Smoking starter switch

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Lowrollerjr
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 93010
Tractors Owned: 1952 Cub

Smoking starter switch

Postby Lowrollerjr » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:00 pm

Hey everyone here is my dilemma... I was hoping to start my tractor today but I guess it wasn't meant to be. Most of the tractor was disassembled and painted, then put back together. This is a 1952 6 volt positive ground. I put on a new wiring harness and followed the diagram in the manual. I didn't have any wires left over so im hoping I wired it correctly...I rechecked it numerous times. Soooooooo I connected the battery and smoke came out of the starter switch. I disconnected it immediately. You guys haven't let me down yet...please help. :lost: :lost: :help:

Glen
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Smoking starter switch

Postby Glen » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:10 am

Hi,
If the only place the smoke is coming from is from inside the switch on top of the starter, the insulation inside the switch might be the problem. There are 2 pieces of thin insulation in the switch, at the sides of the contacts, the insulation has to be there or it will short.
I don't know if it was working before you rewired the Cub, if you didn't take the switch off the starter, it sounds like it just happened to short at this time. Disconnect the battery, and remove the switch and see if it is shorting inside.
The insulation comes with a new switch, the last time I bought one, but I haven't bought one lately.
Some of the guys have made them from something, I don't remember what it was. Some sort of plastic probably. Maybe someone will write what they used. Clean up the contacts while you have it apart would be good to do also. If the contacts look too bad, then a new switch would be better. :)

Lowrollerjr
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby Lowrollerjr » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:10 am

Yes it was working before I rewired the cub. I did remove the switch and replaced the gasket. I also re installed the two pieces of insulation as well. I will take it apart and see if I can find the problem there.Thank you.

TurboRoadster
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 77328
Tractors Owned: 67 Cub LoBoy

Postby TurboRoadster » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:43 am

when testing wiring, always connect a small battery charger to the system first, set it on 2 amps and then you wont let the smoke out and have high amp melting battery damage if you wired it wrong.

Lowrollerjr
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby Lowrollerjr » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:22 am

Thanks for your help... I took off the starter switch and went through it. It looked ok but im thinking the little plastic insulators got out of position. So I tried to start it for the 1st time. I hit the starter and after about 4 turns of the motor it fired right up. A nice pay off after 6 months of work.

cub.bub
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: 46628
Tractors Owned: 55 cub, 54a blade, (2) woods L59 mower...Allis Chalmers CA
1965 International 140, 60" grader blade.

Postby cub.bub » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:27 pm

It is a GOOD feeling! :applause: :applause:
Nice job.

Bruce