This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Was a rough winter

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Chase_Cub22
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 17315

Was a rough winter

Postby Chase_Cub22 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:37 pm

Hi I'm new to posting but read all the time. I have a 1961 cub that gave me a little bit of a fit this winter. We got hit with 36" snow this winter in central PA. I use my cub for mowing, grading my stone drive way, and plowing snow. My cub really disappointed me this winter with cold starts. I could not get thing started several times. Just doesn't seem to wanna fire off and then the battery dies before it even tries to fire off. I installed new plugs, plug wires, dist cap, points, voltage regulator, and had the 6 volt generator gone over by a professional. I also did a complete carb rebuild. All of this work was done just within last spring. Any suggestions on what I can do to get this thing to fire better? It runs great after I finally get it started. Hate to do it but I'm kinda thinking converting to 12v. Any input would be great!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Chase_Cub22
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 17315

Re: Was a rough winter

Postby Chase_Cub22 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:38 pm

This was my first winter using the tractor for plowing snow

indy61
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby indy61 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:55 pm

New battery and cables.

viewtopic.php?f=140&t=82170

DickB
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: 1955 Cub Fast Hitch
sickle bar
land plow
harrows
snow plow
manure spreader
hayrake, rope pull
variety of cultivators
Wagner WM-1 bucket loader
rear carrier -- homemade

Postby DickB » Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:44 am

While most of the informed and skilled folks on this forum will tell you that you need a top notch tuning up and then all will be swell, my approach was different. Sure I tried to do the best on a tune up: new points, condenser, plugs. Fresh gas. But in the end my '55 or so Cub now starts up no matter how low the temperature. And with a 6 volt system in place, too. What I did was to put in to the lower inlet pipe of the radiator-to-engine, a heater plug (there's a way to do this that minimizes flow blockage--there must be a thread on the forum, please search). Then I bought an oil pan heater. Then, with an old battery I charged it up. All three electrical circuits were on a timer (going on, say at 5am, so that everything on the tractor will be warm as summer and ready to turn over).

Since then, a new battery was needed and I've dropped off on the charging.

cjpenny89
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cjpenny89 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:12 am

With all the old tractors I have owned and used on the farm along with about 12 different cubs you will find out that each one will have a mind of its own. Some like the carb choked with no throttle some like it choked with full throttle or half throttle, some will like it rolled over 2 or 3 times with the choke out then choke off to start. Some like no choke at all.
Yes it helps and improves your chances very much with a good tune up but once you learn what your little tractor likes to do on cold start ups it will start up every or almost every time with out fail! Sometimes its a learning experience and what one guy does with one tractor doesn't mean it will work for you! I do know no matter what tractor I have owned if it is sitting in the barn out of the wind and can be kept warmer it will start even easier! The same goes for warm weather starts we have probably 15 letter series tractors we use year around and each one has it quirks and starting procedures even for warm weather. If I shut my cub off when mowing and want to restart it after it is hot I have to choke the heck out of it or it wont start. Now my Super A it doesn't matter warm cold hot engine don't touch the choke or it wont start! Remember what you did when it starts easy and try that first next time.
good luck
"don't find fault, find a remedy"
1948 Cub, 1945 A, 1955 100

Winfield Dave
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 17953
Tractors Owned: ......Almost enough.
N3NIK

Postby Winfield Dave » Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:39 am

Even my Cubs that start easily sometimes want to "sleep in" when it is very cold.
I then use a technique Gary Dotson told me about when I tried starting Dad's old diesel track loader...
Put a hair dryer blowing into air intake for a few minutes while getting ready to start and leave it running while firing up.
Dave
"More gold has been mined from the thoughts of men than has been taken from the earth." -- Napoleon Hill

inairam
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 19342
Tractors Owned: 1948 6v - Dozer
1949 with kub klipper belly mower. mag 6v - Mom
1950 with plow, 54 blade, mott mag 6v - Roxanne
1953 54 blade, c22, wood 42 6v
1957 6v - barn Queen
1965 lo-boy with c-3 mower 12 v - Loboy
1974 Horse II 12 v c-2
1975 with woods 42-6 12 v - Horse
1979 long strip 12 v stuck engine
130 with international 1000 loader 6 v
1969 140 with bush hog tow behind mower 12 v
Terramite T-6 4WD Backhoe Perkins diesel
Memberships: Rough and Tumble Engineers Historical Association;Chapter 8 IH Collectors; IH Collectors Worldwide

Postby inairam » Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:33 am

Like you I have tried to keep my 6 volt systems in tune but still had trouble starting. I did get some help from a friend who collects old Harley motorcycles. I call him the " magneto whisperer". Through this forum I have become much more aware of the issues with fresh fuel especially ethanol fuel. I have stated putting fuel stabilizer in the gas can before I fill it. The only non ethanol fuel near me is at the local airport. I have also stated turning off the fuel and running the carb dry. I think booth of these have helped with starting. Instead of spending money converting to 12 volts, which will not fix starting issues, you may want to invest in the electronic ignition. People on the forum appear to have strong feeling both ways. Read some of the threads and form you own opinion I bought a system but have not installed it yet. I going to give it a try on one of my cubs. I may also try the electric turbocharger AKA hair dryer!
When you only have 9 horsepower you need to know the names of all of the ponies!

Mike in Louisiana
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71023

Postby Mike in Louisiana » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:04 am

Also check your timing with a timing light.
1975 cub (LouAnn) serial # 245946, 1941 John Deere Model H

Good judgment comes from experience,
and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:30 am

indy61 wrote:New battery and cables.
Check battery condition and cables for corrosion. Also move the battery ground cable to the transmission case.

If you haven't done so, check the ignition timing with a timing light.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:00 pm

The solution could be as simple as learning how to use the choke.

You say the tractor runs great when you finally get it running, which means things are in pretty good shape overall. That leads me to believe its more in your starting technique than anything wrong with the tractor.

Many people don't use the choke at all, and run the battery flat cranking. Or, they set it and forget it, usually flooding the engine with way too much fuel. Each tractor is a little different in what it needs to start in various conditions. You need to learn what your tractor needs and give it what it needs each time you go to start it.

Some tractor need no choke at all in any weather. Others need just a blip. Most need at least a blip, and then some feathering to keep the tractor running until it stabilizes. A few even like "set it and forget it."

Start cranking with no choke, then give it a quick blip, then another blip a couple seconds later if you don't get a sputter. Have your hand on the choke ready to add choke if the engine starts to die from not enough gas, and remove it when the engine starts to sputter from too much gas.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:34 pm

Hi,
I don't think anyone said above, if the spark is not as good as it should be, it won't start good in cold weather. If you have replaced the parts that you said, and the ignition timing is right, using a timing light, then you might need a new condenser and coil. The old original coils with the wires on opposite ends sometimes get weak and don't make as hot a spark as they should. :)

danovercash
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28081

Postby danovercash » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:23 pm

JMHO, electric ignition for 12V, if 6v won't start it get a magneto properly set up. Either way you need a bright blue spark!
"I'd rather be a mechanic in the shop"- Henry Ford

252646 & 221525. 195897 (Gone, but not forgotten)

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:07 pm

Make sure your battery cables are at least 2 gauge or heavier. Keep your foot off the clutch when starting.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:13 pm

Barnyard wrote:... Keep your foot off the clutch when starting.

AND transmission in neutral.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:30 am

I am certain that a 6V system can work in any weather - if everything is in top notch condition.
With that said, I have never had any starting issues or gimmicks to do with 12v and pertronix ignition regardless of the temperature.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

Return to “Farmall Cub”