engine oil

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: engine oil

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:07 am

Scrivet wrote:
Eugene wrote:Speaking of hornets/wasps, being a very warm winter and decent spring weather, I have some flying around the acreage shop. Haven't found their nests yet. Have wasp and hornet spray on the shop bench.
Why not spray them with oil? We can discuss which would oil is better! :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'd prefer gasoline to oil for that use. Just be sure to use low-lead avgas, no ethanol. 8)

Scrivet
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:07 pm

Jim Becker wrote:
Scrivet wrote:
Eugene wrote:Speaking of hornets/wasps, being a very warm winter and decent spring weather, I have some flying around the acreage shop. Haven't found their nests yet. Have wasp and hornet spray on the shop bench.
Why not spray them with oil? We can discuss which would oil is better! :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'd prefer gasoline to oil for that use. Just be sure to use low-lead avgas, no ethanol. 8)
Yeah we wouldn't want to give them lead poisoning or intoxicate them before their demise. Kind of like using an alcohol pad when inserting the IV for a lethal injection.

Puffie40
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
1939 Farmall H
1959 MF 202
1965 MF 180
1937 Caterpillar 22
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Puffie40 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:18 am

Eugene wrote:One thing I have noticed is that kerosene and sludge removed from the parts washer ignites much easier than the waste engine oil and gear lube when starting brush pile fires.

That's because the lower viscosity petroleum vaporises faster to burn. My dad has been researching waste oil for fuel and heat, and the common setup requires the oil be fairly warm so the stuff vaporises properly.