This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Woods 42C-6 lift arm assembly...which one?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Clubless
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 27041
Tractors Owned: ---------
1948 Farmall Cub #56596
1950 Farmall Cub #101608
1950 Farmall Cub #106823
1955 Farmall Cub #188789

Woods 42C-6 lift arm assembly...which one?

Postby Clubless » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:21 pm

When I purchased my Cub last fall, it came with a 42C-6 Woods rotary mower. The mower was not attached when I picked up the tractor. I am getting ready to attach the mower in the next couple of weeks. I have studied the Woods 42C-6 manual and in doing so, I discovered that the lift arm assembly pieces are missing. I searched here and found a tread that provides measurements for the bottom lift arm, upper lift arm and the center lift arm. Armed with this information and the mounting frame assembly drawing (page #18) of the Woods manual (#29900), I was off to a recommended metal fabrication shop. He looked at the information and said he could make the pieces at a reasonable cost. I told him I could also provide him with a couple of pictures of the assembly that I had seen on eBay. This is where my question originates. I'm not sure if my deck should have 3 piece lift assembly or just 2 pieces as shown in the second picture.

The first picture shows 3 piece lift arm assembly as shown in the Woods manual for 42C-6, but the mower is not a 42C-6.

The second picture shows a 2 piece lift arm assembly, but it is mounted to a 42C-6 mower. I guess it's possible that the 2 piece unit is missing the upper lift arm (part #1441).

One other observation is the different angle of the front rock shaft of the 2 tractors. I guess it could be that the first picture was taken with the deck in the raised position and the second picture was taken with the deck in the lowered position.

The third and fourth pictures are of my mower deck and the last picture is mounting frame assembly drawing (page #18) of the Woods manual (#29900).

Let know what you guys think...Thanks, Gary
Attachments
Lift arm2.jpg
3 piece lift arm assembly
Lift arm.jpg
2 piece lift arm assembly
Repainted3.jpg
My 42C-6 mower
Repainted2.jpg
My 42C-6 mower
Page-13.jpg
mounting frame assembly drawing (page #18)

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Woods 42C-6 lift arm assembly...which one?

Postby Don McCombs » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:31 am

Don't assume that what you see on eBay is correct. Your first photo and the drawing are correct.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:49 am

Actually both pictures are wrong. Like Don says never go by what you see in random pictures. Picture 2 is somebody having no idea how the lift is supposed to operate or work or they don't have all the pieces and don't know or care. Don't even try something like that. Your picture #1 is a lot closer to correct. The only thing "wrong" with it is the top bar should have the kick to the outside away from the gas tank, not in towards it like in the picture. There are lots out there installed this way and there's enough slop to usually not cause any problems, but you asked about correct. :D Check out the PDF manuals above, OEM Implements and attachments, Woods mowers, click on the 42C-6, scroll to page 14 and see a very clear picture of it installed.

Crimson Tim
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 32736
Tractors Owned: The crew:
"John", 1952 Cub
"Paul", 1951 Cub
"George", 1958 LoBoy Cub with Wagner 45 Loader
"Ringo", 1977 Cub

So far, Paul and Ringo have arrived. John and George were supposed to follow ages ago, but apparently have gone awol. Long story.

Postby Crimson Tim » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:03 am

And the incorrect setup in the second picture causes problems because it doesn't allow the deck to float up over a hump, but is held rigidly at the set elevation. Unless you have an unusually flat lawn, you'll either tear up your lawn or bend/break these links.
At best, if the bolts are not tight and let the links pivot, it may allow the float as long as the links do not get too well aligned, but will limit the overall range of motion to approximately half what it should be.

The correct three link setup will buckle and fold up as necessary to allow the deck to ride up over a hump, while providing full range of motion.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:36 am

Reference the first photo. I have an earlier model Woods 42 mower. The longer, lower linkage arm, on my mower has 5 adjustment holes.

You can always add an additional hole or two if needed.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Clubless
5+ Years
5+ Years
1948 Farmall Cub #56596
1950 Farmall Cub #101608
1950 Farmall Cub #106823
1955 Farmall Cub #188789

Re: Woods 42C-6 lift arm assembly

Postby Clubless » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:13 pm

OK...got my Woods 42C-6 mower deck mounted for the first time today. I'd like you guys to look at the left arm assembly and let me know if it looks correctly installed.
TC lifted the deck and PTO stayed engaged while tractor was stationary, but still have some issues to work through before actually using it. TC unit fluid is leaking down and found another stripped out draw bar mount hole. I wish I would have the wherewithal to have checked for that while we had both finals off to replace brake bands and oil seals. Oh well, live and learn!

Gary
Attachments
Mower deck3.jpg

Clubless
5+ Years
5+ Years
1948 Farmall Cub #56596
1950 Farmall Cub #101608
1950 Farmall Cub #106823
1955 Farmall Cub #188789

Postby Clubless » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:17 am

Update on mower deck issues. Lift arm assembly works great. I replaced the TC control valve O-ring and that stopped the fluid leak. Got the 2 stripped mounting holes in the finals fixed with heli-coils and ordered drawbar 1" shouldered mounting bolts TM Tractor, so we are squared away on the mower unit. Actually mowed some tall weeds and grass to test things out. Worked fairly well. Feeling good about progress being made to get this tractor in good working order.

Love this site and all you guys who take your time to share your knowledge with us novices playing with our new toys! :thanx:

Gary
Pilot Mtn. NC

Return to “Farmall Cub”