Cub has hard time starting.

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Plowboy48
Zip Code: 72576

Cub has hard time starting.

Postby Plowboy48 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:31 am

I got a question I'm to point bout to pull my hair out. My cub took starting spell then thought had it fixed. Been starting good now back to the same thing crank crank till bout run battery down. I cleaned the carb got full just pours out but once it starts it run great then run it for awhile charge battery. Then when I shut it off its same thing. I can take the tube off to carb got suction and with carb off put my hand on manifold crank sucks on my hand good so to point pull my hair so yall cub mechanic let me know.

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Cub has hard time starting.

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:18 pm

Have you checked the timing, and the condition of the points? If you have good vacuum at the carb, the compression is probably ok. Thorough electrical check up, including points, plugs, spark quality, plug wires, etc. will probably cure it.
Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:17 pm

Agree with Ed. Ignition tune up.

Flooding carburetor. Carburetor probably only needs a good cleaning. Check the needle valve and seat for debris.
I have an excuse. CRS.

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)

Postby bob in CT » Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:55 pm

Most carburetor problems are electrical. :wink: Fuel dripping out after a lot of cranking is normal. What goes up must come down.

Plowboy48

Postby Plowboy48 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:25 pm

No I was thinking mite be best to put new points and condinsor in it but once you finally get it to fire she fire and run good. Took the plug out one at a time and turn over had good suction. Battery was dead so no juice to get a spark and couldn't with hand crank and it's a distributor. I didn't know if it was condenser or points. Went thru the carb everything clean and all the holes.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:28 pm

Timing light to check the point where ignition fires.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Glen
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:57 pm

Hi,
The points need to be in really good condition so a Cub will start good. Old dirty and burned points can make it start bad, or hard. The spark plugs and ignition wires need to be good too.
The condenser has to be good, and the distributor cap and rotor should not be old or have burned contacts.
If the points look burned, I remove them, and either replace them, or hold one point at a time in your hand on a solid metal surface, like a vise, and file the point surface flat with a large file. The surface of the points is hard metal, so might be hard filing. Wipe the filings off with a clean rag when done filing. The surface should be flat and shiny.
Like Eugene said, the timing is important too, use a timing light and see if the timing is right. Charge up the battery fully with a small battery charger, slow charging is better, at small amps.
It can take several hours with a 6 amp charger, if the battery is low.
It takes a really short screwdriver and a 11/32, I think, open end wrench to change the points.
I sit down next to the Cub, with a lawn chair or something, is easier, so I can reach the Battery Ignition Unit. Use a light to see it if needed.
The coil could be weak, especially if it's an old original coil, common for them to be weak and need replacing, but it could still be good too.
There is a pic of an original coil in the page below.
Fix the points and check the timing first, and see if it works better.
Here is a page from the Cub owner's manual showing the points and condenser. :)

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... age-32.jpg

Plowboy48

Postby Plowboy48 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:23 pm

Thanks for advise see the tractor was overhaul this winter and when my mag went out I put the distributor on never put new parts in and it's been starting great took a spell like this but it was water. Now just take forever coil seems good cause it's not hot. Like when it's burn up but my question is how would it have gotten out of time and if points and condinsor going back how does it allow it finally start. BTW it has new plugs and spark plug wires.

Plowboy48

Postby Plowboy48 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:18 am

Charge battery pulled spark plugs crank over no spark now.

Glen
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:01 am

Hi,
Sounds like it could be one or more things wrong. Points need cleaning or replacing, condenser may have quit, or the coil has quit. Start with the points and condenser, like I explained above, they have to be good for it to run.
Also check the power wire from the switch to the coil, and see if it has 6 volts at the coil.
Check the short wire from the coil to the terminal on the side of the Battery Ignition Unit, that it is not broken.
If you had the timing set right with a timing light, it probably would not have changed by itself, but hard to say for sure, I'm not there to see it. :)

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:45 am

Plowboy48 wrote:Charge battery pulled spark plugs crank over no spark now.
Remove distributor cap, rotor and points cover. Block the ignition points open with non electrically conducive material; paper, clean shop towel, etc.. Ignition on, battery charged, check for battery voltage at ignition points or terminal on side of distributor. Also visually inspect points for obvious fault(s).

If you have battery voltage at/in the distributor the problem will be inside the distributor. No battery voltage, start tracing back from the distributor until you find voltage. The problem will be at/in the previous wire, connection, appliance, checked.

Diagnose the problem before throwing parts at the tractor. No spark situations are easily resolved once the problem is found.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Plowboy48

Postby Plowboy48 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:16 pm

Clean the points still nothing

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:35 pm

Diagnose the problem before trying to solve the problem.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:54 pm

Eugene wrote:Diagnose the problem before trying to solve the problem.
I read that you have a multi-meter.

Simply suggesting that you spend a few minutes figuring out where the source of the problem occurs. A couple of minutes with the multi-meter and you will locate the problem.

I don't know the source of your ignition problem. I have had ignition wires detach while mowing and the ignition switch go bad at a different time. Both times it took me longer to walk back to the shop for the multi-meter and back to the tractor than it took to solve the problem.
I have an excuse. CRS.