pull behind brush hog

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: pull behind brush hog

Postby Eugene » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:34 pm

One problem with word is visualizing the property and that I know nothing about the area.

Dozer or large machine with blade. Neighbor was having ponds cleaned out. Talked to the construction company owner and had him clear off about 1 1/2 acres of trees and heavy brush before he left the area.

Worked out a deal with another neighbor. Pasture his cattle at no cost. Help build and maintain the fence. Later neighbor rented a high lift for a month to take free gravel from a stream which I own 1/2 the gravel and to do construction work. Had him use the high lift to dig out a year round spring to water his cattle and to build a road to the top of the hill.

Just suggesting, perhaps be in no big rush to clear the property. See if there are inexpensive or no cost alternatives.

Check with your local, state conservation boards and university extension office. See what programs, advise, help, they have available and equipment.

Local implement dealership rents out farm and construction equipment. Rent for all day Friday and get the week end free.
I have an excuse. CRS.

outdoors4evr
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 48423
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:55 am

Might want to check newspapers or craigslist for hiring it done. There are a lot of brush hogging ads or garden tilling ads that may get the job done.
Once it is brush hogged down, mowing or tilling with the cub is a manageable job.

You also might consider killing the weeds with roundup and then come back in two weeks to mow it down.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:26 pm

Only problem with involving conservation boards is you become beholden to them. If you want their help you are forced to do exactly what they tell you to do with your property, nothing more and nothing less, always and forever.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:32 pm

Matt Kirsch wrote:Only problem with involving conservation boards is you become beholden to them. If you want their help you are forced to do exactly what they tell you to do with your property, nothing more and nothing less, always and forever.
I haven't found that to be the case in Missouri. I have found the university extension, conservation, USDA offices and their resources to be very helpful.

Some programs place restrictions on your property usage. If the restrictions are unsatisfactory, you do not have to apply for the programs.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:45 am

From today's local newspaper. Missouri Department of Conservation offers native warm-season grass workshops in Linn. Workshops are free, as in no cost, in Linn, Missouri. A description of the presentation(s) is provided.

I have takes a number of courses, work shops, etc., put on by various governmental agencies. The most expensive was $75- for a month long forestry management course/seminar. $15- for a 3 night course/seminar on Missouri fence law.

The $15- spent on the Missouri fence law seminar/course was well worth the money and my classroom time. Attended a free seminar was on leasing/renting farm and hunting land.

Had several conservation agents with different specialties, state forester, on the property several times. No obligation or cost on my part.

Keeping this dissertation short, lots of free/low cost advice, resources, and help available .
I have an excuse. CRS.