Front Engine Cover Gasket - Sealant or Not?

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
EugeneFromMichigan
Zip Code: 48357

Front Engine Cover Gasket - Sealant or Not?

Postby EugeneFromMichigan » Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:06 pm

So thanks to all the kind folks and informative posts on this site I was able to get my crankshaft pulley off! Believe me, I've seldom felt greater joy or relief than when I heard that initial "pop" as it let go and started to move! With that out of the way I'm now turning my attention to cleaning up the front engine cover, replacing the bad oil seal, etc., which leads to my question about the engine cover gasket. The various posts and manuals I've seen say to leave the bolts on the cover loose until the new pulley is installed, so that the cover and seal can center themselves around the pulley. I'm not sure how that self-centering would work, however, if the gasket needs (or would benefit by) gasket sealer. So should I use gasket sealer on the engine cover gasket? If so, just one side (and does it matter which) or both?

By the way, the question of whether or not to use a gasket sealer - and if so which type/brand - has been a recurring puzzle for me as I've progressed with my restoration. Has anyone ever put together a spreadsheet or list of all the various Cub gaskets, with recommendations as to whether they need a sealer, if so what kind, etc.? Might make a very handy resource, assuming it were possible to reach some consensus. Just a thought...

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Front Engine Cover Gasket - Sealant or Not?

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:38 pm

Seems to be more a matter of opinion, than need. I use Indian Head sealer, because that's what I was taught, years ago. I bolt down the front plate, before installing the pulley. Haven't had one leak.
Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Re: Front Engine Cover Gasket - Sealant or Not?

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:40 pm

I have never used a sealer on the front cover gasket.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!