This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Found a Cub for sale. I've got lots of questions!! HELP!!

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
beejay86
10+ Years
10+ Years

Found a Cub for sale. I've got lots of questions!! HELP!!

Postby beejay86 » Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:02 pm

Hey there. I've been looking for a Cub for a while and found one real close! I've got some questions about it and I am hoping someone can answer.

1. It may or may not have a cracked block. Seems some weld is on the block near the front bottom near the front cover plate. Is it rare to find a cracked block and is this a usual place for the crack? Is what I am seeing not a weld at all? I will post pictures in a few days when I go look at it again. Is welding a block a good repair? I know welding cast iron is very very difficult.

2. The head gasket is weaping coolant. How hard would it be to change the gasket? Like a car I suppose, but I am just wondering. Is it a dangerous supposition to change a head gasket or could the engine be contaminated with water and now it's junk?

3. The rear axle near the brake is leaking fluid of some sort. Is this a seal or should I be suspicious?

The tractor is in overall decent condition despite a sad paint job. Starts right up and drives nice. I don't want to get myself into trouble buying a machine only to find out she has a crack or something worse sinking myself into an expensive repair. The seller is asking $2,000 and it comes with only a trailer. I am located in the northeast. Considering I'd need to replace the seals and gaskets, I was going to lowball the offer. What do you guys think??? Thank you very much for the help. -Brian.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:08 pm

It sounds like the block is cracked. That is a common location for cracks on a cub but from your description, I'd stay away from this one. You can buy a much better cub for the same money.
There is no "good" repair for a cracked blocks and weld repairs are always weaker than the original metal.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:23 pm

I'd pass this one up. Second Bigdog's opinion. $2000- range will get you a very decent Cub. Keep an eye on the For Sale/Wanted section of this site.

Good Luck

Eugene

'Country' Elliott
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37774
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick-Deering Farmall Cub
152 Disc Plow & Flat Belt Pulley
Brinly #8 Moldboard Plow
1971 JD 112 Garden Tractor
1928 Economy Hit & Miss Engine
1927 David Bradley "Little Wonder" Feed Grinder
1 A.H. Patch Corn Shellers
1 A.H. Patch #1 Grist Mill

Postby 'Country' Elliott » Tue Aug 23, 2005 6:47 am

Hey "BeeJay 86"...Stay away from ANY Cub with a welded block (or welded anything for that matter!) :wink: You're in an area that should be "LOADED" with Cubs (based upon all the northeast International Harvesters Dealers there were). :D I have seen too many Cubs with welded blocks, welded front ends, welded final drive housings, welded torque tubes, etc. to bother with ANY of them! :shock: Keep searchin' and you'll find the RIGHT CUB FOR YOU...at the PRICE YOU'LL WANT TO PAY! :wink: In the meantime...KEEP LEARNIN' & LOOKIN'! :D
"Save The Possums...Collect The Whole Set"
"Tennessee Sun-Dried Possum...Heaven In A Can"

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue Aug 23, 2005 6:54 am

beejay86:

Image. I agree with BigDog and Eugene on this one. He is asking way way too much for a Cub with a blown block and only a trailer to go with it. He must be dreaming eBay prices.

Ifn you really like this Cub though, this is what you can do if you are willing to do the work and have some experience. Not sure if I would do it, but then again, I am with Jethro... so what do I know :roll: :oops: :roll: :idea: :!:

Offer the guy $500.00US. Then tell him why. Course when you post pics we can illuminate further on the subject.

1. Block is cracked - replacement block probably what $300.00 to $500.00 :?: Check with Tom over at TM Tractor Parts

Tom has a few of these listed:

I just did a quick check at JP Tractor Salvage and this is what came up for average prices for a block:

Block 250.00 475.00 with new piston kit Boiled, magna fluxed. NO cracks or welds. Includes lifters, cam shaft and gear,

Sooo, you can base the price on what it would cost you to have the job done at your IH Dealer or another shop equipped for tractor repairs. It would not take long to hit a grand at least and more of course..

If he doesn't bite on the $500.00. my highest would probably be $750.00 but not a penny more. There is a winter's worth of playing there though.

All depends on what you have in mind and how much work you either don't mind or are willing to do. Also depends on how difficult it has been to find a Cub.

If you decide not to bite on this one, there are 4 or 5 on eBay at the moment. A couple in that price range, and a few starting much lower. It has been 2 days since I checked, but will have a look at the new search results they sent me this morning..
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 12020

$500

Postby allenlook » Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:04 am

Yeah, $500. Definitely not higher if it were me.
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:39 pm

An interesting note... you are not far from the northeast cubfest.... you may want to go, just for the fun of it.

As for Cubs.... I got the first one in TN which is a pretty long way from 'cub rich' New England.

I got the second one last spring at an auction in Swanton, VT. The ones with nice paint and virtually no attachments sold for $2000. I paid less, but it wasn't running (fuel/carb problem).

I have had good luck with being patient.... (http://www.refeq.com if you want to go to the auction, it is this Saturday)
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

beejay86
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby beejay86 » Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:36 am

Yes, I brought my father in law to look at it and indeed the block is cracked and welded up. So I'll pass on this one.

Alot of people say New England is "cub rich". I'm not seeing it! Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places. What is this Cub Fest? I'm hitting the fairs this year and looking real hard. Thank again.

Return to “Farmall Cub”