This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cub Showing Discharge and Not Charging

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
CNB
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 39208

Cub Showing Discharge and Not Charging

Postby CNB » Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:34 pm

I have a 1964 yellow and white cub that I just purchased. The cub was changed to an electronic ignition by the seller. The cub cranks and runs good, but the ammeter shows discharge and it shows voltage (with a fully charged and new battery) to be low (not 12+). I have checked the wiring and did continuity tests. All check out good and appropriately connected to each location. I have noticed that there are two (2) wires coming out the distributor going to the coil. red to POS side, black to NEG side. I have also noticed the ignition wire from the switch going to the POS side of coil. The wiring diagram for cubs shows the switch wire going to the negative side. Could this be wrong? Could it be the problems with the charging issue? I would love to hear comments from anyone. I should also say that I have taken the generator to a shop and had it tested. It shows to be working and charging within proper limits. I have also replaced the voltage regulator with a new one. Responses are very much appreciated. This is a great site.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Cub Showing Discharge and Not Charging

Postby staninlowerAL » Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:33 pm

IMHO you need the wiring diagram for the electronic ignition to determine if it is installed correctly. If your tractor is now 12v neg ground it is correct for the switch wire to connect to the pos side of the coil. That's probably not your charging issue. It could be as simple as someone changed from 6v pos ground to 12v neg ground and the amp meter now shows discharge when the engine is running. If this is happening you can swap the wires on the amp gauge. Reference to checking the gen for output, is your gen 6v or 12v? What type regulator did you buy when you replaced the old one? If your 1964 tractor SN is below 224401 it would have originally been 6v pos ground according to Raymond's Database.
EDIT: Excuse my bad manners. Welcome to the Forum. I noticed your zip code puts you close to tmays in Raymond, MS. Also LA Cubfest will be in early March next year at Bogolusa LA. If you can make the trip, you won't regret it.
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Cub Showing Discharge and Not Charging

Postby tst » Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:42 pm

Here is test for the system, follow the test and it will find your problem
Attachments
08-Regulatortroubleshootingchartrev.gif