This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Next step suggestions?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
RandyM
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 14525
Tractors Owned: 1957 Farmall 230
1954 Farmall Cub
1946 IH T-6 Crawler w/ Bull Grader blade
1957 Farmall 450

Next step suggestions?

Postby RandyM » Sun May 01, 2016 6:22 pm

Back in September, I posted that my cub was running 95/90/91/100 for compression with a build up of carbon on the Autolite 386s that were in it. It had been given a dose of Seafom at the time. I mowed through the fall with a 1-pt flail mower. It seemed to run well, no smoke, good power. It sat covered inside the barn through winter. This spring it has a lot of blow by, some blue rich-smelling smoke from the exhaust, and it has a lack of power.

Today I had it running for 1/2 hr or so before moving it to where I would to work on it. A couple of hours later I did compression tests: (1) with the plugs in readings were 95/80/98/91. I gave #2 cylinder a couple of shots of oil and retested it to get 91#. (2) pulled all the plugs out to and restested to get 100/98/104/98. Then, just to see what I would find, I did the air test that Ricky Racer described in a post from March 2009. All cylinders were set to TDC of compression stroke. Air pressure was at 12-15 psi. We were able to hear air in the crankcase.

Also found the points gap was at 0.012 so it was reset to 0.020. Pulled the carb off and took it apart. All passages were open, no gunk inside (it had been rebuilt with a TSC kit just about a year ago). Float was checked and set to 1-13/32". Air vent tube from crankcase was clear but I did clean and reinstall it.

I have been running Seafoam in the oil and gas but not yet working it hard. I can see some carbon in the top of the cylinders with the plugs out. The plugs were black. I was using Rotella 15w40. When I drained it today after maybe 10-hours of run time, it was black, thin, and did not have any of the fresh oil color.

My question: for the lack of power does it sound like rings, or is it more the points gap and carb adjustment? I'm trying to determine if I'm going to get into this engine .

Thanks
Randy

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Next step suggestions?

Postby tst » Sun May 01, 2016 6:35 pm

DID YOU CHECK TIMING?

RandyM
5+ Years
5+ Years
1954 Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall 450

Postby RandyM » Sun May 01, 2016 7:02 pm

Not really. #1 was at TDC when I had the distributor cap off to check the points. They were full open at that point.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Sun May 01, 2016 8:13 pm

RandyM wrote:Not really. #1 was at TDC when I had the distributor cap off to check the points. They were full open at that point.
Points should have just opened. Ignition timing is off.

Static time the engine or use a timing light to retime the engine.
I have an excuse. CRS.

RandyM
5+ Years
5+ Years
1954 Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall 450

Postby RandyM » Wed May 04, 2016 5:13 am

Thanks tst and Eugene for the responses. I took some time yesterday and put things back together. Although I was not certain about static timing, I did get it to run then while running at high idle, rotated the distributor to find the smoothest running location and tightened it down. I had a lot of exhaust smoke, blue-gray color while rotating the distributor. Then off I went to test drive it.

I have a fairly steep hill that I went up and down a couple of times in 2nd gear. It didn't seem to bog down as it had earlier so I thought I had things resolved. That's when I ran out of gas (only put a little in to test it). Now I can't get it to fire again. Battery was low, so it's charging before I get back into it.

Return to “Farmall Cub”