This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Generator Problems

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Rocket Man
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: n1e2b5
Tractors Owned: At the Farm today\
1951 Farmall Cub
1980 Roper 20t

Generator Problems

Postby Rocket Man » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:15 pm

Help
As I am in the middle of the season my cub has gone strong but I had a bad battery and replaced it and was up and running,
I made the mistake and went neg ground ( my 51 is positive ground 6 volt dist.) I ran for 15 min before I looked at the meter and saw it was reversed.
I then corrected the battery and ran it again,
but did not polarize the generator back.
Then yesterday ran all day at the end of the day I noticed some sputtering under load , but today it got real bad and now it will not run.
So I removed the regulator and the battery was still connected and the bottom screw turned red hot and there was smoke in the regulator...
I then removed the battery and opened the regulator on side was blackish I cleaned it off the reg points seemed fine ,
then I polarized the gen just to be sure, it ran fine for 15 minutes then it stalled and will not start,
it fires over and trys to start but sputters out and is in the field :cry:

So does the gen need to work for the tractor to run or can I remove the gen belt and get this tractor moving?
Is the reg and gen toast from the screwed up battery and switch?
Can the gen jam and there for cause then engine to not turn?
Please help as I only seem to be here in times of need..
Thanks
Rocket Man

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Generator Problems

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:20 pm

Does not need the generator, to run.
Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:23 pm

Check the condition of the points. Both surfaces need to be clean, not pitted and properly gapped, 013 for mag and 020 for distributor. You must have a spark as they open and close when the engine is turned.
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

Rocket Man
10+ Years
10+ Years
1951 Farmall Cub
1980 Roper 20t

Postby Rocket Man » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:36 pm

ScottyD'sdad wrote:Does not need the generator, to run.
Ed

Could the generator be broken and cause drag on the belt???

Rocket Man
10+ Years
10+ Years
1951 Farmall Cub
1980 Roper 20t

Postby Rocket Man » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:37 pm

staninlowerAL wrote:Check the condition of the points. Both surfaces need to be clean, not pitted and properly gapped, 013 for mag and 020 for distributor. You must have a spark as they open and close when the engine is turned.

Would this cause the slow break down over the last few days
as before the points seemed to stop the tractor from even starting,

could my regulator surge hurt the points and con...
thanks
Rocket Man

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:59 pm

Rocket Man wrote:
ScottyD'sdad wrote:Does not need the generator, to run.
Ed

Could the generator be broken and cause drag on the belt???

Remove the generator belt. That will eliminate the generator from the equasion.
Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:23 pm

Hi,
Remove the generator belt, and you can turn it's pulley by hand and see if it turns freely. I've never heard of a gen locking up.
I don't know why the connection at the regulator, or any others, is getting hot, unless it is dirty, and needs to be sanded and cleaned after removing the wire from the connection. Sand both on the regulator, and the wire end, then wipe them off with a clean rag.
Clean up the battery terminals and inside the cable ends too, and the ground cable at both ends. :)

Rocket Man
10+ Years
10+ Years
1951 Farmall Cub
1980 Roper 20t

Postby Rocket Man » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:06 pm

Could a battery short or the short today from moving the regulator cause the points to close or weld......

Rocket Man
10+ Years
10+ Years
1951 Farmall Cub
1980 Roper 20t

Postby Rocket Man » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:14 pm

Would the Gen and or the Reg at all effect the cub to run or is it just for the battery charging??
thanks

I will not be back in the field until tomorrow
and it will be hot....

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:29 pm

Disconnect the cable on the B terminal of the regulator. If there is a wire on the regulator's L terminal, disconnect it and fasten the B and L terminal wires together. Insulate the connection.

Charge up the battery. Now try to start the tractor. If tractor cranks over but doesn't start - ignition problem. If tractor starts and runs fine - that portion of the problem solved.

Have the regulator and generator tested. My guess, regulator is faulty.

To answer your prior question. Once tractor is running the generator and regulator provide power to primarily charge up the battery. But the electrical system provides power for the ignition system and lights. With a fully charged battery and no generator or regulator, the battery will operate the ignition system for days.

I think you have several problems. You just need to isolate and solve one problem at a time.
I have an excuse. CRS.

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:37 pm

Rocket Man wrote:
staninlowerAL wrote:Check the condition of the points. Both surfaces need to be clean, not pitted and properly gapped, 013 for mag and 020 for distributor. You must have a spark as they open and close when the engine is turned.

Would this cause the slow break down over the last few days as before the points seemed to stop the tractor from even starting,

thanks
Rocket Man

Let's go back and get a bit more info to be able to give good answers to your questions. What year/model is your Cub (FCub/Cub LoBoy/Number Series)? From your first post it appears to be a '51. Does it have a battery/distributor or magneto ignition system? Assuming 6v, has any part of the ignition system been changed from the 6v pos ground system on the early model Cubs? Is your regulator a regulator or cutout? One thing applies to all: If the tractor runs poorly or not at all after the engine has run to get to normal operating temperature, suspect a weak or bad coil and/or condenser. Stan
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

Rocket Man
10+ Years
10+ Years
1951 Farmall Cub
1980 Roper 20t

Postby Rocket Man » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:37 pm

thanks Eugene
the many problems is my fear
but onward

Rocket Man
10+ Years
10+ Years
1951 Farmall Cub
1980 Roper 20t

Postby Rocket Man » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:41 pm

staninlowerAL wrote:
Rocket Man wrote:

Would this cause the slow break down over the last few days as before the points seemed to stop the tractor from even starting,

thanks
Rocket Man

Let's go back and get a bit more info to be able to give good answers to your questions. What year/model is your Cub (FCub/Cub LoBoy/Number Series)? From your first post it appears to be a '51. Does it have a battery/distributor or magneto ignition system? Assuming 6v, has any part of the ignition system been changed from the 6v pos ground system on the early model Cubs? Is your regulator a regulator or cutout? One thing applies to all: If the tractor runs poorly or not at all after the engine has run to get to normal operating temperature, suspect a weak or bad coil and/or condenser. Stan

Thanks Stan
its a 51 with a dist 6 v pos ground with a regulator and has been kept original.
how to test the coil...
Rocket Man

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:22 pm

Rocket Man wrote:Would the Gen and or the Reg at all effect the cub to run or is it just for the battery charging?
Difficult problem to answer. As I previously stated with a fully charged battery and a disconnected regulator, the tractor will start and run for days.

If the cutout portion of the regulator is shorted out, it can discharge the battery is fairly short order.

If the battery voltage gets below 4.5 volts you will have problems cranking over the engine and more than likely the ignition will fail to function properly.

In my previous post I provided information on isolating the ignition system from the charging system. Once the systems are isolated you will be able to determine if the ignition system is good or faulty. Check the ignition system first. If faulty, solve it's problem(s).
I have an excuse. CRS.

Rocket Man
10+ Years
10+ Years
1951 Farmall Cub
1980 Roper 20t

Postby Rocket Man » Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:45 pm

Thanks
All
I replaced the points and voila,
wondering what dwell I should read
I got 40 degrees....

But its not charging right and now I think i did a number on the gen and or reg,,
so Sundays project is to get them out and take it to my local gen starter shop.

thanks
Again
Luv the cub

Instagram
@rockitfarmer

Return to “Farmall Cub”