What compression is within spec on a Farmall Cub?

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
mike758
Zip Code: 19342

What compression is within spec on a Farmall Cub?

Postby mike758 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:15 pm

I have a 1953 Cub which I recently got, and it runs and drives pretty well. However, when it is warm, it burns oil, and there is oil on the plugs which shows it. On the original plugs, there were spacers on the plugs which are to my understanding to prevent oil fouling. Anyway, I performed a compression test with the engine warm and all the plugs out. The results were pretty even, being 80, 70, 70, 70. However, I can't find any reference ANYWHERE, telling what the "ok" compression range is.

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32536
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: What compression is within spec on a Farmall Cub?

Postby RaymondDurban » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:10 pm

Fresh engine from a rebuild should have 120-130 psi. Decent engine will have 90-100 psi. When you start getting down in the 70's, you start burning oil and having a hard time starting.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: What compression is within spec on a Farmall Cub?

Postby Eugene » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:05 pm

I used my Cub for about 1 year with 70 psi compression, until I got around to overhauling the engine. Worked OK, mowed and plowed the garden.

You might try some Seafoam in the engine oil and gasoline. This might free up any stuck piston rings, MIGHT.

Edit: Agree with Stan's figures,
I have an excuse. CRS.