This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Owner's manual has lots of info

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Owner's manual has lots of info

Postby Glen » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:20 pm

Hi,
For those who are new here, or haven't looked, the Cub owner's manuals have lots of info that a service manual might not have. A service manual is written more for taking the machine apart and putting it together again. The owner's manual has info about operation, maintenance, and lubrication, they say on the front of some of them.
I thought maybe in the winter some of you might have time to read one.
Here below are many different years of owner's manuals. Pick the one closest to the year of your Cub. The manuals have a table of contents on page 1, or near the beginning of them, that makes it easier to use on the internet if you want to look for something in the manual. :) :tractor:

http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Cub%20 ... index.html

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

UK-Cub
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: LA9

Re: Owner's manual has lots of info

Postby UK-Cub » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:29 am

Morning Glen,

Absolutely agree, this forum is a true fount of knowledge but the willingness of more experienced forum members to help is great.

I've been asking a few questions of late because sometimes even the FAQs and the manuals just don't quite give the answers and instead of stripping something down, maybe there's an easier way.

After a year of working with me one guy said I'd taught him 'everything he knew'. I observed I hadn't yet taught him 'everything I knew', because we hadn't yet hit all the issues I'd ever dealt with. In that respect you've personally been kind enough to help me out, for which I thank you.

One thing that keeps jumping out at me is 'prime the oil pump'. I've looked at the regular manuals and the Blue Ribbon ones and can't see (?!) this referenced. It's obviously very important but I wonder how this was flagged as an issue?

Kind regards
David

1956 Lister D stationary engine
1957 French Cub
2012 Land Rover Defender 110 double cab pick up

Every day is a school day

"Choose a job you love and you will never have to work a day in your life" Confucius

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:49 pm

David, not to sound elementary but the oil pump drains back to the oil pan over time if the engine is not run occasionally so "prime the oil pump" restores the oil film in the pump by displacing the air to help it pull the oil from the oil pan. This is if the pump does not automatically prime on its own after running the engine for 20 to 30 seconds. Probably not in the manuals anywhere but just something that is learned by trial and error over time. Stan
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:40 pm

Hi,
David, thanks for the kind words, glad to help if I can.
I didn't write the post above for anyone specifically, just for whoever has any interest in reading an owner's manual. Ask us anything you need, it's ok. Other guys here know more than I do about a Cub.
The owner's manuals have pics of how the Cubs originally were too, if anyone is restoring them to be like they were when they were new. :)

brewzalot
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 53105
Tractors Owned: '57 cub Loboy
'61 cub

Postby brewzalot » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:47 pm

UK-Cub wrote:I've looked at the regular manuals and the Blue Ribbon ones and can't see (?!) this referenced. It's obviously very important but I wonder how this was flagged as an issue?

staninlowerAL wrote:the oil pump drains back to the oil pan over time if the engine is not run occasionally

If a farmer could afford a tractor years ago , it usually didn't sit in a shed without running for any length of time like many of the restored tractors do today. Perhaps the manuals counted on them being used regularly and would not normally lose their prime?

Just a thought,

tim,

UK-Cub
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: LA9

Postby UK-Cub » Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:14 am

I know my reply shoots the post to the top of the lists without really making a contribution, but I'd like to thank contributors for clearing up the oil pump point.

When I was working we supplied an assembly to a US company (to their design) and I was briefed, in the UK, on its operation. In the US I was told the facts that were quite different, I reported the information back to my colleagues but was told I was wrong! Apologies for mistrusting anyone on here.

Might I also say that as well as the stuff at the top of the forum, again as pointed out to me by a poster, by looking at the sponsors sites at the bottom one can find component photographs that are sometimes more informative than the other data, this is helping me with final drive information.
David

1956 Lister D stationary engine
1957 French Cub
2012 Land Rover Defender 110 double cab pick up

Every day is a school day

"Choose a job you love and you will never have to work a day in your life" Confucius

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:36 am

brewzalot wrote:
UK-Cub wrote:I've looked at the regular manuals and the Blue Ribbon ones and can't see (?!) this referenced. It's obviously very important but I wonder how this was flagged as an issue?

staninlowerAL wrote:the oil pump drains back to the oil pan over time if the engine is not run occasionally

If a farmer could afford a tractor years ago , it usually didn't sit in a shed without running for any length of time like many of the restored tractors do today. Perhaps the manuals counted on them being used regularly and would not normally lose their prime?

Just a thought,

tim,

Keep in mind that most Cubs are 65+ years old. Many of them have had engines "rebuilt", many more than once. How many of those have had oil pump gears replaced or even had their clearance checked? Probably a minority. I suspect the lost prime is mostly a function of worn oil pumps and maybe even some loosely fitting oil pickup tubes.

Of all the Cubs I have, only one has lost prime, ever. And it has done it a couple times. I think it is fairly clear that something isn't quite right about that engine.

Denny Clayton
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45365
Tractors Owned: Home to "Rusty", the 2007 and 2009 Cub Tug Champion.

Postby Denny Clayton » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:09 am

Jim Becker wrote:Of all the Cubs I have, only one has lost prime, ever. And it has done it a couple times. I think it is fairly clear that something isn't quite right about that engine.

I'm with Jim on this. I have/or had 13 Cubs over the past 30 some years and have never had one lose prime. Some only get/or got started once or twice a year and they've always built oil pressure within seconds of starting, but I always watch that oil gauge closely.
'61 Lo-Boy
'60 FH Lo-Boy
'60 Lo-Boy
'57 FH Cub "Rusty" (CubTug winner 2007 & 2009)
Member of Ohio Chapter 6
Circle of Safety

Return to “Farmall Cub”