fixing danco C3 deck flexing

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
ad356
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 14113

fixing danco C3 deck flexing

Postby ad356 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:07 pm

i have not been on here for a while, truthfully there really hasnt been a whole lot of need for me to be on here........ that little cub is about one of the most reliable pieces of equipment i have ever owned, i just change the oil and she goes and goes. anways i have noticed my C3 has developed some small cracks. i know these mowers are notorious for cracks so i am addressing this now before i even mow the lawn. i do not have a welder, and my wife just lost her job so any big tool purchases are going to have to wait. as a said the cracks are small. i drilled a small hole at the end of the crack and filled the hole in with peramtex "steel weld" its kind of like jb weld. i bolted angle iron to the front and rear of the mower in an attempt to stop this thing from flexing. i think it made an improvement but it still has some flex. not sure what else i can do. in today's crappy economy, high cost of living, and poor job market i try to make my stuff last forever, literally. the mower really is not in terrible shape, some pitting (dont think the previous owners really took that great of care of it) but no holes and still solid. i have owned it 3 years and cleaned the rust up and repainted the first year i owned it. the rust hasnt really come back i try to take care of this thing like its made out of gold. if ever had to source a replacement mower i would probably go with a brand new woods, provided they still make them. they are not cheap but you get what you pay for, i would rather not have to go down that road as long as i still have this mower. is there a way to completely eliminate flex? another thing i realize now is that i bolted the angle iron to the mower and i hope that does not cause new cracks. no money for a welder.

ad356
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 14113

Re: fixing danco C3 deck flexing

Postby ad356 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:33 am

does anyone know what else i can do to keep this thing from flexing?

Rob in NH
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 03848
eBay ID: panelbeata
Tractors Owned: 1947 circle cub
1950 cub demonstrator
1957 cub
1967 cub
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Rob in NH » Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:19 am

angle iron along the front edge worked for me. I had long cracks on mine, now its solid without any flexing.

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:03 am

Do you have a local vocational high school? Their welding class may take it on, as a project, at littler or no cost to you. Worth exploring that option.

Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

Clip
Cub Star!
Cub Star!
Zip Code: 28479

Postby Clip » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:52 am

If it's like my Pennington 600, the angle caused by the lift chains on the two pick points of the mower deck cause it to flex some when in the up position for transport. I've thought about making a spreader bar out of some pipe or angle so it picks with just a vertical load.