This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Clutch problem

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Festus
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 42355
Tractors Owned: 1953 Cub
1953 Super C
1953 Super H
1953 Super M
1956 100
1964 140
1972 JD 4020

Clutch problem

Postby Festus » Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:02 am

I just happened to notice last night that the clutch pedal on my cub did not work freely. I had to push hard to disengage it and then had to pull it back up by hand to engage. The tractor is not in running condition right now, I just noticed the problem by chance. The clutch worked fine when I pulled the tractor into the shop a couple weeks ago. I have removed and reinsatlled the front end in order to clean well and reseal the engine, steering gear etc. I also removed and reinstalled the touch control unit and pump for the same reason. I supported the tractor with a jack under the bellhousing while the front end was off. Does anyone have any idea what might be going on? I don't want to do any more reassembly at this point in case I need to split the tractor. I was told by the previous owner that the clutch did not have many hours on it. The tractor sat for two or more years before I bought it, but I have used it several hours after getting it running. Thanks, Festus
"When you read the readin', how do you know the feller who wrote the readin, wrote the readin' right?" - Festus from Gunsmoke

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:17 am

Does the pedal have any play at all in it befroe becoming stiff? If so the pivot for the throw out hanger may be binding. If not it is probably the shaft form the pedal where it goes throught th rear of the torque tube. Is there any possibility you mayve have put enough force on the floor pan (for driver's feet) to have bent it either up or down. that can cause the shaft to bind. Might also try some thin or penetrating oil on the shaft where it goes through the tube.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Festus
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 42355
Tractors Owned: 1953 Cub
1953 Super C
1953 Super H
1953 Super M
1956 100
1964 140
1972 JD 4020

Postby Festus » Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:33 am

The pedal is tight all the way - no free travel. I don't know how I could have put any stress at all on the floor pan. I placed the jack under the torque tube in front of the inspection hole for clutch and raised the tractor just enough to roll the front away.

Thanks,
Festus
"When you read the readin', how do you know the feller who wrote the readin, wrote the readin' right?" - Festus from Gunsmoke

Return to “Farmall Cub”