This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Opinions on oil pressure/oil pickup

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"
Circle of Safety: Y

Opinions on oil pressure/oil pickup

Postby staninlowerAL » Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:50 am

My LoBoy engine has not been started for about 3 months due to a fuel leak. After repairing the fuel leak and starting the engine for the first time I noticed that the oil pressure gauge did not register. I shut down the engine, begin checking and found the oil level was about 1.5 quarts low. I knew the oil was somewhat low but there has never been a problem with the oil pressure. I added enough to almost reach the FULL mark and restarted the engine and running at medium idle rpm, the oil pressure immediately came up to above 30 psi cold, after warming up it still holds about 20 psi. I did not prime the oil pump, move the tractor or do anything else except add oil. The question for opinions is: (1) is it possible that the oil level was low enough to be below the pickup point or (2) possibly a hole in the pickup line that allowed the pump to not pull the oil from the pan? Anyone experienced a similar problem? :?: Thanks, Stan
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Re: Opinions on oil pressure/oil pickup

Postby Scrivet » Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:32 am

Sorry, don't have any experience with your question. I make it a habit, unless I've used it already that day, to always check the oil and coolant levels before starting, especially one that's been sitting three months. It's part of my starting routine just like turning on the gas, shaking hands with the shifter, increasing the throttle or pulling out the kill switch. At least you were watching the oil pressure, which should also be done on every startup.

OK, for some reason "turning on the gas" isn't part of my startup routine every time :oops: . Of course when that happens, it's not really the startup routine but the beginning of the troubleshooting routine, which turns into the Homer Simpson routine (DOOOOOOH!), which then returns to the startup routine.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Re: Opinions on oil pressure/oil pickup

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:23 pm

On a cub the oil pump is behind the upper left edge of the flywheel, rather than in the oil pan as most engines are. It has to suck the oil up through passages in the block, then fill the oil galleries and oil filter housing before any pressure shows. Since it was 1 1/2 quarts low, and only holds 3 quarts, It may not have had enough oil to prime and build pressure.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Return to “Farmall Cub”