Brought home my new Cub today.

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
LRiddle
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: 44278
Tractors Owned: .
1951 Farmall Cub - Chesty

Woods 59 belly mower

54A blade

1956 Gravely L

Dozer blade

Tiller

Rotary Plow
Circle of Safety: Y

Brought home my new Cub today.

Postby LRiddle » Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:13 pm

Hello all. My name is Luke, from Tallmadge Ohio. I joined the forum last week after I bought my Cub to be my "daily driver" for cutting the grass. I finally got to bring her home today. She looks pretty good, but there are a couple of things to iron out.

I was hoping you guys could help identify the year a little bit. The serial number tag is shot and the closest I can figure off the engine, it's a 51, but the dash doesn't seem to be correct for that year.

Also, any idea on the make and model of the mowing deck? I think it's a woods, but I'm not positive.

http://imgur.com/4lbhWI9
http://imgur.com/EfDwRUJ
http://imgur.com/RtMRrOz
http://imgur.com/jYoMa2R
Luke Riddle
Tallmadge, Ohio
1951 Cub - Chesty

"You can't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln

Circle of Safety

LRiddle
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!

Woods 59 belly mower

54A blade

1956 Gravely L

Dozer blade

Tiller

Rotary Plow

Re: Brought home my new Cub today.

Postby LRiddle » Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:16 pm

Also, sorry about the seat cover, lol, I'm not sure what the previous owner was thinking. It was on when I bought it and it will be gone as soon as I can find an IH one.
Luke Riddle
Tallmadge, Ohio
1951 Cub - Chesty

Circle of Safety

staninlowerAL
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1)'52, (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (1)'72 154 Number Series Loboy, '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '53 MM BG (offset), (2) '49 Avery V's, '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76 Yanmar 1500, Sears Surburban's, MTD's, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:31 pm

Welcome to the forum. That's a nice looking set-up with the mower deck. Looks like someone spent some time on making it look good. As far as the tractor SN ID plate, you might consider removing it from the bolster and see if you can read the numbers from the back side. Sometimes the stamping is visible that way. Replacement tags are available if you want to renew it. If that fails, then check as many of the casting numbers as you can find. If the majority of them are close to the same date then it's likely that will tell you when it was made. Also look behind the carb on the boss of the engine and you should find the engine SN in a hand metal die stamp format. It will not be the same as the tractor SN but for a 51 model it will be reasonably close. Check TM Tractor's website for a list of serial numbers, also Raymond Durban's database for additional information. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=87029 The dash might have been changed in the past. The manuals listed above has information on the WOODS mowers which might be helpful.

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:37 pm

Wow! Nice looking Cub!! That should serve you well for mowing and you'll probably find many more chores to use it for. Cubs are a joy to use. Rural King has good prices on Cub seats....
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:34 pm

Nice looking rig, and do not worry about the seat cover, I have seen lots worse things done to them than having a yellow/black seat cover. The mower deck is one of the Woods 59 series. Woods is the only company that used a single belt to power all 3 blades from the pto. I suggest you remove the cover off the center pulley and take a picture of the belt routing for future reference. If you use it a lot, several years form now it will need replaced, or will jump off due to a stick and without that picture or a manual that is quite a challenge.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Glen
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:42 pm

Hi,
The dash looks normal to me, if it's a 1951 Cub, it has a Battery Ignition Unit and voltage regulator on the side of the engine, so that is the style of dash they had. The longer sided dash was used on Cubs older than yours.
Here is a owner's manual for the Woods 59C-2 rotary mower, it is probably what you have, but you have no pic of the rear of yours, so I don't know what the rear looks like.
It looks like the 2 bars going back from the mower go up too much, Woods had brackets that bolt on the final drive attachment holes, so the bars were about level going back to the rear.
They are number 18 in the parts exploded pic. The rear drive assembly is number 20 in the pic. Click on the pics makes them bigger. :)

http://www.farmallcub.info/galleries/oe ... _Mower.asp

http://www.farmallcub.info/manuals/wood ... e%2008.jpg

LRiddle
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!

Woods 59 belly mower

54A blade

1956 Gravely L

Dozer blade

Tiller

Rotary Plow

Postby LRiddle » Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:31 am

Thanks for the compliments and advice. So far it seems things are working well except The system is not charging the battery and it runs hit and spits coolant out of the radiator. Once I figure this out I look forward to hours of work with this little guy.
Luke Riddle
Tallmadge, Ohio
1951 Cub - Chesty

Circle of Safety

Smokeycub
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 44266
Tractors Owned: 48 F Cub #11678
65 Cub Cadet 104
70 450C JD loader
67 Cub Cadet 107
90 B7100HST-D Kubota
72 Cub Cadet 149
54 Super C

Postby Smokeycub » Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:40 am

Hello and welcome! I see we're nearly neighbors! Nice looking tractor! This is the place to be if you have questions/issues with your Cub, many knowledgeable folks here ready and willing to help. We're close enough I could stop by if a need should arise.
LRiddle wrote:spits coolant out of the radiator
This happens when the radiator is over filled and provided there are no other leaks. There needs to be expansion room so only fill to slightly below the plate under the cap.
Ray
Smokeycub
Attachments - 193 plow - 144 cultivator - 22 mower - 28A disc harrow - 54 leveling blade - Woods 59C2 - drag harrows - Mott D9 flail - flat belt pulley

The squeaky wheel may get the grease but it's usually the first to be replaced!

LRiddle
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!

Woods 59 belly mower

54A blade

1956 Gravely L

Dozer blade

Tiller

Rotary Plow

Postby LRiddle » Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:57 am

Thanks Smokey, I may have to take you up on that if I cant get the charging system right. The generator is working properly but still no charge. I've got a few more things to check on it yet, though.

This happens when the radiator is over filled and provided there are no other leaks. There needs to be expansion room so only fill to slightly below the plate under the cap.

I hope that's the case, but after a few trips around the yard with the kids there was also a bit of steam rolling off her, too. But that could just be the over flow steaming up off the radiator. I plan on doing a system flush anyways because it probably hasn't been done in awhile. I'm thinking it's something easy since there aren't any moving parts in the system.
Luke Riddle
Tallmadge, Ohio
1951 Cub - Chesty

Circle of Safety

staninlowerAL
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1)'52, (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (1)'72 154 Number Series Loboy, '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '53 MM BG (offset), (2) '49 Avery V's, '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76 Yanmar 1500, Sears Surburban's, MTD's, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:39 am

:Dito: on the water level in the radiator. A quick search of "block flush" shows a lot of posts on how to flush the block and lower bolster which you will have to do to get a good job. Stan

Trent M
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 62859

Postby Trent M » Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:41 pm

The short-eared dash (introduced mid-1949) and 3-position light switch (introduced in July 1950) are both correct for 1951. From the pictures it looks like you have the short-lever starter switch which came in March 1951. Also, it looks like you have the set screw style steering knuckles. Those switched to keyed-and-clamped in September 1951. So, if those parts are original, it was built sometime between March-September 1951. If you would like to get a closer estimate of tractor serial number, look at the engine serial number, probably around 131,xxx to 141,xxx if original. Also the block part number went from 251341R2 to R3 to R4 in that short time period.
Trent McPeak

LRiddle
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!

Woods 59 belly mower

54A blade

1956 Gravely L

Dozer blade

Tiller

Rotary Plow

Postby LRiddle » Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:45 pm

Good info. Thank you. I haven't taken the time yet to locate and research all the numbers, but I plan on it soon. Thanks for narrowing it down for me.
Luke Riddle
Tallmadge, Ohio
1951 Cub - Chesty

Circle of Safety

Trent M
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 62859

Postby Trent M » Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:53 pm

You're welcome. The engine serial number is stamped on a flat-bossed area right behind the carb. Here is a pic from TM Tractor. Your's might be hard to see under that nice paint job though, unless you scrape it off. The block part number and casting code are right below the carb.

http://www.tmtractor.com/id/id_003.htm
Last edited by Trent M on Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trent McPeak

LRiddle
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!

Woods 59 belly mower

54A blade

1956 Gravely L

Dozer blade

Tiller

Rotary Plow

Postby LRiddle » Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:57 pm

Yeah, I got the engine number. That's all I have to go on since the tag on the frame is ruined. That's how I figured it was a 51. But I would like to compile all the numbers and codes to learn add much about it as I can.
Luke Riddle
Tallmadge, Ohio
1951 Cub - Chesty

Circle of Safety

Tarmacvic
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 27537

Postby Tarmacvic » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:53 pm

Hello, I am Tarmacvic, from the far north of NC. I brought home my second Farmall Cub home the other day. This one is a 1950 and it came with a bunch of implements and two seeders. I now need to figure out how they attach and if I have all the right bits. My first is a dedicated 1955 lawn mower with the muffler out the side and no hole in the hood... This is my second post which will hopefully allow for me to access the acrobat manuals before I ask for help.