ROD BEARING TURNED AROUND

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
jarhead_70
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 57790
Tractors Owned: 1947 international cub

ROD BEARING TURNED AROUND

Postby jarhead_70 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:46 pm

Started the cub for first time after I put everything together, Ran for awhile it quit while I was adjusting
the timing by turning the magneto. turned the starter over a few times then it locked up not sure
why .drained the oil pulled the pan looked at the bearing and end caps everything looked ok. still could not
turn the engine over with the crank pulled the starter was able to turn it over by moving the starter drive.
thought maybe the dry gear in the starter stuck. looking at the rod bearing cylinders 1 and 3 had the indent
on rod bearing caps and rod on the same side 2 and 4 opposite of each other the letter stamped on the rod cap
was not on the same side as camshaft like the manual say it should be. also found a bearing cap bolt stripped
and nut holding it just by a couple od threads.if it ran for awhile Iam sure it would have fallen off and ruined the
engine. should I put all end caps back on with the indentation on the same side.
Thanks for any help Dave
Started to restore my grandfather,s 1947 cub sure looks like a lot of work but it will
be fun to redo something that,s been in the family.

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: ROD BEARING TURNED AROUND

Postby Gary Dotson » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:21 am

I'm not sure I understand the question, but if you're referring to the lock tang on the bearing shell, yes, they should be on the same side. The manual says to put the stamped number on the camshaft side, but the Cub is one of the few engines where it won't cause a problem. Inspect all your rod bolts & nuts and replace any that are in any way questionable.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: ROD BEARING TURNED AROUND

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:39 am

Gary Dotson wrote:. . . The manual says to put the stamped number on the camshaft side, but the Cub is one of the few engines where it won't cause a problem. . . .

But it IS important to put the caps with the number on the same side the rod is numbered and to put each cap on the original rod.