This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

clutch safety lesson today

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
brewzalot
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 53105
Tractors Owned: '57 cub Loboy
'61 cub
Circle of Safety: Y

clutch safety lesson today

Postby brewzalot » Sun May 01, 2016 9:39 pm

This may belong in the safety forum, but thought I would post here where there is more activity. Please move as you see fit.

Today while using my Cub to pull out a few things from the barn, I was sitting still for just a moment in second gear, 1/2 throttle. I was waiting for my wife to get the barn door all the way open, when I heard a pop from underneath the tractor. It immediately took off and went about 8-10 feet before I pulled it out of gear and got it stopped. (Luckily I was back a ways from her and the barn) Although I wouldn't say I panicked, I was surprised how long it took me to decide what to do- pull the shift lever, hit the brakes hard, hit the ignition switch all ran through my mind. I pumped the pedal a few times as well. I was outside in a open area but started thinking about what would have or could have happened in a confined space in the same situation.

Turns out I lost a cotter pin on one of the clutch finger clevis pins, the pin came out making the clutch inoperable. I found the cotter pin, both legs were intact but bent in the same direction only about 30 degrees. Although hard for me to believe , I must not have bent that one over like the other 2, they look fine. I've been running the tractor for quite a while now before this happened today.

Just thought I would share this for those who have not thought about it, and remind those who have, that you can lose a clutch at any time. My best advice- picture this happening to you, have a plan, and don't let anyone get directly in front or back of the tractor while in gear.

Stay safe,
tim

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

LRiddle
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 44278
Tractors Owned: .
1951 Farmall Cub - Chesty

Woods 59 belly mower

54A blade

1956 Gravely L

Dozer blade

Tiller

Rotary Plow

Re: clutch safety lesson today

Postby LRiddle » Sun May 01, 2016 11:32 pm

Good advice. Thank you.
Luke Riddle
Tallmadge, Ohio
1951 Cub - Chesty

"You can't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln

Circle of Safety

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Mon May 02, 2016 4:24 am

Thanks for sharing.
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

Urbish
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48158
Tractors Owned: ~
1958 International Cub LoBoy
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B
2022 Massey Ferguson GC1723E Subcompact

Cub Loboy L-54 Leveling and Grader Blade

Postby Urbish » Mon May 02, 2016 4:25 am

Good lesson. I always put the tractor in neutral when others are working in close proximity.
Jim

Circle of Safety

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Mon May 02, 2016 6:37 am

Thank you for the advice. Glad no one was hurt or anything was damaged.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514

Postby tst » Mon May 02, 2016 7:29 am

glad no one was hurt, just curious was it and old pressure plate or a new one?

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Mon May 02, 2016 8:05 am

I purchased a non-runner (not IH) and a when it came time to try the clutch, the tractor would not go into any gear with the engine running. It shifted OK into any gear as long as the engine was not running. When I split the the tractor to find the cause, I found one clutch release lever assembly completely missing. Yours is the second one I've heard of to have similar problems. Not very common but "anything mechanical can fail, at some point in time". Glad no one was injured. Stan
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

goldencub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01770

Postby goldencub » Mon May 02, 2016 8:42 am

It's good nobody got hurt and nothing seriously broken. I had one of those cotter pins come out while I was in gear and moving forward. When I pushed the clutch out to stop (because there was a big tree in the way!), nothing happened and it kept on going. I stood on the brakes and (of course) nothing happened. Finally I yanked the shift into neutral and it stopped about a foot from that tree. It's funny about how one's train of thought goes in situations like that. Al D
Maud - 1947 Cub #4364
Everything's better with Golden Retrievers, an old Ford V8 and a Cub!

brewzalot
5+ Years
5+ Years
'61 cub

Postby brewzalot » Mon May 02, 2016 7:00 pm

tst wrote:just curious was it and old pressure plate or a new one?

Old pressure plate, just new cotter pins. No one to blame but me, I had it totally apart on the bench and put it back together myself.

Thanks for the responses

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Mon May 02, 2016 8:05 pm

brewzalot wrote:This may belong in the safety forum, but thought I would post here where there is more activity. Please move as you see fit.

Today while using my Cub to pull out a few things from the barn, I was sitting still for just a moment in second gear, 1/2 throttle. I was waiting for my wife to get the barn door all the way open, when I heard a pop from underneath the tractor. It immediately took off and went about 8-10 feet before I pulled it out of gear and got it stopped. (Luckily I was back a ways from her and the barn) Although I wouldn't say I panicked, I was surprised how long it took me to decide what to do- pull the shift lever, hit the brakes hard, hit the ignition switch all ran through my mind. I pumped the pedal a few times as well. I was outside in a open area but started thinking about what would have or could have happened in a confined space in the same situation.

Turns out I lost a cotter pin on one of the clutch finger clevis pins, the pin came out making the clutch inoperable. I found the cotter pin, both legs were intact but bent in the same direction only about 30 degrees. Although hard for me to believe , I must not have bent that one over like the other 2, they look fine. I've been running the tractor for quite a while now before this happened today.

Just thought I would share this for those who have not thought about it, and remind those who have, that you can lose a clutch at any time. My best advice- picture this happening to you, have a plan, and don't let anyone get directly in front or back of the tractor while in gear.

Stay safe,
tim

I have gotten where when I need to pause--for someone to open a gate, talk to me, whatever--I take the tractor out of gear. My fear was that my foot might slip off the clutch while someone was close. Your situation is another good reason to shift in neutral!

On a more humorous note, I saw my dad take out a fence with a MF 300 combine once. He was backing up to pick the turn rows and the clevis pin on the clutch linkage fell out. He said it took him a few minutes to figure out that he needed to pull the fuel shutoff! When things go wrong it can really mess with your judgement.......

Glad everyone is ok!
Al

Al..........
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

Rob in NH
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 03848
eBay ID: panelbeata
Tractors Owned: 1947 circle cub
1950 cub demonstrator
1957 cub
1967 cub

Postby Rob in NH » Mon May 02, 2016 8:48 pm

just checked mine, 2 cubs needed a cotter pin replacement. thanks

brewzalot
5+ Years
5+ Years
'61 cub

Postby brewzalot » Mon May 02, 2016 10:24 pm

Rob in NH wrote:just checked mine, 2 cubs needed a cotter pin replacement

Now that's being proactive Rob, good thinking. I will be checking mine at least every time I grease the bearing from now on.

Return to “Farmall Cub”