This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Hydraulic Manifold/Lines O-rings

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 35630
Circle of Safety: Y

Hydraulic Manifold/Lines O-rings

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Fri May 06, 2016 10:07 am

I ordered some o-rings for the TC manifold lines from McMaster-Carr and got the correct size (spec #115) in a Buna-N material. They only come in black for that size and not in blue like the ones I've seen offered in several places. I just wanted to see if that mattered. The only blue o-rings in that size are "metal detector grade" ($18 each) or "Mil-Spec" ($7.50 /5 pack). Otherwise, the standard Buna-N o-rings in black are $3.23 /100 pack. Just wanted to make sure I didn't miss something or get the wrong thing since they aren't blue.

The part number/size information came from a post by Don McCombs on page1 of this thread......http://www.farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=170&t=86546&p=689818&hilit=mcmaster+manifold#p689818
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

:tractor: Follow my page "Alabama Tractor Pickers" on YouTube & Facebook! :tractor:

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Re: Hydraulic Manifold/Lines O-rings

Postby Matt Kirsch » Fri May 06, 2016 10:21 am

For the price of even the Mil Spec ones you may as well get the genuine ones from the dealer!

Only concern I'd have is that IH o-rings tend to be slightly "off" compared to standard o-rings, so that standard o-rings may be close but not quite, and you get leaks. That's mostly on newer equipment, though.

The parts book does say -115 so in this case it does appear to be a standard o-ring. Looks like you'll be just fine with what you ordered.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Fri May 06, 2016 10:29 am

I have an excuse. CRS.

AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Fri May 06, 2016 2:00 pm

Not sure what you meant by that link Eugene but I don't need an o-ring kit, as I have ordered several different o-rings found on the tractor in larger quantities for probably cheaper than the variety kit. I'm just wondering why the ones IH uses are blue. It looks from my little bit of research that the color designates the "grade" or "spec" of the o-ring. Maybe the ones IH uses/offers are the "Mil-spec" o-rings. I just thought by reading the posts on here and hearing from different folks that the Buna-N o-rings are the type that is needed in that application.
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

:tractor: Follow my page "Alabama Tractor Pickers" on YouTube & Facebook! :tractor:

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Fri May 06, 2016 4:19 pm

I have an o-ring kit. Thinking it is the one currently listed for $38.??. Can only recall one time that a needed O-ring wasn't in the kit.

The O-ring I needed was available at the local New Holland dealership for 57 cents.

Suggest, if needing O-rings, try your nearest tractor dealership. Save postage and handling charged by on line firms. The New Holland dealership, closest to house, has a cabinet of drawers full of o-rings. The cabinet is about 5 foot tall and perhaps 3 feet wide.

If I have an IH part number, the part can be obtained from New Holland.
I have an excuse. CRS.

AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Fri May 06, 2016 4:27 pm

Question, can the New Holland Dealer (Kubota now but used to be New Holland) get IH Parts?.....I mean, since it is "Case-New Holland-Fiat"

Just curious since our IH dealer is around 2 hours away. never thought about that.
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Fri May 06, 2016 4:34 pm

75 cents each, from TM.
Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Fri May 06, 2016 4:47 pm

AL Farmall Boy wrote:Question, can the New Holland Dealer (Kubota now but used to be New Holland) get IH Parts?.....I mean, since it is "Case-New Holland-Fiat" ?
Case, New Holland, and IH are one company, set up about 2 years ago. Fiat is the major owner but CNHI is a separate company.

Been in the local New Holland dealership and observed IH labeled parts being handed over the counter to other customers.

I own stock in CNHI. It pays a dividend and the stock is currently depressed along with John Deere, Caterpillar, and other heavy manufacturing industries.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Fri May 06, 2016 8:49 pm

Black is fine.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Fri May 06, 2016 9:45 pm

Buna-N is fine.
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

Gerry Powell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 78736
Tractors Owned: two 1948 Cubs
1951 Super A
Kubota L2350

Postby Gerry Powell » Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:28 pm

Black or blue?
I've bought several o rings from CaseIH this year for the manifold tubes to the pump and they're always black Buna-N. So I assume the blue ones being sold are not genuine CaseIH parts but aftermarket ones and from what I can tell they're made of fluorosilicone. For use in hydraulic systems, Buna-N has the highest rating and fluorosilicone is two grades below Buna-N, but the blue ones are being advertised as exceeding IH specifications. For the most important feature, which is for use in hydraulics, I would say they might fall short of IH specifications.
I recently came across a pump that used the blue o rings and there was much blue residue left when the o rings were removed. It's like the hydraulic fluid was dissolving the fluorosilicone.
Does anyone know for sure, are the blue ones being sold for this application Buna-N or fluoroslicone?

Return to “Farmall Cub”