Farmall Cub Bear Sign

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
rjfcsa
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 60957

Farmall Cub Bear Sign

Postby rjfcsa » Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:36 pm

Hello All,
Well we got one, or Dad did. This one had been on ebay for an astronomical price near Chicago, so driving distance for us. Well it had a buy it now or best offer, and dad kept offering a sum much, much, less than what he was wanting. I guess he realized it wasn't worth quite what he wanted, especially in the condition it was in, and he contacted dad about one of his offers. So dad kind of surprised us one evening, him and mom went and brought it home. Hannah was a bit surprised to see it laying in the back of the van. It was still rather expensive, but we have been looking for one to copy. I made a frame for it, with a blow dryer got the shipping tape off with minimal more damage. we gently cleaned it so it looks much better. I used acid free bookbinding tape on the back to reinforce the torn spots, and acid free glue on the front to glue loose spot together and we are pretty happy with our work.
We are wanting to get one of these made for our cub display at shows probably out of vinyl, like our other display posters. We found a place to get it printed but we need to get in on a file. scanning would be a tall order, we found a place with a big enough scanner but the items need to be flat. Well with the frailness of this and that it is not flat, with the extra cardboard on the back and the various grommets we are going to try route 2. My one sister works for my Aunt in her Tatting craft business, on office work, putting together the catalogs with pics. etc. and she has a high quality camera we were able to use along with some lighting stands. My sister took over a hundred pis of this bear in sections and is going to try to stitch them together in a program they have and clean up the cracks and try to patch in the missing bits. The photos are clear enough that you can blow them up and read the, lithographed in the U.S.A.,at the bottom. I hope it all works out Hannah wants me to rig one up at a show so it is standing up like the originals. indeed that would look neat. Oh well rambled long enough here are a couple pics off my not so high def. camera.
Thanks all enjoy,
Russel Foster
Attachments
IMG_8605.JPG
IMG_8603.JPG

Urbish
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 48158
Tractors Owned: ~
1948 Farmall Cub
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Farmall Cub Bear Sign

Postby Urbish » Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:07 pm

Cool sign. I'm surprised they never got into legal trouble with Piper Aircraft Corp or vice versa:

Rob in NH
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 03848
eBay ID: panelbeata
Tractors Owned: 1947 circle cub
1950 cub demonstrator
1957 cub
1967 cub

Postby Rob in NH » Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:16 pm

i saw that on ebay, glad that you were able to get it.

baldwindiesel
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 44820

Postby baldwindiesel » Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:37 pm

I saw that listed several times too. I have seen advertising for the CUB where those can be seen in the dealer's window. That would be a really cool item to have reproductions made. There is a metal sign maker on Ebay who did a metal reproduction of the CUB "HOOD" display showing a cutaway of the tractor and a CUB "Bear". It was well done. Maybe they would be interested in doing some copies.????? Just curious, how tall is it ?

Baldwindiesel

rjfcsa
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 60957

Postby rjfcsa » Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:49 pm

baldwindiesel wrote:I saw that listed several times too. I have seen advertising for the CUB where those can be seen in the dealer's window. That would be a really cool item to have reproductions made. There is a metal sign maker on Ebay who did a metal reproduction of the CUB "HOOD" display showing a cutaway of the tractor and a CUB "Bear". It was well done. Maybe they would be interested in doing some copies.????? Just curious, how tall is it ?

Baldwindiesel

Baldwindiesel,
This is the big one to display in the shop window or outside. It is made out of heavy cardboard with a lithographed front. They are pretty big at 38" wide and standing 5 feet tall. A metal would look neat but I am afraid it might be cost prohibitive, and to haul it around to shows with out denting it, hmmm not sure. If the pics turn out my sister is working one, I think vinyl would be more forging to use. If it come out well might be able to get copies made if anyone might be interested, don't have a clue on price right now. Hannah would like to have one done to take to red power in Wis.
Thanks,
Russel

baldwindiesel
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 44820

Postby baldwindiesel » Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:51 pm

WOW ! I had no idea that they were that big !

Baldwindiesel

(CUB HUT)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47401

Postby (CUB HUT) » Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:18 am

P M sent Dave
THE OLDER I GET ---THE BETTER I WAS

If you can read this... thank a teacher... if you are reading it in English....THANK A VET !!!

TurboRoadster
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 77328
Tractors Owned: 67 Cub LoBoy

Postby TurboRoadster » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:12 am

skwimjim wrote:Cool sign. I'm surprised they never got into legal trouble with Piper Aircraft Corp or vice versa:

now a days, they probably wouldnt get away with it being similar.