Got it split and done!

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
northpaw2
Zip Code: 49423
Tractors Owned: 1949 Ford 8n
1950 Farmall Cub
2012 John Deere D130

Got it split and done!

Postby northpaw2 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:00 pm

Split my 50 Cub today's was not as hard as I thought ( first timer). Old seal didn't fit tight, NAPA one, and PO must not have wanted to drop the oil pan so used RTV to seal it. I replaced the old oil seal with tst's modified one, the old oil oaked clutch disc with one from Hamilton Bob's and the T/O bearing with a graphite one from TM Tractor. Lever height was within a 1/16 inch so I didn't touch it. Thanks for all the help, next is the distributor. I love wrenching on the old iron!!!!
Last edited by northpaw2 on Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

WaMoo
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 99101
Tractors Owned: 1954 Farmall Cub
2013 NH Workmaster 40
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Got it split and done!

Postby WaMoo » Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:52 pm

I think I'm going to split mine this winter. I've never done it either, so I hope my experiences will go as good as yours.
WaMoo
Bluecreek, WA
"I had rather be on my farm than be emperor of the world."
~George Washington

coppersmythe
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 70785
Tractors Owned: '48 trimmed dash high crop cub , '78 3/4 cub , lo-boy/59 mower , '64 "galvanized" cub , cub-6 toolbar , sicklebar mowers , 54 blade , plow , mott mower , early belly mower . '57 higgins v-drive wooden boat/original graymarine 4 banger . international 1010 pickup with 345ci v-8 .
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby coppersmythe » Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:57 am

hello from the soggy deep south , great job , the first is always a little concerning , but it is a fairly easy job , you just cant rush it .read all you can here on how to do it , and above all , for anyone getting ready to split , PLEASE CHOCK THE FRONT AXLE as discussed here in MANY threads . safety first . again , great job diving in , and a good feeling repairing it yourself , coppersmythe............................................ :{_}: ( my only rough spot is that last inch or so when you are mating the torque tube to the engine , just slowly jiggle and wiggle the shaft at the pto and fine tune the up / down , left / right orientation of the tube to the engine )

northpaw2
Zip Code: 49423
Tractors Owned: 1949 Ford 8n
1950 Farmall Cub
2012 John Deere D130

Postby northpaw2 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:57 am

BOTH time we split it, we just had to jiggle the motor a little to get it together. I made a couple pins out of old bolts to help guide it together and used a big channel lok to squeeze it the rest of the way. Second time took us 15 minutes. :mrgreen: