This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Safely Set Rear Tires Wider

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Fire41fighter
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 17842
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub SN - 31553
1988 Kubota B3200
1982 JD 400
Circle of Safety: Y

Safely Set Rear Tires Wider

Postby Fire41fighter » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:07 pm

I have a hilly farmstead and need to set the rear tires wider on my '48. They are currently set to 44". Where can I find the process to safely block the front axle and set the rear tires wider? Also the front axle is pretty well frozen and I doubt it will extend without a lot of effort and damage risk. The tractor has been well kept before I got it and Id hate to screw it up! Is it ok to leave it set at 44" while widening the rear? Thanx!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Re: Safely Set Rear Tires Wider

Postby Bob McCarty » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:21 pm

If you go to this link: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=82618&p=661191&hilit=Wedging+front+axle#p661191 and skip down several posts, you'll see a picture of wooden wedges in place. You want to fasten them with a large hose clamp, C clamp, etc. so they can't slip out. If you do a search, you can find some threads on how to separate the front axle. Probably safest to have both front and rear wide with weights. If it doesn't feel safe to you, it probably isn't when you're on the hill.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:40 pm

Hi,
Here is a page from the Cub owner's manual showing the different rear wheel spacings.
This would be the right rear wheel in the drawing. :)

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... age-45.jpg

Puffie40
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
1939 Farmall H
1959 MF 202
1965 MF 180
1937 Caterpillar 22

Postby Puffie40 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:47 pm

If you strip down the front axle it is pretty easy to wrestle with it.

You can either soak it in diesel for a few days, or take an acetylene torch and heat the center part to dull red.

A fabricator can help you with the heating part. After its loose, polish off the rust and slather never-sieze on the axles before reinstalling them.

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:29 am

I've changed rear tires on multiple Cubs and personally never had any indication that the tractor might tip over. I've taken the entire right final drive off and there was no indication that the Cub was ever unstable.

It's not necessary to jack the tractor a foot in the air. The higher you jack the tractor the more unstable it will be, and you can flip it over if you jack it high enough.

Just an inch or two to get the weight off the tires. You don't want to lift the tires anyway. They're heavy.

Even in the youtube video demonstrating how "easy" it is to tip a Cub over with a wheel removed, it took multiple attempts, with increasing force in each attempt, to get the tractor to finally do what it was supposed to.

I do have a set of wedges for splitting, and if I thought for a moment that there would be a problem, I would use them.

The wedges themselves are just some wedge-shaped pieces I cut off the end of some old computer server ramps. Made from 2x4's, about 8" long. The actual angle is not important. If it doesn't wedge, just nip off the tip a little and try again.

Fire41fighter
5+ Years
5+ Years
1988 Kubota B3200
1982 JD 400

Postby Fire41fighter » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:19 am

Great! Thanx all for the advice.

leerenovations
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 74857
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick Farmall Cub (Farmalice), 1949 Ford 8N (Red), Unidentified horse drawn road grader with 8 ft moldboard.

Postby leerenovations » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:09 pm

When I went to loosen mine up. heres some hints for the front axle: lots of PB blaster all around any opening it can seep into, loosen the clamps and drive it around a little ( it can help break the front axle free), You can ratchet strap a 2x4 onto the drop spindle and use it as a lever to help loosen it up. And afterwards, I wrapped sandpaper around a 1x1 stick and used it to clean out all the rust ( you could also use an engine hone of the appropriate size). And as others have said, liberally coat the inside and axle extension with antiseize. I use the copper antiseize, It just seems like tis better quality than the aluminum antiseize.

BTW, if you are a firefighter based on your screenname. Glad to meet you brother. Always glad to meet other brothers who serve under the Maltese cross. Ive sucked lots of nails out of floors.
Tractors are like watermelons: the RED is good and you throw away the GREEN.

Fire41fighter
5+ Years
5+ Years
1988 Kubota B3200
1982 JD 400

Postby Fire41fighter » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:32 pm

Thanx for the advice!! Been a volunteer firefighter/paramedic in Maryland for 40 years...time now to retire to the farm in PA and play with tractors and let the youngins smoke dive! Nice to meet you brother!

leerenovations
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 74857
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick Farmall Cub (Farmalice), 1949 Ford 8N (Red), Unidentified horse drawn road grader with 8 ft moldboard.

Postby leerenovations » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:13 pm

You too, I was a LE officer for years then I became a Volly and love it. We run a ton of fires. Mostly wildland fires, that's our bread and butter. I have gone through all my training all the way up through FF2 and also a lot of specialized rescue training. We are on a county and regional task force and we are also on the statewide strike team. I also have my red card to deploy to federal lands. I guess Im an adrenaline junkie. Hope I can make 40 years, that a hell of an achievement for running fires. Don't have my EMT tet, but really ready to do it. Enjoy your retirement brother, you've earned it.
Tractors are like watermelons: the RED is good and you throw away the GREEN.

Return to “Farmall Cub”