This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Took a look at a '48 Cub tonight

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Westy
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 61701

Took a look at a '48 Cub tonight

Postby Westy » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:47 pm

Hello all - first post here. I went and looked at a 1948 (need to confirm) Cub tonight. A buddy's father-in-law is selling it to make room for an Allis Chalmers C that he is bringing home tomorrow. He has owned this Cub for 4-5 years now, got it in a swap for another old tractor. He said it was pretty rough when he got it but he spent a winter repairing and restoring it. I know he worked over the front end, the grill and tie rod ends were bent and one of the front spindles was broke. The right rear wheel had some damage from sitting with a flat tire for a while so he repaired that and put tubes in the tire. He reground the valves in the motor and put new rings in and put a new clutch in it. He cleaned everything else up put a fresh coat of paint on it. One front light and the rear light turned on, I need to investigate while the left front light didn't come on, not sure if it was just a bulb or if there is a wiring issue.

He also put a fresh battery in it Sunday (still running the 6 volt system). It started right off today, the clutch and transmission all felt really good. The engine has a pulse when sitting in neutral but smooths right out when you put it in gear and purrs right along. After he got it together it's been in a couple parades but hasn't been run otherwise so I'm wondering if the pulse at idle is a carb issue. He is asking $1,600 with an old Woods 42" (I think) belly mower, he said it was a Woods mower.

Climbing up on that thing tonight brought back a lot of memories. The last time I was on a Farmall I was about 7 years old, riding with grandpa on his H and F-20. I still remember both of those "last rides" like they were yesterday. Tonight I had my 3 year old with me and he got a short ride before a nasty storm rolled in and made us retreat back to the barn. Which turned out ok because there was an old Oliver 88, two Farmall M's, A JD 60, 3 JD A's and an old Ford PowerMaster 841 to look at.

Here are some pictures.

Thoughts? Anything in particular I should take a second or closer look at?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Slim140
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: .
1970 International 140
1972 International 140
1949 John Deere A
1993 Ford 4630 W/Loader
1965 John Deere 110
1961 Cub Cadet Original
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Took a look at a '48 Cub tonight

Postby Slim140 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:42 am

It's knee deep in rubber and pretty straight, I think $1,600 is a fair price. People will say "if it had --blank-- it would help it" but you know what, if your happy and it runs good, has good tires on it and is pretty straight go for it. If it needed work as soon as you get it home I would say try and get him down some.
Every home is a school, what are you teaching?

Circle of Safety

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:46 am

Welcome to the forum!

That's not a bad price for what I'm seeing. The Woods mower (in good shape and working condition) is worth about $250, so you're buying the Cub for about $1350. That's a good price for the shape it's in. Newer matching tires and a front bumper to boot.

Not advising you to buy or walk, but I've seen a lot of Cubs on C*list priced for a lot more and not looking near that good. If you do buy, you won't be overpaying, that's for sure.

There are Owner and Service manuals available for download in the "PDF Manuals" link across the top of the screen. Let us know what you decide...
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

SouthernOutlaw
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36736

Postby SouthernOutlaw » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:06 am

The same cub selling where I live would not sell for less than 2500.00. Woods mower runs 300.00 to 350.00. Full set of cultivators will cost 500.00 to 600.00. I have found a few not running that I can get for that price. I need to move.

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514

Postby tst » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:50 am

check the serial # for the year, that may be a 47?, it appears to have a fine mesh grille which was 47 only

Westy
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Westy » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:40 pm

Thanks for the welcomes and information so far. I will definitely see if I can track down the serial number plate. I didn't see it last night, is it usually located up towards the front of the tractor on the right hand side? If I can't find it, I'll get some casting numbers off it Saturday when I go back out for a second look. I'm leaning heavily towards making it mine. :mrgreen:

I've also read up on the governor adjustment so cleaning the carb and adjusting the governor will be the first two steps I take to see if that gets ride of the surge when in neutral.

RogerW
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 50662

Postby RogerW » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:47 pm

Nice looking Cub, Matt. Glad to see you found the Cub site, too.
Roger

Westy
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Westy » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:15 pm

RogerW wrote:Nice looking Cub, Matt. Glad to see you found the Cub site, too.
Roger

Uncle Roger! I was just going to give you a shout to see if this was the forum you were on. Dad is coming up Saturday to go take a look and more importantly take it for a ride. I didn't have to twist his arm too hard once he knew there was a shed full of old tractors to look at.

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:18 pm

Stanton wrote:...... The Woods mower (in good shape and working condition) is worth about $250, ...........

SouthernOutlaw wrote:....... Woods mower runs 300.00 to 350.00. ........

99% of that mower is not a Woods mower. It's a Danco/IH C2 with at least one broken skid, and a home made mule drive/drawbar combination. The only thing Woods about it is the bracket on the lift arm is off a Woods 59. Should be a functional mower as is is that's all you need or want.

I think the price is reasonable if the tractor runs like it looks and everything checks out. If you have to fix a PTO, TOB, something electrical then it's a little steep.

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:36 am

Scrivet wrote:99% of that mower is not a Woods mower. It's a Danco/IH C2 with at least one broken skid, and a home made mule drive/drawbar combination. The only thing Woods about it is the bracket on the lift arm is off a Woods 59. Should be a functional mower as is is that's all you need or want.

I think the price is reasonable if the tractor runs like it looks and everything checks out. If you have to fix a PTO, TOB, something electrical then it's a little steep.

Sorry I got that wrong. Agree with Scrivet about the condition vs. pricing. Of course, the "I've got to have it" factor may play heavily into this scenario as well... :coffee:
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

KETCHAM
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44645
eBay ID: kevinb2366
Tractors Owned: 47 Cub 48 Cub 50 H

Postby KETCHAM » Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:22 pm

fair price...I'd want it running.....sounds like he did a bit of work to it...If I needed it ....try to talk him down a bit if not running...Kevin
47 CUB[Krusty] 49 CUB[Ollie] 50 H-- PLOWS DISCS MOWERS AND lots more stuff!!Life is to short -Have fun now cause ya ain't gonna be here long!!!!

Westy
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Westy » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:34 pm

Scrivet - thanks for the information on the mower deck, I'll take any and all information I can at this point so I can start doing some research on the components. Since that picture was taken he has repaired the broken skid. I didn't get a chance to try the mower but he had it out and mowed a bit before I got there and the storm moved in. I"ll give it a shot tomorrow when I head back.

The engine sounds really good as well as the clutch and transmission. In neutral it's got a pulse but from what I have read that could be either a carb issue (it has done more sitting than running the last few years) or possibly an adjustment with the governor.

Westy
5+ Years
5+ Years

Re: Took a look at a '48 Cub tonight (turned out to be a '47

Postby Westy » Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:23 pm

Update: All the casting numbers indicate it's a 1947 except the casting number on the engine block and that shows the block is from 1952. So it's a '47 that at some point had a motor swap. Dad and I ran it a fair bit this morning and did some mowing and the surge seems to only be at idle so we are suspecting the idle jet is partially plugged.

So we are bringing it home for $1,500. I am going to go pick it up next weekend. :tractor:

RogerW
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 50662

Postby RogerW » Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:59 pm

Have fun, Matt.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:34 pm

Westy wrote:In neutral it's got a pulse but from what I have read that could be either a carb issue (it has done more sitting than running the last few years) or possibly an adjustment with the governor.
Linkage adjustment between the carburetor and governor arm, on left side of tractor.

If that doesn't fix the problem, bottle of carburetor cleaner in fuel tank.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Return to “Farmall Cub”