cub performance mods ?

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
User avatar
TurboRoadster
Cub Star
Cub Star
Posts: 171
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:04 pm
Zip Code: 77328
Tractors Owned: 67 Cub LoBoy
Circle of Safety: Y
Location: Cut and Shoot Texas

Re: cub performance mods ?

Postby TurboRoadster » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:11 pm

I'm thinking of getting another block and tossing a small turbo on it, using a 42mm mikuni carb, 5-6# of boost ought to wake the little motor up right nicely and still be plenty reliable, even with the heavy cast pistons.

Puffie40
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Posts: 277
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:47 pm
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
1939 Farmall H
1959 MF 202
1965 MF 180
1937 Caterpillar 22
Circle of Safety: Y
Location: BC Canada

Re: cub performance mods ?

Postby Puffie40 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:13 pm

The turbo will probably get you the most power boost, but keep the phrase 'The brightest bulb lasts the shortest' in mind. I read that turbocharged engines actually have fairly low compression ratios to try and address the fuel requirements that they get as a result

A turbo will also mean other systems will have to be upgraded. For instance, more power means more fuel. More fuel means more heat. More heat means the thermosiphon cooling system is suddenly inadequate.

User avatar
TurboRoadster
Cub Star
Cub Star
Posts: 171
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:04 pm
Zip Code: 77328
Tractors Owned: 67 Cub LoBoy
Circle of Safety: Y
Location: Cut and Shoot Texas

Re: cub performance mods ?

Postby TurboRoadster » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:57 pm

Puffie40 wrote:The turbo will probably get you the most power boost, but keep the phrase 'The brightest bulb lasts the shortest' in mind. I read that turbocharged engines actually have fairly low compression ratios to try and address the fuel requirements that they get as a result

A turbo will also mean other systems will have to be upgraded. For instance, more power means more fuel. More fuel means more heat. More heat means the thermosiphon cooling system is suddenly inadequate.


Its very easy to add intercooler if it needs a cooler charge, but 5# isnt an astronomical amount, and more fuel is why the 42mm bigger carb which also adds cooling (more fuel doesnt mean more heat, I have tons of dyno hours to back that statement up) The tune is important, Lean is mean and hot, Fat is rich and cooler temps. The low compression ratio of these motors make them perfect for boosting. Brightest bulbs burns out faster is not applicable if you know what your doing as far as boost and tune, I have built many turbo motors, some raced some daily driven, even boosted my HD myself, I can definitely do it properly if I decided to.

User avatar
John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Posts: 22625
Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2003 2:09 pm
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.
Location: Mo, Potosi

Re: cub performance mods ?

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:08 pm

Don't forget, you have an entire power train designed for an engine that produces 10 drawbar horsepower. The reason I mention that is I have a Howard Despeeder that reduces ground speed to half, and also comes with warnings to only use it to reduce speed, NOT to increase pull. I was mowing a calf feeding lot that had not been used for a year or so. I was using the flail and had the Despeeder engaged so I could creep into the weeds which were higher than my head on the tractor. I went cross ways through a low place about a foot deep and a nearly perfect match to the curve of the rear tires, which gave me much better traction than normal, and at the same time the flail caught the end of a partly buried railroad tie (old water tank runner) I had not seen. The tractor just stopped moving, no noise, no loading of the engine, just stopped with the mower still turning. I brought the other cub out, and got Mom to ride the disabled one and steer it as I towed it to the shed where I proceeded to check it, then tore into it expecting the worst, which would have been something being broken in the Despeeder (parts no longer available). to my relief, the problem was the top shaft of the left final was broken. There is nothing I can think of that would have stopped me moving while the pto still worked, and been easier or cheaper to replace.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

User avatar
Urbish
501 Club
501 Club
Posts: 1340
Joined: Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:45 pm
Zip Code: 48158
Tractors Owned: ~
1948 Farmall Cub
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B
Circle of Safety: Y
Location: Manchester, MI

Re: cub performance mods ?

Postby Urbish » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:09 pm

TurboRoadster wrote:
Puffie40 wrote:The turbo will probably get you the most power boost, but keep the phrase 'The brightest bulb lasts the shortest' in mind. I read that turbocharged engines actually have fairly low compression ratios to try and address the fuel requirements that they get as a result

A turbo will also mean other systems will have to be upgraded. For instance, more power means more fuel. More fuel means more heat. More heat means the thermosiphon cooling system is suddenly inadequate.


Its very easy to add intercooler if it needs a cooler charge, but 5# isnt an astronomical amount, and more fuel is why the 42mm bigger carb which also adds cooling (more fuel doesnt mean more heat, I have tons of dyno hours to back that statement up) The tune is important, Lean is mean and hot, Fat is rich and cooler temps. The low compression ratio of these motors make them perfect for boosting. Brightest bulbs burns out faster is not applicable if you know what your doing as far as boost and tune, I have built many turbo motors, some raced some daily driven, even boosted my HD myself, I can definitely do it properly if I decided to.


Sounds like a cool project. Consider photo documenting your build on this site if you go for it.

Bill E Bob
10+ Years
10+ Years
Posts: 2969
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 12:09 pm
Zip Code: 74070
Circle of Safety: Y
Location: OK, Skiatook

Re: cub performance mods ?

Postby Bill E Bob » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:58 pm

TurboRoadster wrote:lets see this mad max of a beast!


Pictures upcoming, prob Thurs.

outdoors4evr
5+ Years
5+ Years
Posts: 1329
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:44 pm
Zip Code: 48423
Tractors Owned: 184
Location: Davison, MI

Re: cub performance mods ?

Postby outdoors4evr » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:55 am

Don't convert a cub into a numbered series... Keep the cub and buy a numbered series as well!
Another thought... buy a "New International Cub" that has the upgrades.

The numbered series does use a paper air filter.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller

Bill E Bob
10+ Years
10+ Years
Posts: 2969
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 12:09 pm
Zip Code: 74070
Circle of Safety: Y
Location: OK, Skiatook

Re: cub performance mods ?

Postby Bill E Bob » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:43 am

Pics as promised:
Pic #3 is brake set up for reversed finals.
Pics 5/6 Yes it will support a drawbar.
Attachments
P1010035.jpg
P1010034.jpg
P1010021.jpg
P1010033.jpg
P1010030.jpg
P1010029.jpg
Last edited by Bill E Bob on Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bill E Bob
10+ Years
10+ Years
Posts: 2969
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 12:09 pm
Zip Code: 74070
Circle of Safety: Y
Location: OK, Skiatook

Re: cub performance mods ?

Postby Bill E Bob » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:47 am

Additional pics:
Attachments
P1010037.jpg
Another view
P1010036.jpg
Strap for floor pan support

User avatar
TurboRoadster
Cub Star
Cub Star
Posts: 171
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:04 pm
Zip Code: 77328
Tractors Owned: 67 Cub LoBoy
Circle of Safety: Y
Location: Cut and Shoot Texas

Re: cub performance mods ?

Postby TurboRoadster » Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:44 am

damn dude! thats gnarly,
what do you do with it?

User avatar
Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Posts: 10239
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:35 pm
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613
Circle of Safety: Y
Location: VA. Randolph

Re: cub performance mods ?

Postby Boss Hog » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:36 pm

I am a bit late on this, but you will see a difference with the late model parts , you will be turning into a late model longstripe basically. and there is a big difference in power. You will hear lots of folks saying that there is little difference and you want see any improvement. Well if they had ever had a good late model they would know that there is a lot of noticeable gain in power. I have had many of both and I know!!
Boss
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Bill E Bob
10+ Years
10+ Years
Posts: 2969
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 12:09 pm
Zip Code: 74070
Circle of Safety: Y
Location: OK, Skiatook

Re: cub performance mods ?

Postby Bill E Bob » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:57 am

TurboRoadster wrote:damn dude! thats gnarly,
what do you do with it?

Well, obviously, I need to finish it with paint and the additional parts. As I said, just a toy :wink:
Think "Cub Tug".

outdoors4evr
5+ Years
5+ Years
Posts: 1329
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:44 pm
Zip Code: 48423
Tractors Owned: 184
Location: Davison, MI

Re: cub performance mods ?

Postby outdoors4evr » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:27 am

I am somewhat shocked when I hear comments like the rest of the drivetrain was made for 10hp.
Cub & Cub Cadet transmissions are quite prized in the pulling circuit. Many of these small garden tractors run 20-30+ hp through them with minimal or no modifications to the transmission.

For higher horsepower performance, there also are pulling tractor gearsets that are used in the cub & cub cadet transmissions.
http://www.mcssl.com/store/midwestsupercub/transmssion-parts
- Just in case you intend to really stress test the driveline.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller

User avatar
64/67lo-boy
5+ Years
5+ Years
Posts: 380
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:46 pm
Zip Code: 23453
Tractors Owned: .
48 cub
67 loboy
52 super c
74 cub 154
50 c
Circle of Safety: Y
Location: Virginia Beach

Re: cub performance mods ?

Postby 64/67lo-boy » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:18 am

Looks like you are making a clone of the industrial hill side loboy with the reversed finals dual rear wheels and wide front end.
007a.jpg
not sure whos this is
Pete from Virginia Beach


man comes into the world cold naked wet and starving, and after that things get worse. "Gun Smoke"

User avatar
TurboRoadster
Cub Star
Cub Star
Posts: 171
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:04 pm
Zip Code: 77328
Tractors Owned: 67 Cub LoBoy
Circle of Safety: Y
Location: Cut and Shoot Texas

Re: cub performance mods ?

Postby TurboRoadster » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:15 am

Bill E Bob wrote:
TurboRoadster wrote:damn dude! thats gnarly,
what do you do with it?

Well, obviously, I need to finish it with paint and the additional parts. As I said, just a toy :wink:
Think "Cub Tug".

start a thread up on it, I would love to see more and ask some questions and dont want to hijack the OPs thread.
ok, ill ask one here...does reversing the finals make it ride on the back sides of the gears? as in reversed rotate?


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Farmall Cub”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Cubfriend, Jerry's cub and 8 guests