A Mystery to Me--Loong Post

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Bill E Bob
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 74070
Circle of Safety: Y

A Mystery to Me--Loong Post

Postby Bill E Bob » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:45 pm

'56 LoBoy, fresh engine overhaul. New .030 aluminum pistons, new crankshaft, new std bearings for crankshaft, new valve train/valve job, different crankshaft gear. This block was previously sleeved (all 4 cyl) all were bored to .030. Ring end gaps were checked and in spec. All bearings checked and in spec using plastigauge. 12v conversion using rebuilt alternator.
Oil pump primed before start up.

Problem: Immediate start up with good oil pressure and runs fine for a while, no undue noises etc. Engine will start to labor and shut down, would suspect seizing, but immediate restart with no drag on starter, runs awhile longer, labors, shuts down. Checked fan hub and oiled, checked alternator not seized. Pulled head, checked cyl walls, no scoring, scratches etc. Pulled rod caps, all bearings OK. Reassembled and same problem: Runs fine for awhile, labors, shuts down, immediate restart--repeat. Hydraulics not installed. converted to 12v coil. Plenty of fuel.

Am at a total loss with this one. :surrender: Any and all suggestions/opinions appreciated.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Re: A Mystery to Me--Loong Post

Postby Don McCombs » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:53 pm

You say plenty of fuel, but have you checked for good fuel flow from the tank through the carburetor?
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:16 pm

Sounds like a low fuel flow problem.

If it were an ignition problem, engine wouldn't immediately restart. Probably take 15 to 20 minutes before restarting.

If the engine were seized from heat, wouldn't immediately or within a few minutes restart.

Edit. Oil pressure about 20 to 30 seconds after engine start up?
I have an excuse. CRS.

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:10 pm

when it starts to cut off, pull out the choke and see what happens
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

slowpoke
Zip Code: l3b1l1

Postby slowpoke » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:41 pm

A long shot maybe but the other fellow mentioned fuel flow.Friend had a similar problem with his boat turns out the vent for the fuel tank was plugged so that once you drew enough fuel out of the tank you created enough vacuum that the pump could not overcome .If you fuel cap vent is plugged the same thing would occur.Try running without the cap and see what happens.

Bill E Bob
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bill E Bob » Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:48 am

Currently using pony tank with in-line fuel filter. Will remove filter and see what happens. Will post results. Thanks for suggestions.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:58 am

Bill E Bob wrote:Currently using pony tank with in-line fuel filter. Will remove filter and see what happens. Will post results. Thanks for suggestions.
Might try loosening cap on pony tank in case it's vent is plugged, also make sure filter is for a gravity flow system. If it is for fuel pump system it will restrict flow.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

housebg
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 70785
Tractors Owned: 1950AV Farm all High clearance
1952 Farm all Cub
1958 Farm all Cub
1959 Farm all Cub Lowboy
1951 Farm all Super A
1942Farm all B
1944Farmall B
2000Yanmar YM 2000
Gravely 5665
David Brown 880

Postby housebg » Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:46 am

I had a similar problem it did not die but it would stall down the power wire had broken and was just touching the starter and it did all kinds of stuff . Try running with a jumper wire from battery to coil and see cheep fix and may help Billy :)): :)):

Crimson Tim
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: 32736
Tractors Owned: The crew:
"John", 1952 Cub
"Paul", 1951 Cub
"George", 1958 LoBoy Cub with Wagner 45 Loader
"Ringo", 1977 Cub

So far, Paul and Ringo have arrived. John and George will follow in a few weeks.

Postby Crimson Tim » Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:18 pm

Had a similar problem. There was rust in the tank. Cleaned out the fuel lines and it ran great. For a while.

So I rigged up a pony tank, keeping the inline fuel filter that the tractor had used before. It ran great. For a while. There was a little rust sediment in the bottom of the filter, but it looked ok. I removed the filter, and just ran the line about 8" directly from the pony tank to the carb with nothing else that could in any way cause a problem.
It has been running fine ever since, and have mowed 3 acres a couple of times with it now.

It did die on me once, but a quick shot of carb cleaner into the carb inlet screen, and it cleared right up.

From my admittedly limited experience with Cubs so far, in spite of the fact that Cubs are considered to be very fuel efficient, when they need fuel, they need fuel, and are VERY sensitive to any restriction or diminishment in flow!

Another quick test to determine if fuel is your problem: when it starts to stumble and die, unplug the hose from the air cleaner and give it a shot of starting fluid into the air inlet side of the carb. If it picks up and runs fine on that for a few seconds, then you have air, spark and compression, and you have just provided it a temporary source of fuel. Therefore, fuel is the missing element to run properly on its own.

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:27 pm

Bill E Bob wrote:Currently using pony tank with in-line fuel filter. Will remove filter and see what happens. Will post results. Thanks for suggestions.

Pull the choke out when it dies, if it helps you have fuel problems
Boss
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Bill E Bob
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bill E Bob » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:05 pm

Update:
Checked and changed carbs (prev one was flooding). Started and ran fine, oil pressure at high idle 40# low idle 20#
Plenty of fuel, timing good, runs fine till it gets warmed up, lugs down, then stops, immediate startup--repeat. Engine will low idle for longer period of time than it will at high idle or load. I give up! Will completely disassemble engine, check all clearances/areas of possible overheating/seizing and report back. This WILL NOT beat me!!
Thanks to all who contributed, you deserve an answer, may be awhile, but I will let all know what the problem was.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:00 pm

Bill E Bob wrote:I give up! Will completely disassemble engine, check all clearances/areas of possible overheating/seizing and report back. This WILL NOT beat me!!
Probably be faster and a whole lot cheaper to solve the fuel flow problem.
I have an excuse. CRS.

slowpoke
Zip Code: l3b1l1

Postby slowpoke » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:12 pm

Absolutely right about the fuel flow.Don't take that engine apart.

Clark Thompson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44425
Tractors Owned: I own a 1950 cub demo, 1948 farmall cub, 1944 International I-9, a 1976 internationl cub, a 1975 international cub with fast hitch roleover plow and disc. a 1962 JD-440 dozer with 253 detroit, a 1952 JD-B, a 1979 international 3200 skid loader, a 1957 international S-160 truck, a 1929 Mccormic deering 10-20, a 1952 case S0 tractor. a pennsylvaning meteor rgarden tractor and sevrial cub cadets.

Postby Clark Thompson » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:22 pm

Assuming fuel and ignition are in working order I would suspect improper piston and cylinder clearances. I also had that problem with a engine that had been machined to book specifications. These days it is required to have the pistons in hand so the machine shop can properly fit them.cast iron pistons require .003 and aluminum pistons require .004. I had this problem a while back. test run a cub engine . When it got to operating temp the engine would labor and stop.Cooled down, would fire right up. Had to have machine shop refit the pistons.Solved the problem.
Collector of Farmall cubs and cub cadets.Injoy helping people keep their cubs running. Years of experipnce.

Bill E Bob
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bill E Bob » Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:21 pm

Thanks Clark, exactly what I'm thinking. Fuel flow is good, rebuilt carb, timing spot on, fan hub good, alternator good there is nothing left to explain the problem. This ain't my first rodeo and is my 4th engine rebuild. As mentioned, will report back, maybe a fault in my original measurements.