This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Fan Hub Leaking Oil

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Sailor
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 42261
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
Ser.# 16812
1938 Farmall F-14
Ser# 131806
Circle of Safety: Y

Fan Hub Leaking Oil

Postby Sailor » Tue May 17, 2016 2:42 am

After installing the fan assembly I got my oil can and started to fill the hub. After several squirts, I noticed that the oil I was putting in was leaking out the back of the hub, along the shaft. Thinking I had just overfilled the hub, I rotated it so the fill hole was on the bottom to drain the excess oil and more came out.

In my rebuild, I'm sure I got the gasket on correctly but I can't remember if there was an "O" ring for the shaft. Is it normal for excess oil to work itself out the back or did I forget a seal/gasket somewhere?

Larry
1948 Cub
Cub-22 Mower
Cub-54 Leveling & Grading Blade
Cub-144 Cultivator
Cub-189 Moldboard Plow (direct-Connected, One Bottom, Two-way)
Woods 59 Mower

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Re: Fan Hub Leaking Oil

Postby Jim Becker » Tue May 17, 2016 9:37 am

Nothing wrong, you overfilled it. There is no seal at the shaft.

Sailor
5+ Years
5+ Years
Ser.# 16812
1938 Farmall F-14
Ser# 131806

Postby Sailor » Tue May 17, 2016 12:00 pm

Thanks Jim. There is nothing worse than doing a job twice.
1948 Cub
Cub-22 Mower
Cub-144 Cultivator
Woods 59 Mower

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue May 17, 2016 1:22 pm

Instructions are to turn with screw on the right side, fill with oil, then turn with fill screw opening down and let drain. There is a standpipe inside that keeps the oil from draining out to much.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Sailor
5+ Years
5+ Years
Ser.# 16812
1938 Farmall F-14
Ser# 131806

Postby Sailor » Tue May 17, 2016 6:26 pm

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:Instructions are to turn with screw on the right side, fill with oil, then turn with fill screw opening down and let drain. There is a standpipe inside that keeps the oil from draining out to much.

I did that and after every squirt I would pause and see if it was dripping. When it didn't drip, I hit it again with another squirt. Next thing I noticed was oil running out the back of the housing.

When I rotated the hub so that the hole was pointing toward the deck, lots of oil came out. When it quit dripping, I put the screw back in.

I was not going to mount the radiator until I got this issue solved so tomorrow it goes on... progress, no matter how small.:D

Again, thanks for everybody's help.

Larry
1948 Cub
Cub-22 Mower
Cub-144 Cultivator
Woods 59 Mower

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed May 18, 2016 11:20 am

If you still have the radiator off, I would take the fan hub apart and make sure the stand pipe has not broken off. As an alternative, fill it till it leaks out the shaft, then turn it so the screw hole is just below the bottom of the shaft and let it drain to that level. The reason for the standpipe and filling procedures that when the engine starts centrifugal force hold the oil against the sides of the hub and away from the shaft, and the standpipe and procedure make sure the oil is below the shaft when stopped.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Return to “Farmall Cub”