oil pump before restart. Plenty of info here if you search or ask.
"I'd rather be a mechanic in the shop"- Henry Ford

252646 & 221525. 195897 (Gone, but not forgotten)

dgrapes59
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45067
Tractors Owned: 1951 Cub
2-1955 Loboy w FH
a few plows, discs, mowers, blades, carrier & such
Several '61 CC Originals, CC Narrow Frames- 70 & 100's, 71, Couple 102's & 122's, 72, 124, 73, various CC options & implements #1 & 2 Trailers, 1963 Springfield, JD 770

Postby dgrapes59 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:36 pm

Welcome to the Forum!

Well, you took the hood off and jumped in with both feet, you have Grit! :D

Best of luck,
David

Smokeycub
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 44266
Tractors Owned: 48 F Cub #11678
65 Cub Cadet 104
70 450C JD loader
67 Cub Cadet 107
90 B7100HST-D Kubota
72 Cub Cadet 149
54 Super C

Postby Smokeycub » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:26 pm

Eugene wrote:Auto parts store will be able to obtain overhaul and gasket parts for your Cub. Just throwing that out as another alternative. Some of the common tune parts, they will have on hand.You will need engine overhaul tools for small engines. Most overhaul tools are to large for a Cub engine.Since you have the engine out of the tractor, suggest new rings and crankshaft bearings.Also measure everything before ordering parts. There is a good chance the engine has been overhauled at least once and may no longer be "standard".New throw bearing. Check the clutch disk and pressure plate.

:Dito: I would also suggest a rear main seal upgrade as the C60 motor is prone to rear main seal leaks due to the original design. Here's a link to a discussion about that.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=90908&p=719670&hilit=rear+main+seal#p719670
Last edited by Smokeycub on Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ray
Smokeycub
Attachments - 193 plow - 144 cultivator - 22 mower - 28A disc harrow - 54 leveling blade - Woods 59C2 - drag harrows - Mott D9 flail - flat belt pulley
The squeaky wheel may get the grease but it's usually the first to be replaced!

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:27 pm

HD103 wrote:It was one of those things where you pull the head off to take a peek at what youve got, then the next thing you know the tractor is dismantled and the engine is swinging from the hoist lol.

You'll fit right in here. Seems most of us can't even pull the hood without doing a complete teardown and restoration.

HD103

Postby HD103 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:38 pm

Hey guys thanks for the info! Last night after i did some cleaning and started to strip the block down i noticed that there was a crack that had been repaired, poorly haha. That really took the wind out of my sails. But, ive done some looking around and it seems like this is a pretty common problem. I understand that there are some after market braces available, I had my resident engine guru/welder/father in law look at it and he seemed pretty convinced that it could be welded. I know a hand full of you have been up this road. What do you all suggest?

itpdk9
Zip Code: 15101

Postby itpdk9 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:43 pm

Matt Kirsch wrote:
HD103 wrote:It was one of those things where you pull the head off to take a peek at what youve got, then the next thing you know the tractor is dismantled and the engine is swinging from the hoist lol.

You'll fit right in here. Seems most of us can't even pull the hood without doing a complete teardown and restoration.

It is very dangerous taking the hood off of a CUB...
52 Ford 8n
51 Farmall Cub
13 Kubota B3200 TLB
15 Toro zeroturn ss5000

Trent M
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 62859

Postby Trent M » Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:15 pm

HD103 wrote:Hey guys thanks for the info! Last night after i did some cleaning and started to strip the block down i noticed that there was a crack that had been repaired, poorly haha. That really took the wind out of my sails. But, ive done some looking around and it seems like this is a pretty common problem. I understand that there are some after market braces available, I had my resident engine guru/welder/father in law look at it and he seemed pretty convinced that it could be welded. I know a hand full of you have been up this road. What do you all suggest?

I assume you're talking about the block ear crack? KubKraft (forum member Rick Prentice) used to make these support braces to hold things together:

Luckily my block does not have the crack, but I added this as a measure of protection against developing a crack in the future. I also added a set of the braces to a tractor that did have the crack, held it together well. That tractor is sold, however.
Trent McPeak

Trent M
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 62859

Postby Trent M » Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:16 pm

BTW, howdy neighbor! I see you're not too far from me.
Trent McPeak