This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

I need some help, I am at a loss

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
PoconoCub
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 18330
Tractors Owned: .
1957 Farmall Cub
1953 Farmall Cub
1949 Farmall Cub
1948 Farmall Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: I need some help, I am at a loss

Postby PoconoCub » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:26 am

Jim Becker wrote:In your magneto picture, your rotor is pointing at #2, not #1. If that picture was taken with the crank pointer as shown in the previous picture, you are off 1/2 turn on the magneto. With the wires installed as in the book, each cylinder will fire at the start of the exhaust stroke.

Two fixes, both assuming your #1 piston is at TDC COMPRESSION, not TDC EXHAUST:
1. Move the plug wires all one position counterclockwise on the cap.
or
2. Remove the magneto, turn the drive one and a half turns counterclockwise and reinstall in the exact same place it is now.

Looking at it up close it is a bit off, it's actually in between #1 and #2. The crank pointer is set on the compression stroke, it tried to push my finger out og the hole and both valves are closed.

Instead of moving the plug wires, what do you think about re-positioning the rotor?

I am going to try the mag that I took off the otherday and see where that sits also.
Scott
ImageCircle of Safety

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Puffie40
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
1939 Farmall H
1959 MF 202
1965 MF 180
1937 Caterpillar 22

Postby Puffie40 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:44 am

First notch on the pully is #1 TDC, not compression. Second notch is when the magneto is supposed to fire. (Around 13 degrees past TDC)

At TDC, the impulse is winding up and the rotor should be positioned just before the no.1 terminal. At the second notch, the impulse trips and the rotor should be just past the no.1 terminal.

If the photo of the rotor is indeed at TDC, I would think your rotor is off by a few teeth.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:09 pm

PoconoCub wrote:Instead of moving the plug wires, what do you think about re-positioning the rotor?

Bad idea. The rotor should always be installed by lining up the timing marks on it and the pinion. Trying to eyeball it is looking for trouble. Fixing the current problem this way would require setting the rotor a quarter turn away from the pinion marker.

PoconoCub wrote:I am going to try the mag that I took off the otherday and see where that sits also.

Where it is at right now is not on the tractor. You can check the rotor/pinion timing marks for alignment. Where it ends up after installing it depends on correct installation. Follow the timing instructions in the manual when installing the magneto, don't just slap it on!
Puffie40 wrote:First notch on the pully is #1 TDC, not compression. Second notch is when the magneto is supposed to fire. (Around 13 degrees past TDC)

At TDC, the impulse is winding up and the rotor should be positioned just before the no.1 terminal. At the second notch, the impulse trips and the rotor should be just past the no.1 terminal.

The first notch is advanced from #1 TDC. The second notch is at TDC. The impulse should snap at the second notch.

Puffie40 wrote:If the photo of the rotor is indeed at TDC, I would think your rotor is off by a few teeth.

If the rotor isn't very close to one of the cap towers, I agree. Hard to judge from a picture. If the timing marks on the rotor and pinion are in line, the rotor position should be OK.

PoconoCub
5+ Years
5+ Years
1957 Farmall Cub
1953 Farmall Cub
1949 Farmall Cub
1948 Farmall Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby PoconoCub » Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:53 pm

I would like to thank everyone for their help, I hve her running again purrrrrrrrring like a kitten snd plowing through snow. Now I have to drive down to the gas station and fill her up. Wish me luck.
Scott
ImageCircle of Safety

Clownfish
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36578
Tractors Owned: 49 Farmall Cub
1959 Farmall Cub
2005 Massey Ferguson 1528

Postby Clownfish » Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:59 pm

Did you find the problem and correct it or did it just start running? That has happened to me a few times.

PoconoCub
5+ Years
5+ Years
1957 Farmall Cub
1953 Farmall Cub
1949 Farmall Cub
1948 Farmall Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby PoconoCub » Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:15 pm

Clownfish wrote:Did you find the problem and correct it or did it just start running? That has happened to me a few times.

I put the original mag back on the replacement looked a bit funny and had some play in it.
Scott
ImageCircle of Safety

Trent M
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 62859

Postby Trent M » Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:30 pm

I am happy you got it solved. Like Jim said, you really need to follow the procedure very closely when timing a magneto. That's the reason I like distributors instead, if you're off a little a simple rotation will take care of it!!
Trent McPeak

Puffie40
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
1939 Farmall H
1959 MF 202
1965 MF 180
1937 Caterpillar 22

Postby Puffie40 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:53 pm

If it's the rotor that had some play, the rotor pinion is likely worn out.

Return to “Farmall Cub”