This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Stuck valves

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Highwayman
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 12503

Stuck valves

Postby Highwayman » Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:15 pm

Anybody out there have any tricks to free up stuck exhaust valves? Got 3 of them stuck and would like to avoid removing head if at all possible. Thanks in advance

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Stuck valves

Postby Barnyard » Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:40 pm

Can you see the valve in the cylinder with the plug out? If you can, then spray it with PB Blaster and put a soft metal rod on the valve and lightly tap it down with a small hammer. Rotate the motor to move the valve up again. If it still sticks again you have to repeat the process. Spray, tap, rotate, spray, tap, rotate. You may have to do this for a while. It took me a couple of days soaking to get mine free. Do this with each valve and you should be okay.

It's going to be frustrating as all get out, but it will eventually work free.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:33 pm

In addition to Barnyard's suggestion, remove the valve cover, and spray the valves from that direction, too. I find they often restick, at a later time. I usually remove the valves, and clean the stem and valve guide opening, for a more permanent fix.
Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

Highwayman
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Highwayman » Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:49 pm

I got them. I removed spark plugs and could see them took awhile though Tomorrow I plan to check compression and see what it's got and if they're anywhere near close. Anyone know what I should expect for readings? Gotta be better than zero when I started lol

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:57 pm

Highwayman wrote:I plan to check compression and see what it's got and if they're anywhere near close. Anyone know what I should expect for readings?
If you get somewhere around 70 psi wet, you should be able to get the engine running.

Get the engine running. Add SeaFoam to the gas and engine oil. Work the tractor hard for quite some time, like all summer. Then conduct another compression test.

Prime the oil pump before starting the engine. Actually, I would prime the oil pump before conducting the compression tests.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:32 pm

Hi,
Welcome to the website. Here is a picture of where the hole is to prime the oil pump. Just remove the oil filter top, and it is easy to see, use a light if you need to.
I fill a clean oil can with motor oil, and pump it into the hole, you might need more than one filling of the oil can to fill the passages in the engine. :)
Attachments
Cub oil filter.jpg

Highwayman
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Highwayman » Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:50 am

Thanks for the picture they truly are worth a thousand words!!

Highwayman
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Highwayman » Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:30 pm

So I ran the compression tests and they ranged from about 75-90 so they are fairly even so I guess it should run pretty fair. Gotta get a tappet cover gasket and an oil filter so hopefully this week I'll get to drive it!!!

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:27 pm

Highwayman wrote:So I ran the compression tests and they ranged from about 75-90 so they are fairly even so I guess it should run pretty fair.

Those are good numbers to get started. Put a can of Seafoam in the gas and use the tractor as much as you can. Check those numbers after you run through that tank and see if they come up more.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Return to “Farmall Cub”