This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cub dies after 5 minutes

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Bill Mureiko
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 75144

Cub dies after 5 minutes

Postby Bill Mureiko » Wed May 04, 2016 1:51 pm

This is a follow up to an older question, but I thought I would start a new thread. Here's the deal. It's a 1949 Cub, converted to 12v. It had that common problem of dying after 20 minutes, every time. After advice from this forum, I put a new coil on. Now it dies after 5 minutes, every time.

I have checked the spark--seems to be a good blue spark.
I have checked the gas getting to the carburetor, and that seems to be fine.
The coil is not hot when it shuts down.
It runs like a champ and then just quits like you turn the ignition off. Starts like a champ, every time.

So it has the new coil on, and when we replaced it, instead of running for 20 minutes, it runs for about 5 minutes, every time.

Help! What next?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Cub dies after 5 minutes

Postby Eugene » Wed May 04, 2016 2:26 pm

5 minutes, sounds like a low fuel flow problem.

After the tractor dies, and waiting for 2 or 3 minutes, will the tractor start? If so, suspect low fuel flow.

Check the fuel flow through the carburetor. Remove the hex nut on the side of the IH carburetor and let fuel drain out for perhaps 30 seconds to one minute. You will need a container to catch the fuel.
I have an excuse. CRS.

havoc1482
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01085
eBay ID: havoc1482
Tractors Owned: _______ 1948 Farmall Super A
Twitter ID: @havoc1482

Postby havoc1482 » Wed May 04, 2016 4:04 pm

Agree with Eugene. 5 minutes of run time sounds like you're just using up what is inside the float bowl. Another test you could try is after the tractor dies, immediately remove the vacuum plug on the manifold above the carburetor and shoot some starting fluid in there, screw it back in, and see if it will pop.
Mike

I bleed Black & Gold

IH Collectors Club New England (Chapter 18)

Western Mass. (The 413)

tinnerjohn
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44491
Tractors Owned: 52 Cub, 42 Farmall H 49 Ford 8N (FIL's tractor) and a yard full of implements for them 51 Chevy 3100 PU

Postby tinnerjohn » Wed May 04, 2016 7:13 pm

I've had similar problems with my H and 8N. Both were caused by foreign material in the inlet side of the sediment bowl assembly acting as a check valve, shutting the fuel off when the bowl filled, the bowl would empty, engine died and the bowl would refill by the time I climbed off to start looking for the problem. John

brewzalot
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 53105
Tractors Owned: '57 cub Loboy
'61 cub

Postby brewzalot » Wed May 04, 2016 9:29 pm

Bill Mureiko wrote: It had that common problem of dying after 20 minutes, every time. After advice from this forum, I put a new coil on. Now it dies after 5 minutes, every time.

If changing the coil made the run time change I would lean toward something electrical still wrong. If it was fuel it would have stayed the same.

My tractor only runs about a minute after shutting off the fuel at my pony tank, and when it dies from fuel starvation you can hear it sputter just a little right before it quits. At least mine does.

Crimson Tim
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 32736
Tractors Owned: The crew:
"John", 1952 Cub
"Paul", 1951 Cub
"George", 1958 LoBoy Cub with Wagner 45 Loader
"Ringo", 1977 Cub

So far, Paul and Ringo have arrived. John and George were supposed to follow ages ago, but apparently have gone awol. Long story.

Postby Crimson Tim » Wed May 04, 2016 10:16 pm

The last time I forgot to open the fuel shut off, it had been running 3-5 minutes, then clicked off so abruptly I thought it had to be electrical, too. My fuel valve leaks a bit, so had just a bit of fuel in the bowl again after a pause between starting attempts. Successive tries would start right up, but die as soon as i let go of the starter switch. I too thought it would stumble to a halt if running out of fuel, especially since the inline fuel filter was still full of fuel. Nope. Just the vacuum from the closed valve farther upstream wouldn't let any of it get to the carb.
I chased the wiring around a good 10 minutes before the dope slap. :roll:

I had thought I was having a recurrence of when the starter switch failed on the beater car I took to college, such that "run" was suddenly between detents on the starter switch. Balancing the key against the detent spring to keep the engine running was a bit of a trick once I figured out what happened. I fixed that one pretty quickly. Didn't need the engine shutting off every time I hit a pothole.

Anyway back to the subject at hand, seems like fuel is easiest to check, along with the possibility of installing a bad off-the-shelf part, which seems to happen quite a lot with ignition components these days. :evil:

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Thu May 05, 2016 3:08 am

Check to see if there is a screen in the inlet of the carb where the fuel line attaches. You will probably have to remove the carb to be able to see it. Yours might still be there although a lot of them have been removed over the years.
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

Zorro
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 01821
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub
1968 Case 155
Scotts 1542
Cordwood Saw
CC 125
CC 102
CC 129/1200

Postby Zorro » Thu May 05, 2016 9:39 pm

I know it sounds obvious, but did you look at the fuel inlet inside the tank? Mine was acting similarly, and it was caused by junk in the tank.
Hold her Knute, she's headin' for the buckwheat!

Return to “Farmall Cub”