This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

What all can I do with my Cub Lo Boy?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Phydeaux
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 80433

What all can I do with my Cub Lo Boy?

Postby Phydeaux » Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:00 pm

Hi everyone, I'm a newbie fixing up a '56 Cub Lo Boy. Here's a link to my thread in the "introduce yourself" forum:
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=93328
Here's what it looked like when we got it:

It's been sitting for a couple decades, but I'm getting there. I'm going through the "What do with a Cub you just brought home" thread. With the knowledge here in the forum, the manuals, and the big box of parts I got from TM, I have a lot to keep me busy for a while. Bob McCarty went through the carb for me. (Thanks Bob!) I probably would've broken things if I had tried to rebuild it.
Anyway, when I get it running, I want to know what implements I can put on a Lo Boy. It has a Fast Hitch, and Touch Control. I have a snow plow blade for the front, and a homemade Fast Hitch spike with a trailer ball for spotting trailers. We have a horse, so I was thinking about a manure spreader. I was also thinking about a mower. I also want to do a vegetable garden, maybe 1/4 acre, and thought the cub would be perfect. I'm mechanically inclined, and do excavating and driveway work with a Bobcat & a bunch of attachments here in the foothills outside of Denver, but I've never been around ag equipment, and don't even know what all the implements do, or what I need for a garden. I could really use a primer on that topic. I'll be amending what laughingly passes for topsoil up here with some composted horse manure, which I would normally rototill in. What would I use with the Cub to do that? What exactly does a cultivator do? A disc harrow? (see what I mean?) Sorry for the ignorance, but I never was around agriculture.

Thanks in advance,
Hal

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: What all can I do with my Cub Lo Boy?

Postby Eugene » Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:24 pm

http://www.tmtractor.com/tm-tractor/gim/gim_001.htm

Above link from TM tractor parts has photos of various Cub implements. Also above, PDF manuals, free down load on the Cubs and implements.

Before you purchase implements, spend some time visiting local truck farmers, and other folks who garden in your area. They will be your best source of information on implements and garden crops.

You may not need a lot of farm tractor implements since you have a Bob Cat and landscaping implements.

I have used my smallest skid steer to clean cattle manure out of sheds. Worked great. Piled the manure and let it compost.

Manure spreader. Usually used to spread fresh or partially composted manure. Unless you have tons of fresh manure to spread, not worth the cost and effort for 1/4 acre. Just my opinion.
I have an excuse. CRS.

CapeCodCubs
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 02747
Tractors Owned: .
1948 F Cub Fast hitch
1949 F Cub
1950 F Cub Fast hitch
1965 Loboy Fast hitch
1966 Loboy with 1000 loader
1976 International Cub
several walk behind garden tractors
(20) FastHitch implements
tons' of cultivating and planting stuff
C-16 Cub Middlebuster
(2) A33 Cub bean harvester
NOS Planet Jr. planter
172 planter, large combo hopper, 101A fertilzer hopper
Cole 250# fertilizer hopper with chain drive.

Postby CapeCodCubs » Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:45 pm

Hi,

You can plow and harrow the garden but the cultivators that usually mount under the regular cubs don't have the clearance. You might be able to cultivate with a fast hitch tool bar with shovels if you can find or make one up.

Be careful when looking for a fast hitch harrow. There are two, actually four styles that were made. The ones for the loboy are different than the regular farmall. They came in 2 widths also...4 and 5 feet widths. The fast hitch plow works with either loboy or the regular cub.

Check out the equipment manuals for the Loboy. Plenty of good reading and browsing

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:10 pm

Couple more thoughts.

Some garden crops can be maintained with a cultivator, some can not. Crop spacing is a consideration for use of cultivators. Need to plan garden crops before purchasing implements. Depending on type of crops, crop spacing, a rototiller will cultivate. Frequently faster with a rototiller than mounting up a cultivator set.

Investigate having a neighbor plow the garden spot for the first year or two.

Consider small tow behind implements from 2 wheeled garden tractors and 4 wheeled garden tractors. Then can be obtained at very little to no expense. Only problem with them is that it takes more passes to cover ground than with larger Cub styled implements. Also, most will work well if towed behind a garden tractor.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Phydeaux
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Phydeaux » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:52 pm

Here's what it looks like now...
IMGP1173.JPG

IMGP1174.JPG

Is this a 60 year old 6v coil?
IMGP1175.JPG

The manure spreader wouldn't be for the garden, but for about an acre of pasture for the horse.
My object here isn't necessarily to do something the fastest, or most efficient, or cheapest. I like old equipment and want to do things with the Cub. It was my father-in-law's tractor. He recently passed, and I think he'd like nothing better than for me to get it running so his daughter could use it. That's what she wants, too.
I also don't have neighbors here that are working land with tractors. Lots of horse people, but not farmers...
The soil here is about 3" of topsoil on top of decomposed granite. I could take the skid steer and dig up the top foot of soil, mix in the compost and such, but I want to use the cub. I assume I need to plow it up, spread the compost over it, and use a disc or spring tooth harrow to mix it up, correct?
Hal

indy61
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby indy61 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:10 pm

Phydeaux wrote:Is this a 60 year old 6v coil?

Yes and the rest of the tractor looks to be mostly original. What's the serial number?

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:18 pm

The IH 100 manure spreader was made for the cub, but are scarce. There are several small spreaders, made for horse owners, available. Millcreek, is one. Northern Tool has one, that works reasonably well. I had one of those Northern Tool ones. I now use an IH 100. Horse manure/bedding is one of the best amendments for soil like yours. A neighbor gives me loads of it, delivered and dumped, with a dual axle dump trailer. I use it generously, on the gardens. My niece's father in law, plants a garden here. He commented today, about how much better his crops look, since the manure supply, showed up.
Spread manure, disk it in, and plant a cover crop. That will also improve the soil. I have a spot with thin soil, and it got 3 spreadings of manure, and a buckwheat cover crop. Buckwheat will be disked, within the next week or 2, and Sorghum/Sudan grass hybrid, planted. It will be 6 to 8 feet tall, by frost. That will be plowed in, and winter rye planted. May get another spreading of manure, at one of the plantings.
If you could make up cultivators for the lo-boy, it would be a great garden tool. Possibly some of the implements made for garden tractors, or 4 wheelers, could be adapted to the fast hitch, and solve your problem.
Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

indy61
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby indy61 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:36 pm

That's a nice find. I wouldn't even pressure wash it unless you need to. Wipe it down with a mixture of atf and kerosene and try to keep it as original as possible.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:12 pm

Couple of fantastic local resources. USDA (US Dept of Agriculture) and the state univ. extension office.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Phydeaux
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Phydeaux » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:34 pm

Indy- The serial number plate is missing, but from the casting numbers it's a '56.

Return to “Farmall Cub”